WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In The Shadow Of The Moon

Just been watching a review of this film, and it sounds great. Anyone here seen it?

Fats:-!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I've been itching to see it, Fats, but haven't, yet. The trailer looks great.

On a related note, my Mom was telling me today about meeting Neil Armstrong last weekend. He was at Purdue to dedicate a new building and was making an announcement at the football game. She rode with him in the elevator up to and again, down from the skybox level. She said he seemed nervous on the way up, and on the way down she told him he did a great job, "oh, and on the Moon, too."

She said he was just incredibly kind and humble, and he even gave her a hug, saying thanks. Quite a guy.

eric

·
Registered
44 Posts
I remember reading a book, a while ago, about the Apollo program and one of the astronauts (forgot which) commented on Neil's personality...said he was very shy, very humble, nice guy, not the naval aviator stereotype. One comment I recall also...basically he said that when you asked Neil a question, he looked at you, paused, and a few seconds later opened his mouth and out came a technical answer...it reminded the astronaut of a computer processing first, then spitting out a piece of paper with the answer.

Nice story with your mom Eric...just curious..she didn't happen to mention what he was ...(*cough*)...you know...wearing.... (*cough*)...on say....(*ahem*).....his wrist? ;-)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I tried buying tickets for it when it was posted a while back. Unfortunatey, there was only one showing and the tickets were all sold out:-(

I guess I'll have to wait to buy it or rent it in the future.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Caught it in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago.

In a nutshell, it was absolutely fantastic! All of the living moonwalkers - with the exception of Neil Armstrong - participated. As a life-long space junkie, I have to say, I have never seen a more personal view of these nine men who did something that was beyond amazing.

If you saw some of the documentaries that came out around the time of the Apollo 13 movie (1995), it is really apparent what a difference 12 years makes. This was the first time I have seen pictures of these men and thought, "Wow, he looks old!".

At first, they all comment on the questions that they probably get asked all the time: what was it like to be on the moon/all alone in the CM, Were you scared getting into the spacecraft, that kind of thing. It then gets more into some of the thoughts that the guys themselves have about their experiences, from Charlie Duke's religious awakening, to Gene Cernan's feelings about seeing his buddies fighting and dying in Vietnam while he was training for high-profile, high-glory space missions, to Mike Collins' observation that it was the pure luck of having been born in 1930 that made it possible for him, Aldrin and Armstrong to simply be the right men in the right place at the right time.

What for me was a very poignant moment was when they all, some more overtly, and others more subtly, talked about the struggles they had "coming back to Earth". That is, once you've walked on the moon, what can the rest of your life be like?

This film reminds me, in a lot of ways, of a film called "Moon Shot", based on the book of the same name by Deke Slayton and Alan Shepard. While the title doesn't really suggest it, that film is about the mercury astronauts, and has some amazing footage of the five Mercury guys who were alive at the time sitting around a table in a location that looked like a neighborhood diner, shooting the breeze and reminiscing. That is one of my favorites, and I will surely be pre-ordering "Shadow of the Moon" and keeping it in my permanent library.

Oh, yeah, sadly, there were no really good Speedy shots:-(.

Enjoy!

-Michael

·
Registered
147 Posts
... That is, once you've walked on the moon, what can the rest of your life be like? ...
You are absolutely correct. It never occurred to me, what these men must have thought once they came back to earth/civilian life. You just walked on the moon (or orbited it) and now you are walking the ailses of the local supermarket with our wife and kid... something to think about.

I need to check out these films. Nice thread.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i gota go and see this, it looks great, i onl have one problem with it and that its directed by ron howard, usualu i dont go to see his stuff, but this time i wll make an exeception,

thanks for the info

·
Registered
725 Posts
i gota go and see this, it looks great, i onl have one problem with it and that its directed by ron howard, usualu i dont go to see his stuff, but this time i wll make an exeception,

thanks for the info
Nope. Director is David Sington. Ron Howard was one of the executive producers, which basically means he put up the cash to make the movie.

Besides, how can you have aproblem with Opie?;-):):-d

-Michael

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
What for me was a very poignant moment was when they all, some more overtly, and others more subtly, talked about the struggles they had "coming back to Earth". That is, once you've walked on the moon, what can the rest of your life be like?

interstellar variation I suppose on once you've seen gay Paree how you gonna go back to the farm... I imagine seeing the earth from the moon is a life-changing event, not unlike being a soldier in Vietnam or Iraq, all emotionally overwhelming experiences.

Sean

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just a FYI guys, the DVD will be released on February 12 in case you may want to preorder it or head out to your local video store.

I'll probably be watching it that evening myself:-d

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just pre-ordered the DVD.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Looks to be a great movie. I'll be buying that one for the library.

America...well the world for that matter needs another "Apollo mission(s)", rather than this God forsaken war we are in.

We need something to stand behind together and cheer for, as oppossed to something to stand against and ***** about.

FWIW: I support our troops in this war. I however am sick of our government who wont let finish what we started.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It comes out on DVD here on March 31st. I have already pre-ordered my copy and can't wait. In the meantime I would like to recommend Andrew Smith's excellent book Moon Dust. For those that haven't read it, it details Andrew Smith's quest to track down and speak to the moon men. Fascinating stuff, and a good filler while waiting for In The Shadow of The Moon.

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
I will have to watch it at the theatre.

·
Registered
465 Posts
In the meantime I would like to recommend Andrew Smith's excellent book Moon Dust. For those that haven't read it, it details Andrew Smith's quest to track down and speak to the moon men.
Seconded, I bought that last year to read on the train back from London, the three hours vanished and I 'had' to sit with a pint in the station's bar to finish it off! A great insight into the men of Apollo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts