WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(New to this watch thing so I don't really know anything.)

I'm asking this question because I got a 1960s-1970's (never found out for certain) Tudor prince oysterdate and it doesn't say anything about water resistance levels etc. etc. and I just can't seem to find anything about it on the internet.
(Wondering mainly because i'm wondering if I can dive (well snorkel) with it.)

Thanks for your help.

P1040345 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Your watch, after a service that includes a new crystal and gaskets and pressure test and perhaps a new crown and tube, should be OK down to 50 meters. The person working on your watch should be made aware of your intent to snorkel so that attention can be paid to that aspect.

And, I'd probably swap out the leather strap for something more appropriate for under water use.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Kawaika gives fine counsel. When you find the watchmaker to do they work, if they're good they should be able to answer any and all questions about the watch, too.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Honestly I wont take it near water, serviced or not, plexi and water is a big no no, if u want to dive buy a Casio or a Swatch, but thats just my opinion, I dont even take my Tudor Sub with sapphire crystal near water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Honestly I wont take it near water, serviced or not, plexi and water is a big no no, if u want to dive buy a Casio or a Swatch, but thats just my opinion, I dont even take my Tudor Sub with sapphire crystal near water.
As a wise person once said...'you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts', and the fact is, the labeling of a Tudor OYSTER with the 'Case by Rolex Geneva' stamping on the case back means that when properly serviced, with a factory crystal, correct gaskets and a functional crown and tube, the case from this era is waterproof to 50 meters. For decades, Rolex fitted its own and Tudor models with plastic crystals and when functional, you just don't have water intrusion. So if down in the Southern Hemisphere you feel that a Tudor Oyster is prone to water leakage, then by all means, keep your own watch on dry land...but please don't try and scare others from using an Oyster watch the way Rolex/Tudor intended.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
As a wise person once said...'you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts', and the fact is, the labeling of a Tudor OYSTER with the 'Case by Rolex Geneva' stamping on the case back means that when properly serviced, with a factory crystal, correct gaskets and a functional crown and tube, the case from this era is waterproof to 50 meters. For decades, Rolex fitted its own and Tudor models with plastic crystals and when functional, you just don't have water intrusion. So if down in the Southern Hemisphere you feel that a Tudor Oyster is prone to water leakage, then by all means, keep your own watch on dry land...but please don't try and scare others from using an Oyster watch the way Rolex/Tudor intended.
+1. I have Tudors which range from new, back to 1952. My older ones (properly serviced and water tested) take swimming, snorkelling, and surfing just fine. Scaremongering isn't really helpful.

~Sherry.

·
Registered
963 Posts
With proper service by RSC with correct parts and procedure, that watch will be rated to 50 meters which is a lot deeper than we can go snorkelling. You and the watch should be ok.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Southern Hemisphere isnt for sissy chief.

But apparently vintage Tudors grow on trees in the Northern Hemisphere but down here we value them alot more than just a watch to swim with thats why the gshock was invented lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts