WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an old G Shock G2110-1V that I was trying to repair a button on as it broke off, or rather I broke it off...

Found a great place online that sold the part for it, I was able to remove the old button no problem, but of course when I went to install the new button the eclip launched to infinity and beyond never to be seen again.

I ordered two from the online place where I purchased the button but they have no ETA on the eclips, I found a seller on ebay that sells Casio eclips but I have no idea if they are all the same size as I really don't want to lose the button

Anyone have to deal with this in the past?

Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
There are quite a few threads on that very subject which contain numerous lamentations of flying clips; I have a few sad tales of that myself. In my experience of taking apart and reassembling buttons on various Casios, the clips have all been the same size. I can't speak specifically to your watch, but I would bet that they're the same size clips as other Casios. The clips on their own are pricey, especially on eBay. You might consider buying a cheap used/broken Casio digital and harvesting a clip or two from that.

There's quite a lot of tips and tricks for removing and reinstalling those clips, such as working inside a plastic bag so that if the clip does fly, it won't be lost. It's also been recommended to use tweezers with a grippy surface as well as to put a dab of grease on the clip so that it stays in place and doesn't fly. I recommend the use of an electronics magnifier lamp if you can find one. Many people have had success using those tricks, but my personal experience with tweezers hasn't been the greatest. I ended up buying a special tool specifically made for watch button e-clips, and it saved my sanity. If you don't have any luck with tweezers, you might consider hunting one down.

Here's a link describing the tool: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/tools-trade-720685-4.html#post5730193

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I had an old G Shock G2110-1V that I was trying to repair a button on as it broke off, or rather I broke it off...

Found a great place online that sold the part for it, I was able to remove the old button no problem, but of course when I went to install the new button the eclip launched to infinity and beyond never to be seen again.

I ordered two from the online place where I purchased the button but they have no ETA on the eclips, I found a seller on ebay that sells Casio eclips but I have no idea if they are all the same size as I really don't want to lose the button
Hopefully someone who replaces e-clips often can verify this, but....

"No ETA" makes me guess that the "great place online" was Pacparts.com -- I ordered a few of those e-clips last year and it took a month or so for them to arrive.

If you go to the model parts list on their website and click on the e-clip part number, that brings up all of the associated models that also use the same part: PacParts: 91061576433

"And many more models.... Total records 7443." THAT strongly suggests that Casio uses the same e-clip for most (if not all) of their buttons!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There are quite a few threads on that very subject which contain numerous lamentations of flying clips; I have a few sad tales of that myself. In my experience of taking apart and reassembling buttons on various Casios, the clips have all been the same size. I can't speak specifically to your watch, but I would bet that they're the same size clips as other Casios. The clips on their own are pricey, especially on eBay. You might consider buying a cheap used/broken Casio digital and harvesting a clip or two from that.

There's quite a lot of tips and tricks for removing and reinstalling those clips, such as working inside a plastic bag so that if the clip does fly, it won't be lost. It's also been recommended to use tweezers with a grippy surface as well as to put a dab of grease on the clip so that it stays in place and doesn't fly. I recommend the use of an electronics magnifier lamp if you can find one. Many people have had success using those tricks, but my personal experience with tweezers hasn't been the greatest. I ended up buying a special tool specifically made for watch button e-clips, and it saved my sanity. If you don't have any luck with tweezers, you might consider hunting one down.

Here's a link describing the tool: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/tools-trade-720685-4.html#post5730193
Hey thanks, I hadn't even thought of working in a plastic bag, that is a great idea though I wonder how easy it is to see what you're doing

I have tweezers and I also have a pair of needle nose which I use for RC hobbies, in this case I was a dummy and tried to press down on it with a small flat head screwdriver in my basement and like that it was gone.

I also have a magnifier which I use for Pinecar with my daughter and soldering.

I will check out the tool but this is really a one time thing, if the ones on ebay work then I am ok with spending for them just to get it done.
Hopefully someone who replaces e-clips often can verify this, but....

"No ETA" makes me guess that the "great place online" was Pacparts.com -- I ordered a few of those e-clips last year and it took a month or so for them to arrive.

If you go to the model parts list on their website and click on the e-clip part number, that brings up all of the associated models that also use the same part: PacParts: 91061576433

"And many more models.... Total records 7443." THAT strongly suggests that Casio uses the same e-clip for most (if not all) of their buttons!
Hey, so yes that was the place.

Here is what I ordered:

PacParts: Casio 94809766

I actually ordered two of them in anticipation of losing another

There is an ebay seller who also seems to sell them though I am not certain if they are the correct size and are considerably more money

Casio G Shock Pathfinder Push Button E Ring Clip Qty 2 Fits All Casio Models | eBay

I am ok with waiting a month, my concern is that casio is just not shipping them. I think total for the two eclips and shipping was like $8

I also may just order those ones from ebay to get it over with but at that cost for an eclip I am hoping it is the correct size.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Here is what I ordered:

PacParts: Casio 94809766

I actually ordered two of them in anticipation of losing another

There is an ebay seller who also seems to sell them though I am not certain if they are the correct size and are considerably more money

Casio G Shock Pathfinder Push Button E Ring Clip Qty 2 Fits All Casio Models | eBay

I am ok with waiting a month, my concern is that casio is just not shipping them. I think total for the two eclips and shipping was like $8

I also may just order those ones from ebay to get it over with but at that cost for an eclip I am hoping it is the correct size.
From another current thread over at http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gw5000-has-no-other-variations-hmmm-2859538-3.html#post25551602

Hey K&L, while you're here, can you help me out with a question? Have you found that the "C" clips that hold on the buttons are all the same size for G-shocks with the same button size? Or do they vary by model? I have a used MRG-1 I picked up that turns out to have a loose button. Thankfully it has stayed pretty much in place on its own, but when I removed the bezel it ended up getting pulled out. The "C" clip was nowhere to be found in the case. I'm hoping this is a standard part and I can cannibalize one from a donor parts watch.
In my experience they are all the same size, and it looks like pacaprts uses the same part number for the C clips on all G-Shocks. However, I have often wondered if there are slight differences from model to model, as it seems like sometimes I have a harder time getting the clips on than others (but that's probably just because the clips are a PITA in the first place). Also, I recently cannibalized an 8900 and the clips had a copper tone to them rather than the stainless color I am used to from pacparts, but I just double checked and they are the same size as well. I'm fairly certain you are good to go with using one from a donor watch.
Based on that, it SOUNDS like they're all the same size!

Parts suppliers on eBay often seem to overcharge for parts -- probably because most of the world knows about eBay but few know about Casio's other suppliers, and even Google isn't much help on things like "g-shock parts." :-(

Based on my experiences with Pacparts, the only time to worry is when they show a part as "discontinued." I've ordered a few "no ETA" parts over the years and always got them, but it FEELS like it's their way of covering and/or distancing themselves from the usual "1 to 2 week" quasi-guarantee.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have had some experiences losing/finding/losing again.. and ordering e-rings (as pacparts calls them). Waiting for some 5600s e-rings on order from pacparts for over a month, will be interesting to see how long it takes casio to supply them. In the meanwhile I just used some from a donor. If anyone can confirm that they are all interchangeable, I might have a spare I could send to you (I'm in MA as well).

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
If anyone can confirm that they are all interchangeable....
See the second and third quote in my post directly above -- Knives and Lint thinks they're all the same size, and based on his amazing custom G's he should know! :-!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all

Thats cool, I may just cancel my pacparts order (only $8 bucks so no big loss) and just source them from elsewhere then as no sense in waiting over a month. I am in no rush, and was surprised they actually had the button for the replacement given how old the watch is.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they finally got them in and shipped them out, bought an extra just to be safe but thankfully only needed one, man this thing is tiny

eclip Casio.jpg

Reactions: GaryK30

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
It is a much better value to buy a used watch and use the clips from it than to buy the clips separately. At least 99% of Casios use the same clips. I find it is easy to install them with a high quality (very strong grip and precise nose) pair of tweezers. With enough practice you can remove and install on the first try most of the time.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a much better value to buy a used watch and use the clips from it than to buy the clips separately. At least 99% of Casios use the same clips. I find it is easy to install them with a high quality (very strong grip and precise nose) pair of tweezers. With enough practice you can remove and install on the first try most of the time.
I think I paid like $10 shipped for the two of them so for me that was an acceptable expense, if I did this more often then I'd agree.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
This thread saved me some anguish. I took the clips off a broken A168 and they're identical to the ones on a DW5600 I just tuned up. If anything, I think they fit better than the originals!

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's probably just a generic clip that you can order in bulk outside of Casio, so long as you had the proper size. If I had to replace one I would probably just mic out the button and get a pile of them for the cost of one from Pac Parts or Casio.

Edit: A good way to remove these clips would be to put the whole watch in a small sandwich bag and then remove the clips with a small screw driver inside the bag. This way when the clips decide to leave the buttons at a speed approaching that of sound it will be stopped by the baggie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts