WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, anyone any idea what the watch brand on the right could be. I have searched all known sites but have come up with nothing. It looks as though it could be a military type being in what looks like a pewter case. It has a Swiss movement with the off set second's hand and the dial is brass, and it's bigger than my SM!! The name looks like MAUTHL ? No other names or marks on the movement or case, Any ideas, thanks in advance:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
Can't say I know anything about it. For whatever reason, when I looked at it, I read MAUTHE. I googled "Mauthe Watch" and there are many entries. So give MAUTHE a try instead of MAUTHL!

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Its an interesting watch. If you get it fixed up, please post it again for us.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,639 Posts
That looks to me like a Tiega pocket watch movement (pocket watch conversion was my first thought on seeing the face). Note the completely fake moulding on the train bridge to simulate a bearing for the centre wheel?

I'm going to go with it being a 39mm MST 247 calibre in a pocket watch conversion. It could be an MST 250 as I note that the 247 is marked as being negative set - they are the same size.

I don't have a 247, but here is a photo of one of my MST 265's to show the family resemblance though it is smaller.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,045 Posts
Good movement ID! My first reaction was that it is probably a pin lever movement since the centre wheel is indirectly driven off the mainspring barrel. Now I learn that the centre wheel only exists dial side.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great deduction Mirius, many thanks.
Now that you have mentioned it, it certainly does look like that's what has happened, a pocket watch movement replacement. I assume the crude brass dial was knocked up at the same time, would it have originally been silvered as longcase brass dials were? and I wonder what the case originally had in it or could it have just been made at the same time on a lathe by a rather good watch maker, it's a perfect fit. I picked it up in krakow Poland a few weeks back for pennies, so a cheap and interesting addition to the collection
Thanks to all the comments and help guys :-!

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,639 Posts
Thanks. It is a relatively old design I think, acquired by Meyer & Studeli when they bought Tieche Gammeter in 1915/16, trim might know more about that. I'm curious how this calibre got into this watch - was it a factory job or a watchmakers conversion? I'm leaning towards the latter because of the brass dial.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Spot on David/Mirius.

Nothing much to add, but I think they were still making this calibre in the 1930s. Besides the unconventional design, it is a good quality lever movement, with 15 jewels. They won some medals/prizes for this calibre family back in the early 1900s.

I agree it's a pretty interesting old conversion :-!

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,639 Posts
Agreed there Kris! And to be clear I assume given that this does appear to be an MST calibre that it would date perhaps mid twenties to thirties.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts