WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with GoldSmithWorks for vintage chrono servicing? I see that they have an offer on eBay for $175 for a full service cleaning.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,289 Posts
Sorry, I have no experience. 175 bucks sounds rather at the lower end for a decent service on a chronograph, however.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2 Posts
You get what you pay for on a good day . That price is scary .
NOT TO BE OFFENSIVE, BUT---I CANNOT BUT THINK JUST HOW SCARY YOU GUYS ARE... ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU MAKE A CONCLUSION BASED ON PRICE!

THAT PRICE IS NOT FOR SERVICING.. IT IS FOR A TOTAL RESTORATION... INCLUDING THE SERVICE/OVERHAUL OF MOVEMENT

MAN JUST HOW SCARY IS THAT

I HAVE 35000 PICTURES OF MY WORKS ONLINE--AND WELL OVER 175000 ON MY TWO SERVERS. I HAVE 10 WEBSITES AND OFFER A FREE WARRANTY.. A GREAT WARRANTY ONE FULL YEAR.. OH, LEST I FORGET, I HAVE A THIRD SERVER FOR MY FREE APPRAISALS...

GOOGLE 'GOLDSMITHWORKS NAME' OF WATCH OR TYPE LIKE 'MILITARY' OR TRENCH OR ANYTHING

TRY 'WATCH BOX'

I HAVE RESTORED JUST ABOUT EVERY TYPE STYLE MAKE AND MANNER OF WATCH TIMER AND OTHER DEVICES.

YOU HAVE TO SEE MY WWII CRONOS.. MAN

OR THE SEIKOSHA JAPANESE 1935-45 MODELS FROM BEING IN WATER TO LIKE BRAND NEW

NOW, I DO NOT JUST TALK THE TALK, I HAVE DONE THE TALK AND YOU CAN SEE MY WORKS. FROM MY 18 GALLERIES TO MY 350 ALBUM GOOGLE SITE. FROM VIDEO ON YOU TUBE TO WEB CAMS AT MY STUDIO 24/7... I HAVE FULL BOXES IN MUSEUMS -- GALLET PURCHASED 5 OF MY PIECES.. ALPINA PURCHASED ONE OF MY ORIG RESTORED WWI CONVERSIONS.. FACTORY CONVERSIONS FOR A MUSEUM ..

THESE IS NOT A DIAL WE CANNOT RESTORE

YES I AM PROUD BUT NOT BRAGGING.. MAYBE I SHOULD????

I OFFER A FREE TICKET SYSTEM. FREE. ANYONE CAN RECEIVE FREE INFO ON WATCHES THEY HAVE OR WANT TO INVEST IN..

GOLDSMITH WORKS HAS PRESS TV FEATURES AND A LIST OF CLIENTELE THAT IS STUNNING-- TO ME AT LEAST..

I AM A NAM VET AND OWN SEVERAL BUSINESS'

BUT WATCHES ARE A HOBBY GONE WILD.

IF THE INDIVIDUAL CALLED US OR SIMPLY GOOGLED US I AM SURE HE/SHE WOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK FOLK WHO REPLY W/O KNOWING ABOUT US

NOW, 175 IS AUTO/MANUAL

CHRONO ALARMS DATER POINTERS ET AL 225

I ACCEPT PARTS FROM MY CLIENTS.

IN FACT, I AM EASY GOING. I DO NOT NEED THE BUCKS. WE OWN A 20 YEAR OLD HOST BIZ , AN 18 YEAR DESIGN BIZ AND SELL ENOUGH TO MAKE BUCKS

I'VE BEEN A PRECIOUS METAL DEALER 30 YEARS.

I LOVE TO RESTORE WATCHES. I HATE TO REPAIR THEM. SO, RESTORE AND I REPAIR..

I DO NOT, DO NOT, SERVICE OR REPAIR AS A SERVICE.. SEE? . HAVE A GREAT CONDITION WATCH.. I WILL NOT SERVICE OR REPAIR, HAVE A BEAT UP WATCH I DO IT ALL.

SO, JUST FIND OUT WHO IT IS NEXT TIME .. OH, AND I LISTEN TO PEOPLE, ACCEPT ADVICE AND DO NOT SAY I AM ANYTHING I AM NOT. I HAVE 20K IN ARTICLES ON JUST ABOUT EVERY WATCH. JUST COMPLETED AN 18K PATEK TIFFANY-- COMPLETE OVERHAUL RESTORE ---REPLACED PARTS INC MAIN AND BARREL... 400.00... THE PARTS WERE 214.00. YES THAT WAS CHEEEEEEEEEEEP

THERE ARE PICS OF A PRES ROLEX I OVERHAULED AND RESTORED WHITE GOLD DIAMONDS AWESOME SOLD FOR 12K IT WAS LOOKING RUNNING LIKE 40K

HEY, I UNDERSTAND YOUR REASON FOR THINKING THAT 175 MEANT LOW END WORK.. BUT TO WRITE IT??? WITHOUT CHECKING>>>

GLAD TO TALK WITH YA ANY TIME.

ROCK SCARFONE
GOLDSMITHWORKS.COM

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,289 Posts
Dear GoldsmithWatchWorks,

Welcome to the forum. I would like to point out that noone here gave you a bad reference. Two people (in their own way) advised caution with regard to the service to be expected for that sort of money and even you stated that "you understood our reasons for thinking that 175 meant low end work". To my mind, there are various possibilities, e.g.:

1. You are in a low wage country, enabling you to offer the work at such a low price (I have doubts about this - we are talking about the US, I presume?!)
2. The work will not be up to standard - corners will be cut (e.g. bad regulation, no cleaning of stains on parts, etc.) to save time and therefore expense
3. You are willing to take a loss on this, e.g. doing it more as a hobby and subsidising it via income from other sources

...and there may be other reasons. If No. 3. applies, I see no especial problems with trusting you to service or even restore a vintage watch. However, the abundance of people out there satisfying Point 2. makes it prudent to get some independent opinions first - which is, after all, what the original poster was doing, no more, no less. So, we currently have no experience based references, just two cautionary comments. Maybe some favourable references will come in to tip the balance in your favour. Until then, please regard the scales as hovering around the neutral mark rather than being tilted against you. :)

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I tried copying and pasting
GOLDSMITHWORKS.COM
into my Google browser. I get a tinkle of music but no web page opens?

adam

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
"WATCHES ARE A HOBBY GONE WILD" -- now THAT has the ring of truth to it! LOL

The website is quite confusing. But there is nothing that puts doubt on Rock being quite a character :) This is not the first time he has been discussed on WUS but I can see little to worry me in those discussions.

I don't think I would start out with a grail watch but personally I'd try him out at that price. It is lower than the trade price from my watchmaker but not unbelievably low.

If you go forward, please let us know how it turned out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SORRY FOR CAPS... THIS IS NOT MEAT TO BE OFFENSIVE. MY WRITINGS ARE ALL IN REPLY TO THE MOD POST...

FIRST WHAT WEBSITE IS CONFUSING? GET A JOB...

GOLDSMITHWORKS IS THE OLD JEWELRY SITE STARTED IN 1990 IOIT NOT LISTS THE SITES WE HAVE AND WHAT THEY DO, SIMPLY READ..

GOLDSMITHWATCHWORKS
OUR BASE WEBSITE WITH OUR RESTORATIONS AND GALLERIES. NO PASS REQUIRED
OVER 40,000 PICTURES ALONE

VINTAGETIMEREMADEINAMERICA
MY BLOG AND 500 PAGES INFO

MILITARYWATCHBOX
MY WATCH BOX SITE WHICH HAS BOZES CIVIL WAR TO IRA

WATCHESANDBOXES
OUR PHONE IPAD SITE
MOBLILE PLATFORM

LSYF
USERS SITE MEMBERS
OUTSIDE RESTORATIONS ON GOING

GOLDSMITHTRAINING OVER 2000 PICS OF OUR JEWELRY WORK
WE HAVE 100,000 PICS
TECHING GOLD AND SILVER SMITHING
HOW TO BUY SELL METAL
LICENSED SINCE 1985

ECALLINTERIORS
OURC LIVE ONGOING INTERIOR DESIGN 18YR

CORPORATEHOSTING
45 AWARDS HOSTING SINCE 1994 DEDICTED SERVICE SINCE 1996
LIVE BUT ONLY RECOMMENDED USERS

GSW AUTIONS
OUR EBAY SITE WE HAVE 5
3 UNDER ASSOCIATES

THERE IS A TICKET PROGRAM ALL USERS HAVE AWESOME ACCESS. WARRANTY
WORKS ARE HANDLED THROUGH THIS SITE

YOUTHOFAMERICA
SITE USED TI TRAIN YOUTH 1994 2004
NOW ROCKS HISTORY RESIDES THERE

THERE ARE OVER 35000 PAGES ON THE WATCHES
GALLERIES ON 5 SOCIAL SITES
GOOGLE HAS 1 GIG 350+ ALBUMS

NOW, NO OFFENSE.
HAVE FUN

GOOGLE

GOLDSMITHWORKS ANYTHING WATCH

DO IT...

YOU WILL NOT BE CONFUSED..
I HAVE 8 MORE SITES
INSTEAD OF CONFUSION, READ WHAT IS WRITTEN UNDER THE PICS ..

OH, 300,000 APPRAISALS RESIDE ONLINE

YOU CANNOT SEE ALL CAUSE PRIVACY

GOLDSMITHWORKS APPRAISAL

SEIKO DIVES>> I HAVE 300 RESTORED ONLINE

WWII JAPANESE, ALMOST EVERY TYPE

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT AFTER 20 YEARS ONLINE, 14 WEBSITES, OVER 35000 PICTURES OF MY WORKS EVERYWHERE-- 350 ALBUMS JUST ON GOOGLE! --THE FACT I SIGNED UP HERE ON THIS FORUM YEARS AGO WHEN IT WAS NO WHERE ANYWHERE .-- WELL AFTER I SIGNED UP WITH POLYGON IN 1992 AND WAS RESTORING BUYING/SELLING VINTAGE WATCHES ONLINE IN 1992!!!, ~-- , WITH OVER 50 ARTICLES OF PRESS ONLINE, DATING FROM 1989, --ALL POSITIVE, WITH CLIENTS INCLUDING MANY PUBLIC FIGURES , WITH AT LEAST 10,000 WRITTEN ARTICLES ONLINE, WITH THE PROOF OF MY WORKS ACTUALLY AT YOUR FINGERTIPS BY THE DROVES---WITHIN REACH OF YOUR KEY BOARDS, THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PROVE TO ANY ONE WHO I AM AND WHAT I DO?

THIS BEGAN WITH SEVERAL PEOPLE ASSUMING THAT 175.00 FOR A PRO, TOTALLY INCREDIBLE RESTORATION WITH THE MOST AMAZING WARRANTY, BY A COMPANY PROMINENT ONLINE AND IN THE PUBLIC.-NOT IN CHINA OR GERMANY OR IRELAND OR SOUTH AMERICA--WOULD BE TOO LOW A PRICE SO DO NOT DARE SEND YOUR WATCH.........

THAT IF IT WERE 175 THEN IT HAD TO BE A SCAM--...THEN CAME SECONDS FEEDING OFF THE FIRST AND THROUGH IT ALL WAS OUR MAIN NAME GOLDSMITHWORKS WAS THE JEST OF THESE POETS.

AND THEN THIS: NOT BASED ON ANY CREDENTIALS, BUT A MATTER OF FACT. UNLESS I WRITE ARTICLES ANSWER PEOPLE QUESTIONS AND PARTICIPATE IN THIS FORUM FOR.. MMMMM NO ONE SAID HOW LONG, I WOULD BE VIEWED AND OUR COMPANY WRITTEN OF IN THE ABOVE MANNER

NO MATTER THE EXPERIENCE...SO TO SPEAK.

AND IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE THAT THE WRITERS DID NOT EVEN CHECK US OUT???

SO YOU MUST KNOW THAT I WAS ASTONISHED WHEN DENISE CAME OVER 15 MINUTES AGO AND SAID THE MODERATOR SAID IT WAS A CASE OF YOU BEING NEW..... AND ONCE THEY NEW YOU... HOLY LIZARD TALES

DID I WRITE THAT CORRECT? WHAT IS IT WITH FORUM MODERATORS???

LOOK, I DID NOT POST HERE FOR ADVERTISING. NOR TO GET INTO IT WITH ANYONE. SEVERAL INDIVIDUALS, I SUSPECT WITH HISTORY?? OR MAYBE WALLS FULL OF DIPLOMAS.. SAID THAT 175 WAS TOO CHEAP ALLUDING TO THE NON FACT THAT THEY RECOMMEND THE PERSON SHOULD NOT DARE SEND A WATCH.

SLOW DOWN ROCK. FIRST, OF EVERY TEN RESTORES ONLY 3 WERE NOT MY RESTORES FOR SALE, I NEED NOT THE CASH NOR HASSLE, I HAVE 39000 TO 40,000 WATCHES ON THE STREETS OF THE WORLD. THE VA SAID THIS VIET VET CANNOT RIDE HIS BIKE AND TO SLOW DOWN, MY ANSWER WAS TO EXPAND MY RESTORES. SIMPLE.I PLACED SOME WRITINGS AND THERE WE WERE

IT WAS THESE POSTS THAT CAUSED THIS THE BAD MOUTHING

YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A FORUM GOES WILD WITH INNUENDO BASED ON THIN AIR...

SO I REPLIED AND LEFT THE IMPRESSION THAT ALL I DESIRED WAS THESE SMART MEN AND WOMAN TO "GO TO OUR SITES, GOOGLE GOLDSMITHWORKS WITH ANY WATCH NAME. PART OT QUESTION".. I BET THERE ARE FEW RESTORATION FOLK WHO CAN SHOW EVERY TYPE FROM PATEK AND ROLEX TO PIN LEVER MINE FIELDS THAT I HAVE RESTORED

MY WORKS INCLUDE 15 TO 30 PICS , CLEAR DETAILS, HISTORY AND MORE.

I WAS DOUBLY TICKED THAT A MOD WOULD ASSUME I NEED TO BE POSTING FOR A DECADE TO PROVE ANYTHING. HELL, I WAS POSTING BEFORE THIS FORUM WAS EVER EVEN A NEAR IDEA...

HARD WORK GUY.. GOT THAT? HARD WORK GUY. I WORK 20 HRS A DAY...

SO, HAVE SOME RESPECT, LOOK BEYOND THESE PAGES WHICH YOU SEEM TO RELY ON. I DID NOT SEEK THIS, YOU SOUGHT THIS.

HAS ANYONE HEARD SEEN THOUGHT BEEN KNOW GOLDSMITHWORKS

YOU KNOW WHAT IS INCREDIBLE? EVEN WHEN I RESEARCH A WATCH THE PICS THAT SHOW UP? IN 50% OF ALL SEARCHES OUR PICTURES ALSO SHOW UP IN THE MIX

SORRY IT SEEMS YOU WILL CONSIDER GSW GSWW MWB AND THE REST OF OUR BRANDS WORTHLESS CAUSE I SHAN'T BE BACK UNLESS MORE STUPID STUFF ARISES.

OH, I FORGOT. I HAVE AN APPRAISAL SERVER, UP SINCE 1994, OF COURSE THE SERVER HAS HAD UPGRADES. ON THIS SERVER RESIDES OVER 300,00 JEWELRY AND WATCH APPRAISALS, ARE YOU READING THIS?? 24 YEARS WITH 22 ONLINE.. THAT IS FACT POLYGOM MARCH 1992 USING THE FIRST WINDOWS BRAGGING ABOUT 10 MEG HARD DRIVE IN 1983.

BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW ME BEFORE YOU STAND UP FOR ME MINE AND OTHER AMERICAN WATCH AND JEWELRY FOLK?

LOOK I RESPECT EVERYONE FROM THE START NOT THE END.. OK? MAYBE IF PEOPLE DID SO WE WOULD SEE A BETTER WORLD.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO SUPPORTED OUR OPINION...
HAVE A GREAT WATCH DAY

ROCK SCARFONE
NEVER A WATCHMAKER ALWAYS A RESTORATION EXPERT

GOLDSMITHWORKS
GOLDSMITHWATCHWORKS
TIMEFRAUD
VINTAGETIMEREMADEINAMERICA
GSWAUCTIONS
GOLDSMITHTRAINING
WATCHESANDBOXES
ERCALLINTERIORS
CORPORATEHOSTING
MILITARYWATCHBOX

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
As I said before "But there is nothing that puts doubt on Rock being quite a character :)"...

There is a lot that might cause offense in your post but I personally take none. ... however, I am closing this thread. It seems like it will head somewhere where I will start personally taking offense and I don't want that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.