WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a dress watch and this one is the top candidate in appearance as it fits the bill in almost all of my particulars. I'd prefer the dial to be black but dark gray is close enough. I'd also prefer that Omega had not put "Co-Axial Master Chronometer" on the dial, but the co-axial escapement is pretty special so I forgive Omega for bragging about it even on a dress watch dial.

I'm close to pulling the trigger and want to know if anyone here can give me real world feedback on this watch, e.g., are there issues with the crown, does the OEM leather strap feel worthy of the watch, that sort of thing. I realize this watch is probably not a big seller, especially compared to the Seamaster and Moonwatch, so there may not be any DV Trésor owners here but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Just as an aside, the runners-up are the Vacheron Constantin Patrimony and Audemars Piguet Jules Audemars, both of which have black dials with no mention of their respective movements but the VC doesn't have a display back and the AP is an automatic.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font
Watch Analog watch Natural material Rectangle Watch accessory

·
Premium Member
Omega Seamaster Professional 300M
1,306 Posts
I don't have any direct experience with this model, but the way I see it, the choice between the Tresor and a Trinity-level watch boils down to whether you need a Master Chronometer certified dress watch or not.

If high accuracy and anti-magnetism is your thing, the Tresor will be by far a better performer than either the Patrimony or the Jules Audemars. However the latter two are both far better finished and more prestigious, particularly the Patrimony with its Geneva hallmark. Something to consider.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any direct experience with this model, but the way I see it, the choice between the Tresor and a Trinity-level watch boils down to whether you need a Master Chronometer certified dress watch or not.

If high accuracy and anti-magnetism is your thing, the Tresor will be by far a better performer than either the Patrimony or the Jules Audemars. However the latter two are both far better finished and more prestigious, particularly the Patrimony with its Geneva hallmark. Something to consider.
Thanks for your feedback.

I did consider both of the others and in fact the VC Patrimony was my leading choice for the reasons you stated until I came across the Tresor. The Patrimony's caliber is a work of art, but unfortunately VC elected to bury it under a solid case back. Another forum member showed me a photo of the movement in the case and it appears to be undersized in relation to the case, so perhaps that's why VC decided to cover it. The AP's movement, actually made by Jaeger LeCoultre, is also incredibly beautiful but is an automatic and I strongly prefer a manual wind. But if there was ever an automatic that would tempt me, this one is it.

So while high accuracy and anti-magnetism aren't particularly high on my list of requirements, they're nice to have. The Tresor's finish isn't on par with the other two but is still a beautiful movement in its own right. Other than the extra verbiage on the dial the Tresor ticks all the other boxes for me. Finding another one in the wild, though, probably isn't going to happen.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
If you'll allow me to play devil's advocate for a bit...

Looking at your requirements, it seems you're after a high-end, gold dress watch, with a black/dark dial, hand-wound, with a visible, well-finished movement, for around $25K AUD (the cost of the Omega).

For the money, I would go one of these instead:

A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia ref 216.033:

Watch Brown Analog watch Watch accessory Clock
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Looking at your requirements, it seems you're after a high-end, gold dress watch, with a black/dark dial, hand-wound, with a visible, well-finished movement, for around $25K AUD (the cost of the Omega).

You are more than welcome to play Devil's Advocate, and you hit on almost everything on my wish list. Unfortunately, the AL&S is only 37mm. If it were 40-42mm, this is the one I would go for. Nice job and thanks for the suggestion. I need a big watch for a couple of reasons: first, I have large wrists, and, second, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. The AP I mentioned above is actually 41mm but...must...resist...the...temptation...because...it's...an...automatic.

I own this model different color for 5 years.
No problems yet. Be aware that the strap can be long or short, if your wrist is 7”+ order it with a long one.
Excellent! I'm blessed (cursed?) with 7.25" wrists. I'll definitely be getting the long strap.

I can't comment on this exact model but was impressed with the one I did a quick video on. If I was in the market for a dress watch this would be at the top.
I saw that video! Very well done, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Going to throw one more suggestion out there, the Chopard L.U.C. Quattro 43mm ref 161926-5003:

Watch Brown Analog watch Rectangle Natural material
Watch Brown Analog watch Rectangle Clock

Granted, this isn't as clean and classic as some of the watches you've been looking at, but you get a ton of watchmaking for your money here. 9-day power reserve, COSC certified, Geneva Hallmarked, power reserve indicator and date, all with a case thickness of 8.84mm and 50M water resistance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a very interesting watch, and one I hadn't seen before. Thanks for that.

But it's not for me, at least this time. There's just too much happening on that dial. I do especially like that it's 43mm, though.

Sorry to keep shooting you down as I really do appreciate the suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming!

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Sorry to keep shooting you down as I really do appreciate the suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming!
All good! I've just been having fun e-shopping for a $25k dress watch, its not normally a budget/style combo I've looked for in the past. Essentially I'm living vicariously through you ;)

The only other option I can think of for a large, black-dial dress watch at this kind of price would be the Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Onyx (although it is an automatic):
Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Silver

43mm by 12mm steel case, applied 18k white gold rings for the hours and seconds tracks, 68hr power reserve at 4Hz, silicon balance spring and pallet horns, tungsten oscillating mass.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Go for the Tresor :cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All good! I've just been having fun e-shopping for a $25k dress watch, its not normally a budget/style combo I've looked for in the past. Essentially I'm living vicariously through you ;)

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Go for the Tresor :cool:
Lol, will do. The JD is one that I did come across during my search. Another automatic, sigh, albeit a very beautiful one just like the Audemars Piguet.

When I started this search for a grail dress watch, I assumed I would be buying one from the Holy Trinity. Patek didn't even come close to my criteria, but the AP Jules Audemars and the Vacheron Constantin Patrimony are both very close to everything I wanted. I would pick up the AP in a heartbeat if only it were a manual wind. Same is true for the VC if only it had a display back, the undersized caliber notwithstanding.

The Tresor ticks all the important boxes: size, dial color, rose gold case, display back and manual wind. I could live without the seconds hand and the dial's movement description but those are relatively small boxes.

If you come up with anything else, let me know. And again, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My god that ALS is so gorgeous

View attachment 16118478 View attachment 16118480

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
If you come up with anything else, let me know. And again, thanks for your input.
I'm not giving up! :LOL:

How about a Lang & Heyne Johann:

Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Amber Natural material

43.5mm by 10.5mm, with all the luxe German finishes: frosted 3-quarter plate with chamfered edges, gold chatons with heat-blued screws, snailed wheels, hand-engraved balance cock, set with a diamond bearing.

Drawback: its more expensive than the likes of the Omega/Vacheron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts