WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The single biggest lament I have with my life altering Apple watch is concerns about the interaction between electronic components and water. The last time I had a similar panic was when an idiotic seller shipped me a Rolex Oysterquartz with no back gasket installed (resulting in a frantic two hour drive to my watch monger to save the movement)

So, I came upon one of these on eBay and expect it in my mailbox today.

Since I'm already comfortable with a digital display, surrounding it with a plastic cover (which honestly makes the watch look more like a $60 Casio than a $500 work of craftsmanship) - I'm more than willing to lose the 'cool factor' in exchange for the peace of mind which comes from 50m of water resistance...or in my case? The ability to shower and pull a fish out of the stream without worry.

Catalyst has come up with a clever design which relies on a pressure seal between the inner silicon wrapping and a combination of pressure and static to make the outer edge seal against the touch screen - leaving the sapphire screen unencumbered. I have a tempered glass cover and expect that there is enough space on all four sides to fit the silicon seal - while still keeping my flawless screen protector in place. The result SHOULD be 100% case, screen and water protection.

Coolest part is that the case fits standard 24mm bracelets and straps so I can continue using what I already have.

Has anyone else used or tried one of these? I'll post a follow up once I have installed.

Exploded view

Model I'm getting - "Rescue Ranger" (which just means the button and wheel are red)

Wrist shot - doesn't seem to be too large (unlike the evil Lunatik)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Waste of money. I'd rather take any of my other watches if I want to swim or dive.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waste of money. I'd rather take any of my other watches if I want to swim or dive.
That would be completely reasonable were I still physically able to wear a traditional watch. I'm the fellow who went over to Apple due to disability - so, since I expect to wear this or one of its descendants from now on? The additional water resistance and shock protection is not optional.

·
Registered
17,845 Posts
Maybe the shock protection would be good. The water resistance doesn't matter too much to me as I said, since I regularly wash mine and have already had it submerged in a swimming pool. The problem I've had with water was when I try to use the screen while it's wet; capacitive screens normally get wacky when either the glass or finger is wet.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That would be completely reasonable were I still physically able to wear a traditional watch. I'm the fellow who went over to Apple due to disability - so, since I expect to wear this or one of its descendants from now on? The additional water resistance and shock protection is not optional.
All right, since you've stated your condition, then it's more viable.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That is a very interesting watch case. Please share your review on this case, I have a lifeproof on my iPhone so having this on the watch would almost make me waterproof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts