WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,141 Posts
The reference number you quoted in the old thread (89.0315.400) fits with respect to the case and pushers. What doesn't fit is the bezel (gold) as well as the dial colour (white), also the steel-gold bracelet but those get mixed around far too often as it is. There is also the model 38.0395.400 which is a Series II DeLuca which has a white dial and a gold bezel - but unfortunately the wrong pushers (it has mushroom style pushers)! I have to say that I therefore have a nasty feeling that you have a mariage of two (or more) DeLucas. Not pleasant but a possibility that should not be discarded out of hand.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reference number you quoted in the old thread (89.0315.400) fits with respect to the case and pushers. What doesn't fit is the bezel (gold) as well as the dial colour (white), also the steel-gold bracelet but those get mixed around far too often as it is. There is also the model 38.0395.400 which is a Series II DeLuca which has a white dial and a gold bezel - but unfortunately the wrong pushers (it has mushroom style pushers)! I have to say that I therefore have a nasty feeling that you have a mariage of two (or more) DeLucas. Not pleasant but a possibility that should not be discarded out of hand.

Hartmut Richter
Hi Hartmut,
Unless I made a mistake the number I have always quoted on my watch is ZR890310.400 which is listed as a 1990 special production on the sheet provided by another member known as Tactic. The Blue dial version shown by another member is listed as 1992 special production, number 890315.400. According to the sheet shown by tactic the 1990 version has plain pushers and gold bezel which all agrees with my watch. What remains a mystery is the quantity produced of mine?? My problem is, I have no reference other than the sheet provided by tactic. So if it's correct then, my watch agrees, and is original for 1990. I think it is a genuine series one model.
I appreciated your comments, and am only trying to be sure we get an accurate identification, it would be very interesting if it proves to be a very small production model. All responses warmly welcomed!!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,141 Posts
The sheet by Tactic also appears in Rössler - directly translated into German. There, it talks about a "Ref. 89.0310.400, mineral crystal, with screw down crown, non screw-down pushers, bezel in 14K gold". It fails to give further details but has two sub-models, one Ref. 89.0312.400 made in 1990 in 150 pieces with black dial and black bezel, the other Ref. 89.0315.400, also 1990, made in 530 pieces with a blue dial an bezel (entire stock supplied to A. Cairelli).

In view of the details given there, I have always suspected that the Ref. 89.0310.400 never really existed but should really read "89.031x.400" where the x is either a 2 or a 5 depending on the exact model. Your model contradicts this. The fact is also, that the pusher style still contradicts that in Rössler (the Ref. 89.0315.400 has "mushroom" pushers). Unless others can enlighten us, I suspect that only Zenith will be able to supply an answer.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Hartmut.
There is an example with photos of the 89.0315.400 by Gombrich (Dave) which has the plain shape pushers. If I understand you correctly, you would expect the pushers to be mushroom shape as in the series two de lucas? I assumed that the plain pushers were common to all series one versions? In either case my own 89.0310.400 like Daves 89.0315.400 has plain gold plated pushers, a screw down crown, 18k gold blue enamelled bezel, and the same hands. The difference seems only in the dial colour, and also the design of the subdial as the blue one has a polished rim, where mine does not. So I suppose the existence of our two watches, suggest some inaccuracies in the record books descriptions. I may write to zenith and just ask if they list production quantities for my 89.0310.400. I wonder if anyone knows of another example the same as mine??
Regards Martin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hartmut,
I would like a copy of the zenith book by Rossler you refer to. Do you know The isbn number of the book, or where I could get one?? Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought it would be interesting to see what zenith say about my watch history. So I sent them pictures, and asked about the White dial and production quantity.
I wonder what their records show???
They said it will be a week or two before they reply.
So, I will let you know when I hear.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I thought it would be interesting to see what zenith say about my watch history. So I sent them pictures, and asked about the White dial and production quantity.
I wonder what their records show???
They said it will be a week or two before they reply.
So, I will let you know when I hear.
Thanks m4martin! Please keep us posted.

Cheers!

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts