WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For example I owned a BB36 purchased brand new from an AD

Shortly after, I purchased an Omega Seamaster 300m, the old 2252 midsize with sword hands. Itll be 14 years old this year.

Now I have worn the Seamaster every day for over a year, and I love it, but sometimes think how nice it would have been if it was one i had purchased directly from the AD for myself

The Tudor is gone and I still have the Seamaster, but i just am craving a brand new watch that is "mine"!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Imho it seems to bother you a lot so like you mentioned, I would just sell it and only buy new from now on.
I own both new and pre owned (althoug generally ive stuck to like-new or mint preowned) and personally it doesn't bother me one bit. If I start thinking that way, I feel like it could be applied to anything, a car, or a house for that matter.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I see this sentiment a fair bit, and while it makes sense, I generally feel the opposite.

Watches are relatively unique in the era of disposable foreign plastic and tech. That watches can 'live' many lives, unlike most things we own, is refreshing.

Jewelry is similarly long-lived, but watches have a technical "moving" element to them that makes them special to the community, I think.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you compare it to a car or house it kinda puts it into perspective!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
It's an inanimate object so I don't see that it was owned should have any impact on your 'relationship' with it. Like a rescue dog it may love you more. Would you require your spouse to have never been married before? Or to have remained a virgin? People get really silly here when it comes to watches.

It really just sounds like an excuse, a justification, a rationalization to get rid of it and buy something new (the 'virgin') and you need hive approval. But what if you buy the new watch and you can't seem to bond with it? Will you re-home it? Breast feed it? Drop it off at the local Fire House? Oh wait, we're talking about watches so, you know....watches

·
Registered
28,660 Posts
I usually make sure I am pretty much 100% good with what I am going to buy before actuallly pulling the trigger to avoid just this issue.

Been there, done that. Now I take a bit more time, do a bit more research, and have a bit more patience......

·
Registered
19,234 Posts
If there is no connection after a while, you could either sell it or use it as a beater.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's the opposite for me. I usually end up selling new watches, and end up keeping vintage/ preowned watches. I seem to have a harder time connecting with brand new watches.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I can see how some may feel like this. I have a mixture of vintage and modern new. IMO once it's yours, it is yours.

I appreciate the the wabi-sabi of the vintage and add to that, but at the same time, I look forward to putting on some scratches on the modern new ones to make them mine.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've considered buying pre-owned but can't pull the trigger. It's due to the same reasons that the OP pointed out. I just can't put something on my wrist that has spent time on somebody else's.

But oddly enough, this only applies to watches with me. I have no problem buying pre-owned with other items.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm going to say no. However, there is a significant difference between my feelings for a new watch - I didn't realize this till I made a new purchase from an AD. Prior to that all my watches were pre-owned.

I feel way more connected to my sub because I was the original owner, sized it, felt like I christened it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As I've read in posts in these forums, a watch purchase is more emotional than logical. After all we all have clocks on our phones. Once you go above a certain dollar amount it has less to do with telling the time and more to do with how much you like it.

I bought all my watches brand new from a $40 Casio analog dive watch (nearly 30 years ago) to a recent purchase of over $1,500 for my Oris Aquis last year. I love them all. For me, being the only owner feels good, but I doesn't preclude me from looking at something preowned. As a matter of fact, I am seriously considering buying an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (the one worn by Daniel Craig in Quantum of Solace). It could be my One Watch and I could easily sell of the rest my small collection.

I realize that the watch would have had a life before and I will not know its provenance. As long as it is in very good to excellent condition, I will pay for it. The way that I look at it is that I would make a life with it. Whatever I did and wherever I went, I would be building my own story with it. It's a bit hokey I know, but that's how I look at it. Sometimes it's helpful to re-frame how you think about it.

In the end, it's how you emotionally connect with it. Go on a few adventures with it and see how you feel. You may change your mind. And if you don't, let it go, man. Let it go. Life is too short to stock with something that you don't like.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Are you struggling with the watch being pre-owned, or is that you are just not bonding with the watch(pre-owned or not)?

My decision to purchase pre-owned vs new is driven more by price and availability.

·
Registered
273 Posts
...As a matter of fact, I am seriously considering buying an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (the one worn by Daniel Craig in Quantum of Solace). It could be my One Watch and I could easily sell of the rest my small collection...
If you could do that without eating too much of the loss on selling your collection, that would be impressive. You'd have to share that here for sure.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I feel you OP, it is just normal I guess. I know someone who just doesn't like the thought of anything used before him and I think that's fine. Personally I don't mind. I got a vintage watch and a watch bought brand new, though I also felt the same for the new one. Go sell it, you wouldn't have thought of selling it if you're not really gonna sell it.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Pre-owned has never bothered me. Occasionally, I am curious about prior ownership, like establishing provenance, but really it doesn't matter to me. Like, my favorite watch is a circa 1981-1997 IWC Porsche Design Titan automatic chronograph. I have heard Steve Jobs of Apple was an admirer, and even gave them out on occasion. It would be interesting to know I had one of those watches. But if mine belonged to an ordinary (but devilishly handsome and funny) guy like me, I don't enjoy the watch any less.

I think an interesting question would be this: what about a previously owned watch would make you like the watch less? Other than things like it was dropped repeatedly, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really am indifferent as to the provenance (that is, new or used) of watch heads. That being said, I do sometimes struggle with used straps. Especially when they come with a bit of grunge between links that looks dark and crusty, or old leather straps that feel a bit...slimy...where it's touched the wrists of previous owners.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts