WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of selling almost everything and doing a major consolidation:

I think everything would potentially be sold except my Stowa Antea. I would probably also keep the Seiko quartz diver as a beater.

watches I would be interested in getting:
1) Rolex No Date Sub 14060 - i'm not interested in the newer ceramic version
2) Explorer I -114270
3) First Omega in Space Speedy
4) Polar Explorer II

I think I'm prepared to give up my MKII Nassau, Oris Aquis, Sinn 556A and Damasko for one Rolex Sub No Date.
Not sure If I want to sell my Railmaster and GS and Nomos to get a Explorer I. I might just keep the Railmaster and sell GS and Nomos and put whatever I had set aside for watches this year towards a number 3 or number 4 on the list.
The one that will be the most painful to let go of is going to be my Damasko.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Nope, not even a single time have I regretted. I have heard others disagree (as I'm sure people will in this thread) but consider this:

You only have two wrists and if you're like most people you only wear a watch on one of them at a time. I know there was a legendary .... producer who would wear a gold Rolex on both, saw it on a documentary, but that's beside the point. I'll assume that you're 1) Not a similarly employed individual and 2) Not currently wearing gold necklaces outside your pool in Miami overlooking the bay. I'll also assume you're not one of the Powerball winners from last week and therefore watch funds are limited to some degree.

So if you've only got a chance to wear one at a time then who needs more than 5, or even 10? Granted different outfits call for different watches, but let's just say you're going to go somewhere in between the cliche one-watch-for-all-occasions and 10-watches-for-each-occasion I feel that a collection of 3-5 carefully selected watches with strong resale value will make you happier than a collection of 10+ random watches that you've acquired during various styles/phases of your collecting days and life.

Keep in mind, if you pair down your collection to 3-5 and then find that you're starting to wear 2 more than the other 3 you are allowed to sell one or all of the other 3 to pick up something else that is carefully selected. You're not forbidden to ever buy and sell again, you'll just have a less complicated life when it comes to wrist accessory. Consider this... POTUS wears only one of two options for suit color everyday. When asked why he simply responded, "One less thing to worry about in the morning."

At the peak I believe I had between 15-20 and today I have 4 watches and I still find that I wear some more than others during different life cycles. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
815 Posts
and the queation is how hard are you going to kick yourself when none of the watches has the sparkle you had with Damasko?

I would understand the jump if you already have or had some of those so you would know it's the old longing driving you nuts.

Maybe ditch few that already lost the sparkle and keep the ones that didn't.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So if you've only got a chance to wear one at a time then who needs more than 5
Yeah I think this rings true for me for sure. I'd feel like I had less of a connection with the watch if I had to put it on a winder or it sat for months unused. 5 is definitely around my limit and I plan on consolidating if I'm tempted to purchase another.

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
At the high I think I had around mid 20's at the same time, now down to seven. No regrets, but the number is probably going to creep up again (just the nature of the beast for most of us and if not you, you're in a very small minority imo), not back to 20+ that much I know for sure but 10 I think is/will be very satisfactory for me . . .

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Nope, not even a single time have I regretted. I have heard others disagree (as I'm sure people will in this thread) but consider this:

You only have two wrists and if you're like most people you only wear a watch on one of them at a time. I know there was a legendary .... producer who would wear a gold Rolex on both, saw it on a documentary, but that's beside the point. I'll assume that you're 1) Not a similarly employed individual and 2) Not currently wearing gold necklaces outside your pool in Miami overlooking the bay. I'll also assume you're not one of the Powerball winners from last week and therefore watch funds are limited to some degree.

So if you've only got a chance to wear one at a time then who needs more than 5, or even 10? Granted different outfits call for different watches, but let's just say you're going to go somewhere in between the cliche one-watch-for-all-occasions and 10-watches-for-each-occasion I feel that a collection of 3-5 carefully selected watches with strong resale value will make you happier than a collection of 10+ random watches that you've acquired during various styles/phases of your collecting days and life.

Keep in mind, if you pair down your collection to 3-5 and then find that you're starting to wear 2 more than the other 3 you are allowed to sell one or all of the other 3 to pick up something else that is carefully selected. You're not forbidden to ever buy and sell again, you'll just have a less complicated life when it comes to wrist accessory. Consider this... POTUS wears only one of two options for suit color everyday. When asked why he simply responded, "One less thing to worry about in the morning."

At the peak I believe I had between 15-20 and today I have 4 watches and I still find that I wear some more than others during different life cycles. Just my $.02.
I definitely agree with this, there are many watches that I want but realistically 3-5 solid quality watches would be more than enough. When I'm going to purchase a watch, I would really consider it for a period of time before pulling the trigger just because I prefer not to flip it and lose money. Some watches are there to admire

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Do it! Do it! Absolutely best thing you can do!

No regrets here. I sold off the tons of cool stuff I played with, and went to fewer "oh my gosh I really own this" kind of watches. I wish I had done it earlier....but I had a lot of fun and learned tons. I think, from what I have heard and read from others, and from what I learned, its part of our evolution.

Now I still have beaters and users for rough environments like sat water and trucks and mud. But the few watches I do have are some of my absolute favorite examples and I cherish them.

I will note I even upgraded my beaters.

I think you will be very happy when you look back.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I do not regret it at all. I have 4 watches that could potentially trim down to 1 of 2 if I really wanted instead of having 10. It is a matter of what is practical for me. I wear business casual every day pretty much so this is what makes sense for me in terms of practicality:
1 dress watch for brown/tan combinations
1 dress watch for black/dark combinations
1 watch for everything else (casual, sports, etc)
My fourth watch is a Luminox that I wear for the gym every day so I don't damage any of the other ones and because I can also use it for jogging at night because of the lume.

If I really wanted to be minimalist, I could replace all of them with a tool watch like an Omega or Rolex or the new Pelagos that I love. I could also just use my sport watch and get rid of my Luminox and trim down to 3 or I could just have 1 dress watch and 1 sports watch and trim down to 2.

What I can tell you my friend and I learned this the hard way is that quality>quantity. You can only wear one at a time and you'll end up just buying/flipping if you have a lot. If you have less, you'll stop the buy/flip frenzy and you'll appreciate it more and your wallet will also thank you. At the end of the day, it is what you want to do, what you feel comfortable, what you love.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For most of last year the collection was just 6 watches, plus the G Shock which I hardly ever wear. The Stowa Antea KS needs a service so wasn't worn.

I could live with about 5 watches. I have consolidated before when I had 8 or 9 watches I sold 4 or 5 and ended up with my first GS and the Omega AT8500. But now I think I have enough to step up to a couple of Rolexes.

Reactions: friedricetheman

·
Registered
977 Posts
No regrets whatsoever.

I consolidated and sold klunkers like my two Balls (no pun intended), a zenith, and gave away my Breitling to my dad. Now, I am axing my vintage Omega to make way for another Rolex.

Will get rid of the Tissot Touch Expert to get in an AP RO 15400 or PP5711 by next year.

At one point during our hobby, we will need to take a good hard look at our collection and start consolidating to get our Grail watches.

Here's my current collection after a round of consolidating this year. Went from a 14 pieces watch box to an 8 pieces watch box. May get a 4 pieces watch box in the near future..

image.jpg

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
No regrets. I have a few colorful cheap watches but otherwise its just one for me now. Tudor BBB + Sinn 103 + Sinn U1-T + Darth Tuna = Submariner Date 16800 (no cyclops) ;)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Sound like you should hang on to the Demasko. I just purchased my first and we will be together for a long time.

5 watches is plenty. 10 watches is a little better. 15 watches is goldy lox!!!

challenge is the perfect 5 watches could be $150k. For me personally it's much easier for me to have 5 $2,000 watches rather than 1 $10,000. It could be a mental thing but I need a little Erika in my life. A little bit of Veronica by my side. Little bit of Jessica is all I need. Ya I just quote Lou Bega what up!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yes, and no to that question. There will always come a point where you haven't tried your grails, and then you contemplate selling others. You feel like less will be more. I traded a speedy pro, black bond, 2 aqua Terra's, some hamiltons, all to attain what I thought was my Grail...the Rolex Sub-C. Well, the sub and I didn't bond in the end and I spent the next year trying to get the others back. I actually traded the sub c back for a 3570 Speedy. I have also regretted flipping many affordables. I felt like they were excessive, so I sold them. 2 problems...1. I still really liked them, 2. They didn't fetch much money. The lesson I learned was to not sell a cheap watch I still enjoyed wearing from time to time. If it's worth less than $500, you're going to end up selling it for 30-50% less than that. Now subtract all your personal time spent listing it, packaging it, shipping it, etc....it's just not worth it, IF, you still like the watch.

Now, I haven't regretted consolidating/selling when I think long and hard about why I have a watch, do I truly enjoy it, and will it get enough wear to justify its value? If I rarely wear an expensive watch, AND the money can go towards something I want more, I will sell or trade it. Dress watches often get the ax. I LOVE dress style watches, but I don't work in an office and rarely have an occasion to wear them. I've had to be realistic on several occasions and send a few watches packing(ie. Nomos Orion), that I really loved, but it was a hard thought decision and I didn't regret it.

So, now I'm actually back up to about 25 watches. Only 7 of those are nice mechanicals. The rest are mid tier and affordables that I wear daily and don't worry about. I do love variety though. For me, I'd say 10-20 is a good number. I don't mind having a lot of affordables/Quartz in the collection. They don't take up much space, and are inexpensive to maintain. Now, if I had 20+ expensive mechanicals...you'd bet your a** I'd be consolidating:-d

·
Registered
315 Posts
No regrets. I too, sold off several pieces to get a Rolex. I also bought a smaller box (6) to limit
myself. I now move a lot slower in purchasing. I still trade up and sell as a strategy.
I hope to get a HE piece next.

The Damasko I would keep out of the ones you list. It is sharp and you still like it. I think selling the rest of the
collection would be a smart move for a Rolex. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts