WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
What sort of customs / VAT charges did you incur, ordering from Japan? I'd be looking at 21% VAT + 12% customs, which means I'd be paying a high premium for a J model - doesn't mean I wouldn't necessarily, but it'd be a nasty surprise to get that VAT bill on delivery.
yes, 21% VAT + fees for customs procedure, in Slovakia 22 € ... :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought from Seiya, Chino, and Sakura. Here are my preferences:
For higher end watches, stamped warranty from authorized dealers, most courteous dealing, fastest responses/delivery, and peace of mind, I always go with Seiya. For lowest prices on lower value watches when stamped warranty is not needed, I usually go with Sakura. But from my personal experience, response speed and shipping time varies widely per transaction at Sakura (from somewhat slower to many days behind in comparison with Seiya). I may guess incorrectly, but from my paypal receipts, each payment goes to a different watch dealer for almost all watches I ordered from Sakura. Chino is quite acceptable too with stamped warranty cards and reasonable prices + shipping time.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Another happy customer with Sakura. I bought GW-5000U. It was at my doorstep within few days.

The only thing to watch is PayPal currency conversion. It's always better to purchase in yen and let the bank to convert the currencies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A question for the Aus-based buyers - did you get stung for GST, etc or did your deliveries slip through the net?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
DHL/Government processing fees
Thanks. It's the DHL bit of the above that irks me. They charge you for the privilege of paying the fees on your behalf but don't give you the option to pay them yourself. I really dislike DHL.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ordered a GWG2000-1A1JF from Sakura Fri 10/22 and am waiting patiently.......

View attachment 16198578
Do not look at that status too much. Sometimes they do not update it.
I have ordered 2 watches from them and both arrived safely, even though status did not change.

If you are worried, you can always ask, they were fast to reply to me (one month ago). But I think there are delays everywhere due to worldwide pandemic situation.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Thanks. It's the DHL bit of the above that irks me. They charge you for the privilege of paying the fees on your behalf but don't give you the option to pay them yourself. I really dislike DHL.
Weird🤔 I have always had the option to pay taxes/fees myself or outsource them to DHL. Always paid myself, which has worked fine and fast. This with DHL Express and orders from Japan (Sakura & SIJ).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Weird🤔 I have always had the option to pay taxes/fees myself or outsource them to DHL. Always paid myself, which has worked fine and fast. This with DHL Express and orders from Japan (Sakura & SIJ).
In Australia expedited shipping has customs priority - but at a cost. Expedited shipping companies pass the additional cost on to the consumer. It's not unique to DHL. Avoiding this is possible by using regular post.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's a good data point. My experience with DHL goes back a few years, when I bought a watch from the UK, and certainly predates the current climate affecting international shipping.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
In Australia expedited shipping has customs priority - but at a cost. Expedited shipping companies pass the additional cost on to the consumer. It's not unique to DHL. Avoiding this is possible by using regular post.
The point is that the DHL's customer is the sender, not the receiver. As receiver, DHL have no contract with you and their charges are not enforceable unless they offer you an expedited service which you accept. When they just go ahead and pay the government charges and then slap on their fee without consulting the receiver first, they can go hang. I took the fight to them last time and won, but it took some effort. They seemingly have the upper hand though, as they have your goods.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Do not look at that status too much. Sometimes they do not update it.
I have ordered 2 watches from them and both arrived safely, even though status did not change.

If you are worried, you can always ask, they were fast to reply to me (one month ago). But I think there are delays everywhere due to worldwide pandemic situation.
Thank you for that. After reading your post I sent a message yesterday 8pm asking for tracking number and although I did not get reply from Sakurawatches directly yet I got notice from DHL that the watch was picked up and going through customs.....cool (y) (y)

Rectangle Font Magenta Brand Paper product

81 - 100 of 104 Posts