WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello G-Shock friends!

I'm considering purchasing a pricey watch from this web site, Sakura watches. I've looked at the site, and I see no obvious reason for concern. However, its low prices for some watches make me a bit reluctant. What do you guys think? They allow for Paypal purchases, so I think buying from them should be safe. If you have experiences buying from Sakura watches, please share them!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I’ve never heard of them...$688.00 for a GPR-B1000 sounds like a pretty good deal though.

Which watch are you considering?

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never heard of them...$688.00 for a GPR-B1000 sounds like a pretty good deal though.

Which watch are you considering?
Yeah, they have too-good-to-be-true deals, which makes me a bit cautious.

I'm considering a non-G-Shock, the Citizen aq-4041.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Yeah, they have too-good-to-be-true deals, which makes me a bit cautious.

I'm considering a non-G-Shock, the Citizen aq-4041.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed...it looks like they're about $400.00 lower than the going rate.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I purchased a Citizen CC3060-10E from them and it arrived in a CWB0901-03 box. Also of concern is that the watch did not arrive with the customary clear decals on the crystal and case back. Shouldn't a new watch have these? Shouldn't a watch always be stored with its original box? Why would a watch be shipped in the wrong box without these clear decals? Is this a common thing with online retailers? I've contacted them, but I'm still waiting to hear back. I'll keep you informed if you would like.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I purchased a Citizen CC3060-10E from them and it arrived in a CWB0901-03 box. Also of concern is that the watch did not arrive with the customary clear decals on the crystal and case back. Shouldn't a new watch have these? Shouldn't a watch always be stored with its original box? Why would a watch be shipped in the wrong box without these clear decals? Is this a common thing with online retailers? I've contacted them, but I'm still waiting to hear back. I'll keep you informed if you would like.
Hmm that is strange. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about the decals - I've bought watches from AD stores which don't have those, and the box might be an honest mistake, although it begs the question why the watch was taken out in the first place. If they don't fix it for you let us know!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
i bought from several ADs and every time theyve just gone to the box cupboard and grabbed the first box that said "g shock". ive gotta a gd120cm camo box for a 5600 and even a baby G box for a gdx once and if i didnt point it out they wouldnt have given it a second thought. but at the end of the day, you dont wear the box and if youre planning on reselling for 99% of ppl they wouldnt care much if it didnt come with a box if it was the right price.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I finally heard back from Sakurawatches.com. They say, "we are a Japanese official dealer". I don't know if this is playing semantics or what, but they are not on the list of Citizen Authorized dealers. (https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/authorized-retailers.html) They claim they are not grey market dealers, as they will not price match with a grey market dealer. Is this semantics or what? Citizen says, "All authorized retailers are not allowed to deliver the watches overseas."

They state "When buying from us, you can be sure that your product is brand new, unused and not from old-stock that is always happens with gray market sellers. As for the watch box and watch condition - boxes are changable from country to country, we ship Citizen watches in unchanged packaging and condition. They are the same that are coming from CItizen Japan."

They did offer a small price adjustment, but curiously did not address the wrong box and no protective decals question. I guess buying online is always a gamble. Heck, buying in a brick and mortar store is a gamble.
Lots of luck to you all!

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
I finally heard back from Sakurawatches.com. They say, "we are a Japanese official dealer". I don't know if this is playing semantics or what, but they are not on the list of Citizen Authorized dealers. (https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/authorized-retailers.html) They claim they are not grey market dealers, as they will not price match with a grey market dealer. Is this semantics or what? Citizen says, "All authorized retailers are not allowed to deliver the watches overseas."

They state "When buying from us, you can be sure that your product is brand new, unused and not from old-stock that is always happens with gray market sellers. As for the watch box and watch condition - boxes are changable from country to country, we ship Citizen watches in unchanged packaging and condition. They are the same that are coming from CItizen Japan."

They did offer a small price adjustment, but curiously did not address the wrong box and no protective decals question. I guess buying online is always a gamble. Heck, buying in a brick and mortar store is a gamble.
Lots of luck to you all!
so you got a discount for slightly different cardboard and less rubbish? that sounds like a win in my books |>

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sakura said this below about the box number being different. They also asked me to "please update your post if you wrote any?"

"Citizen watch boxes are marked separately from the watches. They don't have the same model sticker. CWB stands for "Citizen Watch Box". So CWB0901-03 is not a Citizen watch model, it is a box.
And inside the CWB0901-03 can be any Citizen watch model."

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
. . .
I have no insight on your box/decal issue, but on this part, they're only playing partial semantics because they may very well be an official dealer in Japan, but not elsewhere. To someone outside of Japan they are, in effect, a gray market dealer, but they're not necessarily a gray market dealer inside Japan, depending on the terms of whatever agreement they have w/Citizen, etc. Even if Sakura is breaking a "selling only in Japan" deal w/Citizen & the other manufacturers (as that "All authorized retailers . . ." boilerplate sentence seems to say), those companies clearly aren't taking a hard line in enforcing that deal. Indeed, Sakura's whole business model (at least their online sales, don't know about their brick & mortar presence in Japan), like Seiya & Higuchi, seems to be based on selling Japan Domestic Market mercandise to foreigners. I'm guessing the manufacturers don't really care as long as it doesn't cut into sales of export models; a sale is a sale.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I guess they are kosher?
I only had one sales experience with them for an expensive Citizen and the service was solid and the price was great. I'd recommend Sakura watches.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I only had one sales experience with them for an expensive Citizen and the service was solid and the price was great. I'd recommend Sakura watches.
That sounds good :) I´m thinking of replacing my GS sbgv223 with The AB9000-61E. I have a buyer interested in the GS and think The Citizen will fill the shoe nicely with black dial, steel, HAQ and a nice size. What did you end up with?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Sakura said this below about the box number being different. They also asked me to "please update your post if you wrote any?"

"Citizen watch boxes are marked separately from the watches. They don't have the same model sticker. CWB stands for "Citizen Watch Box". So CWB0901-03 is not a Citizen watch model, it is a box.
And inside the CWB0901-03 can be any Citizen watch model."
Odd that CWB0901-03 is also a valid Citizen watch reference. I don't buy that explanation

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 104 Posts