WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems leather natos are rarely talked about. Just wondering how many people actually like leather natos and who would consider them for a daily strap? I find them really cool, very comfortable, great looking with the right watch. I find them a bit more comfortable than the nylon variety as well.

Anyone ever try a higher-end shell cordovan nato?

·
Registered
Oris Aquis Date Titanium
5,399 Posts
Just had a quick look at shell cordovan nato's. They seem pretty cool. I don't know much about natao's. Do most of them go under the watch?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I bought one on ebay for $13. I don't really like the color of it, it was darker in the pictures, but it's very comfortable.

The reason I like nato straps is that even if the spring bar gives up on your watch, you won't lose it.

Sent from my DROID3

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Never had a leather one. They look nice. Someday I'll get one.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I like the look of them on the right type of watch especially ifmade of a nice leather like shell cordovan.
On the other hand they seem almost "Rube Goldberg" like with all the buckles and extra material.
And the thickness of leather emphasizes this over nylon.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I have a couple, but I'm not a fan. They don't wear too well, and end up looking bulky.

Nylon, for all its faults, is slimming and extra lengths can be tucked away. Not so with leather, where the whole contraption ends up looking and feeling uncomfortable at best.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a couple, but I'm not a fan. They don't wear too well, and end up looking bulky.

Nylon, for all its faults, is slimming and extra lengths can be tucked away. Not so with leather, where the whole contraption ends up looking and feeling uncomfortable at best.
That's what I've always figured about these straps. They look great in photos sans wrist, and that's usually how they're advertised in the pictures. But I saw someone post a wrist shot with one on, and it stuck out what looked like two inches extra off the side of his wrist. Not a very good look. Unnatural, really. I wonder if these have been around as long as regular natos.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
For those worried about leather natos being too thick, give the ones from Crown & Buckle a try. It's on unfinished leather (seude backing) and extremely thin - almost as thin as their nylon ones. Thickness was my primary concern with them, but I wear my Sandoz sub on a coffee brown nato all the time now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like them. Have tried those super thin and thick ones, till I came across these two that I'm very much comfortable with. Got these off eBay, and I believe these are buffalo leather material -- works fine for me as they're soft, neither too thin nor thick. Cheers

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I have a handful, a few made by Shane Delaurian, one by Corvus and one by DonErix: they make a nice change from the nylon natos, but it takes the right watch to pull it off.
Forgot I had these snapshots of the donerix.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
That's what I've always figured about these straps. They look great in photos sans wrist, and that's usually how they're advertised in the pictures. But I saw someone post a wrist shot with one on, and it stuck out what looked like two inches extra off the side of his wrist. Not a very good look. Unnatural, really. I wonder if these have been around as long as regular natos.
Even on wrists, they do not look discreet unless they're worn with loud and peacocky (or rugged and manly, if the term hurts your ego) watches. The examples posted here do nothing for me; however, I'm sure they work for those folks.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
sweet photos, I specially like the ones posted by Jsorber. I also like this other one that I found on the web, but they just are very pricy, I guess given the supposedly used ammo pouch leather from WWII. Anybody seen/know of some other vintagy leather nato straps? also, what are your opinions, would they look good on a carrera cv2014, is it toolish enough? thanks for your comments

Attachments

Reactions: Chewbycca

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
that looks like one of James C's straps in his historic rolex line. I got one recently, but haven't put it on a watch yet. the strap just oozes history, and the details are really nice. his straps and buckles are quite nice, got a few.
A comment on my corvus nato: it is a bit thick, so the first time I mounted it to a watch, the strap got scrapped up a bit as I tried to pull it thru the lugs: so it gained some unintentional aging.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts