WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Twisted by Soviets & Russkies mainly ;-)
73 Posts
Suspect I was about 10 when I was given this - hard to believe I still have it (thanks to Dad for keeping it safe whilst I wandered round the world) & it still responds to a good wind - must have replaced the strap at some time & it only just fits my adult wrist some ?? 46 years later
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Silver

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My first "serious" watch, from 2000-2001, my father took me to a seiko dealer and I chose this model simply due to having a blue dial + chronograph, still got it and I rarely wear it due to being smaller size (around 36mm i believe).

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Font

Reactions: Thebigif

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Yes my Yema Chrono bought in the 90s still works flawlessly. The reason I don't wear it often is that the crown's oring needs to be replaced as sometimes I can see the fogging under the crystal, mostly in the summer.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My "first" watch I can remember wearing on a regular basis was given to me as a gift towards the end of high school from my father. I was told that a watch would come in handy for taking the SAT so I could keep track of time on each section. After telling my father this, we took a trip to Dillards at the local mall and he had me to choose a watch I liked. Knowing full well that I had (still have?) zero sense of style in high school, I settled on a steel blue, quartz Seiko 7T32-6N60 with the worst bracelet I've ever seen/worn/owned. I believe my thinking at the time was that the chronograph function would come in handy during the test, which it most certainly did not.

Seiko, if I recall correctly, was the second tier down from their lineup of Movado watches which I thought seemed quite useless for anything other than a vague sense of what time it might be. I'm just glad I had the sense to go with the Seiko over what must have been an ocean of cheap fashion watches at a department store and likely sparked my affinity for the brand long term.

I still have it and still wear it from time to time. It's been through many batteries and was kept without a battery for many years to save it from potential damage, but still works perfectly well. Just curious who else still has their first watch, is it still worn and what's the story behind it?

View attachment 15864521
How many years ago was this? It wouldn't look out of place in a jewellers window today, would it?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nope-don't have it anymore. Could kick myself in the ass for this one. In 1972 I bought an Omega at the Navy PX in Iceland. I was 22 and knew squat about watches. It was an automatic, which I never had before. When it ran down overnight several times after a few hours use the day before, I thought it was broken and threw it in the trash. May the Watch Gods forgive me!!

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
My Lone Ranger and Sears "Skin Divin' " watches are long gone. However I do have the first watch that I bought for myself. 1974 Udorn Thani, Thailand.....

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory

Reactions: LeDandy_66

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
This was a HS graduation gift (1969-1970). I think it cost my Dad around $70. I picked it out.

I imagine I had a watch before this, but I sure don't remember what it was.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
I think this was my first watch

It was a gift from my grandparents when they returned form Switzerland in 1984.

And fun story. Was walking in mall yesterday and came upon this sign at the swatch store

I was in shock. Silly kind of shock- it’s only a swatch!

So I immediately bought it to have the modern size rerelease along with my 1984 original!

Reactions: Time Exposure

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, Habring2 Chrono COS ZM, Sinn EZM 10
5,756 Posts
I think this was my first watch

It was a gift from my grandparents when they returned form Switzerland in 1984.

And fun story. Was walking in mall yesterday and came upon this sign at the swatch store

I was in shock. Silly kind of shock- it’s only a swatch!

So I immediately bought it to have the modern size rerelease along with my 1984 original!

Just…
!!!!!!!!!
COOL!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Certainly not. The climate here won't allow for that. My oldest existing watch only dates from 2008...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Up until 2018 I only wore the cheapest Wal-Mart armitron digital watches money can buy and threw them away when they stopped working because it would cost more for a battery change than to just buy a new one.

My first nice (expensive) watch I bought after discovering WUS was a TAG Heuer aquaracer which I do still have.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't even remember what my first watch was. With the exception of a few watches: Rolex Explorer II Polar, beat up Casio Protek, Helson Shark Diver for casual wear (though tiring of the non-tapering bracelet but hey it was cheap) I have sold most of the watches over time that I have owned when I got tired of them. I'm not really into quartz or digital but the one watch I should have kept was an Omega X-33 Gen 1. Loved the blue on a Sinn Arktis but realized I wasn't a chronograph guy. Have had a Rolex Sub (get bored with black dials) DJ, etc. Would never buy a watch without a date function and currently thinking of adding a Longines Spirit in Blue. We carve our path as we go.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts