WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes! I still have my old blue dial Fossil I got in high school. I need to wear it some. My second watch I ever got was Citizen from my wife in high school (we started dating when I was 14). I was an idiot and shortly after we got married I washed it and the crystal broke. I threw it away instead of trying to fix it. What a dumb decision. Who would have ever thought I would have became a big time watch enthusiast and would now miss it so much!?

·
Registered
407 Posts
My first real watch that my dad gave me. He bought it way back when, in a mythical time when you could actually buy a Rolex and even get a discount! Yes, 'tis true!
Anyway, this one has been through a lot and is now relaxing as a watch I still wear, but not all the time. I'm going to keep it in good shape and give it to one of my kids when the time is right.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Unfortunately, my first watch as anything more than a kid was a swatch I had as a teen in the 1980s/90s. That one died and disappeared many many many moons ago...

My first adult watch was a Bulova Caravelle that died a terrible death with a leaky battery and fried movement. Wasn't worth fixing... that happened nearly 20 years ago...

As for the first watch I bought myself that got me hooked into collecting? That was a Sekonda Chrono that was absolute crap. It made me realize I knew jack **** about watches... which led to my moving on to bigger and better watches...

Still not in the 4-digit price range, but I don't expect to get there for another year or two...

Reactions: Thebigif

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Yes! I still have my old blue dial Fossil I got in high school. I need to wear it some. My second watch I ever got was Citizen from my wife in high school (we started dating when I was 14). I was an idiot and shortly after we got married I washed it and the crystal broke. I threw it away instead of trying to fix it. What a dumb decision. Who would have ever thought I would have became a big time watch enthusiast and would now miss it so much!?
I think I recently trashed my blue fossil from the 1990s. The bezel didn't turn anymore, and the movement was shot - but it was a pretty watch... for Nortel Networks, of all things...

Reactions: Thebigif

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My first real watch that my dad gave me. He bought it way back when, in a mythical time when you could actually buy a Rolex and even get a discount! Yes, 'tis true!
Anyway, this one has been through a lot and is now relaxing as a watch I still wear, but not all the time. I'm going to keep it in good shape and give it to one of my kids when the time is right.

View attachment 15865129
I think Rolex has gone the way of the Chevy Corvette and other nostalgic status symbols. There was a time when any working man could afford to buy a Corvette. They weren't outrageously priced supercars. When they first came out, they were about the same price point as a Ford Explorer is. Now they start at double that.

Rolex in the 1950s/60s was less than 25% of what it costs today in real terms. (Equivalent of about $1500 today).

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
This was my 1st wristwatch, given to me in 1969 (I was 11yo), prior to this I had only had 2 different Westclox Big Ben pocket watches, neither of which I have. I did come across this mil style Westclox 20 or so years ago, I remember lusting after it in the display case at Western Auto so I had to buy it :) The Timex still runs and is good overall condition, it was a big deal when I received it so I always cherished it and used it as my "dress" watch, if anything church service seemed longer than ever while wearing a watch, lol.
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Rectangle

·
Registered
58 Posts
My mom gave it to my dad in the early 70's if I'm not mistaken. He didn't like to wear any jewelry so it sat on his drawer until I confiscated it (with his consent). That was when I was in 4th grade, around late 70's. I don't remember how nor when it broke and but I remember skipping it, glass down, across the school parking lot to demonstrate its "scratch proof" crystal :eek:(it was a big selling point by then, I believe). Anyways, I plan to fix it soon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My mom gave it to my dad in the early 70's if I'm not mistaken. He didn't like to wear any jewelry so it sat on his drawer until I confiscated it (with his consent). That was when I was in 4th grade, around late 70's. I don't remember how nor when it broke and but I remember skipping it, glass down, across the school parking lot to demonstrate its "scratch proof" crystal :eek:(it was a big selling point by then, I believe). Anyways, I plan to fix it soon. View attachment 15865995
I have a theory of how that may have happened given your methods of demonstrating its features…

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, Habring2 Chrono COS ZM, Sinn EZM 10
5,756 Posts
Yes.
My first watch was my deceased grandfather's retirement watch, given to my mom for "safekeeping" until I was mature enough to wear it. As a four-year-old, I remember thinking how cool it was that I had such an adult thing. I had it cleaned a couple years ago, and wear it at least twice a year on the anniversary of my grandfather's date of birth and date of death. it also works very well as my "dress watch" for the few times I actually get dressed up. It's the Wittnauer on the right. The watch on the left belonged to my other grandfather, but I didn't get that one until I was about 20 years old.

My mom wasn't ready to let me wear my grandfather's watch, but I was very interested in watches and taught myself how to tell time. When I was six, she gave me this Charlie Tuna character watch. Clearly I loved the hell out of it.

My original Charlie Tuna watch no longer functions, but I did buy two examples off eBay. One is in like - new condition with a box (I don't wear it), and the other is on a aftermarket strap that is very funky 70s (shown below, functional, and worn a few times a year for fun).

·
Registered
37,639 Posts
My first watch was a present from my Nan aged 11 when I went to big school.

It was a Timex Marlin on a leather strap, unfortunately it died a long while ago, but I have the new version of it, which I got as a Xmas gift from my wife, great nostalgia.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts