WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this a while back at a estate sale. It has the sicura s a 8800 movement in it. the watch will not wind. i think someone had over wound it at some point. the second hand moves and stays moving if you keep teh little second hand movement going. I have not tried moving it for long periods of time to see in the hour hands move.

I am looking for info on it.
if anyone knows if it a pilots watch or something along those lines
if it has a model name
what watch band came with it
what year it came out

thank you

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,925 Posts
if anyone knows if it a pilots watch or something along those lines
It is not a pilot's watch and wasn't used as a pilot's watch. I do not believe that pilots even in the 60ties relied on a pin lever movement. The Ebauche Bettlach 8800 has been a very simple and cheap movement.
if it has a model name
I am not aware of any name, commonly known as Sicura chrono.
what watch band came with it
stainless steel bracelet, other chronos have been fitted with a leather strap as well
what year it came out
60ties.

Will move your post to our Vintage & Pocket Watches Forum.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,632 Posts
These watches are often refered to a 'yacht timers' due to the 15 minute markings that relate to the start of a yacht race. You will see the same colour coding on the minute counter of many of Sicura's full-chronograph watches, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for this info

Sicura Chronograph "Countdown"

Circa 1975
Chronograph movement with manual winding caliberEB 8420
17 jewels - 18000 a / h - power reserve 42 hours
Case and steel back
Dimensions: diameter 40 mm excluding crown, 42mm from handle to handle, 15mm

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yachting watches are making a comeback. I have a Gallet yachting chrono, a nice-looking watch. As I understand it, the Regattas are signaled by cannon shot at 10 minutes to start of race, and then again at 5 min. The objective being getting the nose of your yacht as close as possible (without crossing) to the start line when the final cannon fires to start the race.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts