WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remember this guy? Thats right, my favorite brother. Came down a few weeks ago and got a new Speedy Pro. I gave it to him for an early Christmas gift. He couldn't be happier. Here is "Cool Breeze" himself sporting that new Speedy.

The trip to Edisto Island was twofold, a little fun, a few drinks and a visit
to pick up my motor home for a trip to the Atlanta Speedway with his son
in law and some friends. Nothing too serious, just a little fun with the guys. Here he is leaving with his new Speedy on the way back to Evans GA and off to the races next week. My Bro works on Fire Machines for a living. This guy can fix anything. If its screwed up or broken, this is the man to see.

He gets home and everything is cool. All systems are go.
He leaves next Thursday for the Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Uneventful. He get there and sets up and the refridge doesn't work.
(reset button)
No big deal, check the fuses, hell, he is a top notch mechanic.
This guy has a college degree in "I can fix anything".
Still don't work, OK, we can deal with that, buy ice.
Next night, generator shuts down after 2 hrs. No big deal, restart generator, 2 hrs, generator shuts off agian. Oh well, its not too hot
so we will deal with it tomorrow. (generator has a timer)
Goes out front door, now steps won't come out. Not a problem,
(step has in/out switch)
its not that far up, deal with it later. Generator still runs only two hrs.
(timer agian)
Call my house at midnight to get directions on how to get down steps, work refridgerator, and run generator. Calls back a 2am in the morning.
Remember this guy can completly rebuild a million dollar fire truck.
I just can't understand that everything was working when he left,
so it can't be too severe.
Well, he gets home a few days later and I ask him to take it for repair.
Camperland is the Monaco dealer so we make an appt for service.
Few days later the give me an estimate on repair. Here we go.

My problem is the repair bill. Everything was working when he left.
Thing was top notch. Ginger and I use it fairly often.
Didn't mind at all David borrowing it.
Should we split the repairs or should I just suck it up and pay.
I trust the judgement of the forum guys. Most everyone here makes sound judgements on watches, so lets see what you guys think.
Thanks in advance for the input.
jim

·
Banned
805 Posts
Hmmmmm...let it be his"early Christmas gift"to you:-d:-d|>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I would go and get a second quotation, that's an awful long list of expensive stuff that all decided to stop working simultaneously...

Just my $.02.

Jamie

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Sounds to me like you should look into the special offer at the bottom of the invoice. :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Hmmm... I am not an expert on RVs but all those systems went at once?
I fail to see how that could happen unless the entire RV caught on fire?

I would go and get a second and third opinion on this....

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
$40K?! I'm impressed, David. I ran over a curb in my ex-girlfriend's Civic and it only ran me $400.

eric

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Hello Jim! It's outrageous how much parts cost and labor are for a motor coach! The one's I drive cost $260.000!! And they are JUNK! One power side mirror cost $600.00. Can't you get another quote? How about insurances? In life s**t happens, it's never ending. You and your family's health is more importation then the coach. Good luck. John Wilson.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm going to side with RBT...check out the offer on the bottom...good only until 12/31/07!!!

Don't suppose your brother could be pulling your leg??

Good luck!

Assuming that this isn't a joke, I would go for a second opinion with a trusted mechanic. If everything is legit...unfortunately its your RV and I don't feel that it would be fair to ask your brother to pay for any of this stuff.

Good luck again!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wow! You gotta be kidding, right? And $5500 for an "administrative fee"? Wonder what that is?
Anyhow, you asked for thoughts, here are mine -

As a borrower - if something broke that was my fault, I'd expect to have to take care of it. Sometimes that's expensive. Sometimes that means I might rather rent something (houseboat, motor home, etc.) rather than borrow it just to avoid the problem you've noted, which is a pretty extreme example.

As a lender - if something's wrong with the item when I get it back, unless it was clearly the borrower's fault, I'd expect to pay for the repair myself. If it was clearly the borrower's fault, I'd want to see the borrower step up and offer to take care of it.

That's the trouble with borrowing and lending...it can be hard on relationships.

Another thing that goes into the mix here is the relative value - $40K is very substantial to many people, to others, not as substantial. The less substantial it is, the less clear fault is, the more I'd be inclined to just take care of it, particularly if my "borrower" was a good guy about it. Relationships are pretty important, and you're dead a long time. My $0.02. Best, John

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
But this has got to be a joke, right??

$350 Temp check fee? $5500 Administrative fee? $15K labor? Naaahhh. He's just jerking your chain, right?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I can't stop thinking about that quote... Wow....

The only thing I can think of is that the generator surged and the breakers did not flip for whatever reason. This could of have resulted in anything connected to the circuit to fry....?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Out of this world!!

This repair bill is properly out of this world!!!! Incredible!

It seems like there was a major electrical problem with the vehicle. Maybe a short-circuit, or electrical surge/overload from, maybe, a faulty connection at the campsite, or accumulation of static electricity, as sometimes happens with trailers? Any thunderstorms on the road?

You might want to investigate how/where the vehicle was connected to any electrical outlets during the weekend.

Just crazy...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'd trade the brother in.

Another thing you could do is repossess the Speedy, and trade the brother in for one that knows the difference between s##t and shinola when it comes to operating the moving parts of the motor home. Or tattoo the directions on his forearm. Was he sober when he called at 2:00 a.m.? Naaahh...dumb question. If he wasn't so lovable, there'd be a bounty on him. Everybody oughta have a lovable brother. Next time send him on the Schwinn. :-d

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
So, come on, let us know how you pulled this off, David. I have a neighbor who's always emptying his septic tank into the storm drains, and I'd like to teach him a lesson.

The only tools I own are a rubber mallet, a food processor, and a dog. I'll await your instructions.

eric

1 - 20 of 42 Posts