WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this watch on a yahoo auction, I know the dw-5200-1 and dw-5200-9 but I have never seen this one. So anyone know the story behind this watch??? When it was released??? I am Very curious.
dw5200 honda.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts
Pretty much impossible to get numbers like that for any Gshock. You wouldn't think they made huge numbers of them, and considering it's from 30+ years ago most of them are long gone.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
A rare beast I'd say, looks nice. Check with watches.br to see what colour bezels and straps they can do.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Casio has issued a few collaborations with Honda. The first was the DW-5000 Honda. Just a few of these were produced probably just for the team itself and never issued for sale.

If one of these came up for sale it would fetch a fortune.

I have never seen or heard of a DW-5200 Honda before and if it is genuine and not a clever fake, they were probably issued on a similar basis to the 5000.

I am sure you know that DW-5200 sold for over $3000 on Yahoo.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts
It's looks authentic to me, at least the case and the lettering and such on the dial. The only thing I'm not sure of would be whether or not the module was replaced, and I didn't get a good look at that picture so I don't know what the caseback says on it. Hardly anything comes up when I google it so it's hard to compare with other pics, I did find an page that said they were made in 1984 but maybe that's wrong too. I'm sure there are collectors out there that might pay a premium for it, but most people have never seen it so it's not high on the popularity index so to speak. It could very well be the only one left, or a few. I'd hold onto it, fix it up enjoy it, and be on the lookout for any info you can find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Fergfour, I will post more pictures once I get it in my hand.You really made me believe it's worth the money and I will keep it forever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, Mitch, the auction is really hard for me ...
Casio has issued a few collaborations with Honda. The first was the DW-5000 Honda. Just a few of these were produced probably just for the team itself and never issued for sale.

If one of these came up for sale it would fetch a fortune.

I have never seen or heard of a DW-5200 Honda before and if it is genuine and not a clever fake, they were probably issued on a similar basis to the 5000.

I am sure you know that DW-5200 sold for over $3000 on Yahoo.

Mitch

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Hello, Mitch, the auction is really hard for me ...

So you actually are the one who bought it.

You really must post some pictures of it when you receive it. This is a previously unknown G Shock as far as I am aware, never heard, read or seen any pictures of it.

Have you managed to find any information on it?

Mitch

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you actually are the one who bought it.

You really must post some pictures of it when you receive it. This is a previously unknown G Shock as far as I am aware, never heard, read or seen any pictures of it.

Have you managed to find any information on it?

Mitch
I have asked the seller but got nothing useful from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
To my untrained eye it certainly looks to be the real deal, just no info anywhere I can find.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
To my untrained eye it certainly looks to be the real deal, just no info anywhere I can find.

Well it may certainly well be a real DW-5200, it is the crystal and Honda graphics I would be worried about. We know about the DW-5000 Honda and only a handful of those were ever made, the last one surfaced a decade ago and sold for over $4000.

Why has there never been any mention of a DW-5200 Honda before now?

Mitch

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts
If all we're going on is the caseback then maybe it's not a 5200. Either way unless you can get verification from Casio or somewhere else it's a mystery.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
If all we're going on is the caseback then maybe it's not a 5200. Either way unless you can get verification from Casio or somewhere else it's a mystery.

It is quite possible to fake the crystal and graphics. About three years ago someone put loads of fake DW-5200 crystals up for sale online with slightly different graphics.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
It is quite possible to fake the crystal and graphics. About three years ago someone put loads of fake DW-5200 crystals up for sale online with slightly different graphics.

Mitch
I never thought about the crystal being fake! I guess the OP's photos of the screwback will help a lot.

If it is fake it definitely looks a good job though.

I did a search and the only other G that I found was an unboxing YouTube video of a DW-002 with a Honda symbol in the backlight and wording on the strap.

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts
Personally, I'd bet against fake graphics on the crystal. I wouldn't bet 3000 :) I just can't see someone putting that much effort in faking something so obscure, it doesn't seem logical. I can see someone faking a well known vintage 5200, something other people own and where there are other examples. Not "Hey look at this a dw5600xxxx, there are no other known specimens and there are no pics on the internet, buy it for 3000". We can speculate all we want, until someone gets real data it remains an unknown.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts