WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi like many of us here, I love looking at my watches. I really enjoy watching the seconds hand go around the dial. I have passed on many great models that do not have a running seconds. I am tempted to "take the plunge" and purchase an automatic without a seconds hand. Has anyone else done this? What have been your results/experiences.....could I get over it? Did you?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Don't do it, I use to own Frederique Constant without second hand. I force to sell it, the watch look dead without second hand. You need a gliding or ticking second hand to let you know the watch is Alive. JMHO

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks its actually the FC manufacture moonphase 38.5mm that is on my radar. Lovely watch, been looking for a sub 40mm dress watch like this but there is no second hand. If there was I would own it now!

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
I never would buy a watch with no seconds hand. Hard to synchronize with a reference time such as Time.gov or Time.is.

Could be nice as a dress watch but....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sure. My current dress watch has no seconds hand, and the one I'm planning on getting to replace it doesn't either. Makes it look sleeker, I think - and if I'm counting the seconds until I can leave whatever formal event it is, I've got bigger problems than a watch can fix.

It does take a little bit to make sure it's working properly after I set the time, but I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Definitely a personal preference. I would say don't do it. But if it is a watch you really like and can get over the "oddness" of no second hand then go for it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi like many of us here, I love looking at my watches. I really enjoy watching the seconds hand go around the dial. I have passed on many great models that do not have a running seconds. I am tempted to "take the plunge" and purchase an automatic without a seconds hand. Has anyone else done this? What have been your results/experiences.....could I get over it? Did you?
LOL. Good, I'm not the only one with this problem. I can't seem to get over not having a second hand. I love being able to watch the second move around the dial on an auto movement. Maybe it's because i'm new to the world of quality watches and i'll get over it after a while. Until then, I'll deal with my phobia. Good Luck.:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim. Great watch, and I wear it when I want to be in a social environment where I should not get mesmerized by the sweep of the second hand.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Have to have a second hand. I'm not much for dress watches in general, but i feel like a small seconds sub-dial makes the watch much more interesting than it would be with no seconds at all. If you're not going to have any seconds, I almost start to wonder what the point of an automatic is. Why not solar quartz?

39098.jpg

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Yup, never bothered me in the least. It's a dress watch, so accuracy isn't super important for me. It would be pretty annoying to have an automatic without a second hand and without a display back though. I don't wear it very often, and that's the only way I know it's running.

IMG_9199 (Custom).JPG

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I have several; mostly quartz, but also one auto, my Oris Thelonius Monk. (And a Ming is on the way.) I also have a single-hand. Getting used to no seconds hand isn't an issue; getting used to reading a single-hander is a little tricky. Center seconds, sub seconds, no seconds...it can come down to aesthetics. Here's arguably the most elaborate no-seconds watch out there:

The dial on the left isn't seconds, it's PR, which is more important. This is a perpetual calendar, and manual wind.

·
Premium Member
40,681 Posts
Had a few in the past. Don't have a problem living with them at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't.

I've taken the plunge and gone no-date, with no regrets.

But no second hand? NO!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts