WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
It does! And it's also one of the nicest looking cameras out there, if you're the kind to care about that (I am). After I got it, I basically didn't use any of my other cameras for almost 6 months.

Reactions: SkatePunk
How do you primarily use your X-T3?
I just use my X-T3 for a random assortment of personal things, but nothing professionally (yet, at least). I'll use the 18-55 or 16mm for landscapes when traveling. I picked up the 50-140mm f2.8 for a crazy deal, which I use for sports. My girlfriend and I both play ultimate frisbee, so I've taken photos for that, including for the women's semi-pro team. I play for the men's semi-pro team, but it's not very legit - we only make $25-50 per game haha. As COVID-19 cases are controlled more, I may try to help out with second shooting in weddings or portrait shoots using the 56mm f1.2.

Hey y'all, anyone using Fujifilm cameras here for their watch photography?
I really like my XT-30 and my X-100, but I don't use them at all for watch photography. They don't play well with a lot of software (x-trans) and the lens options are pretty limited. Both are super light and portable though. I use them for everything else.

Fortunately, I had older Nikon equipment that works great for watch photography. If that is your immediate goal, I would consider going with Nikon, Canon or Sony. They have the most ecosystem support.

I really like my XT-30 and my X-100, but I don't use them at all for watch photography. They don't play well with a lot of software (x-trans) and the lens options are pretty limited. Both are super light and portable though. I use them for everything else.

Fortunately, I had older Nikon equipment that works great for watch photography. If that is your immediate goal, I would consider going with Nikon, Canon or Sony. They have the most ecosystem support.
The software is kind of limited in that you really want Capture One for Fuji cameras. Though in my personal opinion, getting an excuse to switch from Lightroom to C1 is a blessing in disguise (if you're using something else than lightroom I can't comment).

For the limited lens offerings, I'm not sure I agree. Fuji offer 2 very nice macros, the older 60mm and the new, so-sharp-you'll-cut-yourself 80mm. Obviously Canon or Nikon have more options, but it's not like most people are going to need 10 different lenses for watch photography. I've done watch photography with an X100V and a bit of cropping. Modern cameras are at the point where just about any camera can be used for watch photography as long as you're willing to crop a bit. The light is the big challenge, most ****ty watch pictures is the result of bad light conditions.

The software is kind of limited in that you really want Capture One for Fuji cameras. Though in my personal opinion, getting an excuse to switch from Lightroom to C1 is a blessing in disguise (if you're using something else than lightroom I can't comment).

For the limited lens offerings, I'm not sure I agree. Fuji offer 2 very nice macros, the older 60mm and the new, so-sharp-you'll-cut-yourself 80mm. Obviously Canon or Nikon have more options, but it's not like most people are going to need 10 different lenses for watch photography. I've done watch photography with an X100V and a bit of cropping. Modern cameras are at the point where just about any camera can be used for watch photography as long as you're willing to crop a bit. The light is the big challenge, most ****ty watch pictures is the result of bad light conditions.
Great points. I have been using Capture One for >6 years and it's by far the best photo software I have ever used! I have ZERO need for photoshop now that Capture One 20 has such amazing clone / healing options. Tethered shooting has changed my life...no more tiny LCD screens!

"Limited" was too strong a word...however, the lenses options are not extensive and there are not as many low priced options. I have three Fuji lenses and they are AMAZING.

Regardless of the camera (and I'd through iPhones in the mix with this) it's almost always the lighting that makes a picture. Finding a nice window and $50 worth of diffusers and deflectors will make any camera look like a Hasselbland in the right hands.

Yeah, the low priced thing is definitely true, Fuji lenses tend to be on the expensive side, with less third party support than Canon, Nikon and Sony. Still, the lenses they have are VERY good.

And yeah, 100 dollars worth of light shaping tools (a diffuser and a reflector) adds more to the quality of most pictures than 1000 dollars spent on lenses.

The only watch pictures I've taken were with my iPhone but as to Fuji cameras, I've been quite a fan for a few years now. As someone who grew up in the film era using rangefinders (Leica M4, Yashica, and Minolta) as well as SLRs (Olympus), I was drawn to Fuji's way of doing things. I have an X-Pro 1, X-T1, X-E3 and assortment of Fuji glass and adapters to use some of my old film lenses. I like shooting manual and Fuji makes it easy. I don't tend to upgrade cameras (like the X-Pro 1) because it was a great camera in its day that still takes great images. More pixels or features don't necessarily make me want to upgrade. Here is a favorite image with the X-Pro 1 using the 18-55 lens from about 3 years ago at the north rim of the Grand Canyon:

I still have my not-so-old Fujifilm Finepix bridge camera i bought for photojournalism work (A charity shop sold it for me for £3 because i was a regular, really can't believe someone donated such a decent camera, they had an even newer panasonic one about a year ago, but the whole culture and employees of that shop changed and it's all about the highest price on ebay unfortunatly now), it was a great camera and it had a 50x zoom which means i could camp out in a single spot and get decent shots of what's going on in the distance, it also didn't have bad close up quality, and 720p video, a bit low for todays standard but the best camera is the one you have with you and i captured footage i wouldn't have been able to capture without it.

Upgraded to a Sony RX100IV a year later, because the Fuji was costing me like crazy because it ran on AA's and lasted a few weeks at most on duracells

All in all Im a complete newb photographer. Recently I bough the X-T3 with the XF 18-55 f.2.8-4 lens. On top of that I've got the 7artisans 35mm f0.95 manual prime.

While the kit lens is very versatile (and apparently a really good kit lens) Im thinking of getting one or two new lenses and would love to hear recommendations. I have a feeling that the 16mm f1.4 would be amazing for wrist shots and other close range stuff (I don't mind cropping the images a bit if needed). The 60mm macro I've heard is a really sharp lens even though (physically) you can actually get closer to the object with the pseudo-macro 16mm f1.4. 😅(y)

Any thoughts and lens recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Like others, I use the Fuji X-T3 for a multitude of subjects, including my watches. I've found it very capable and I love the mechanical look and feel of it. My only quibble is that the Fuji app is terrible, which makes live-view shooting nearly impossible. This is really disappointing because live-view enables me to take much better wrist shots. I'm hoping, one day, they fix the app. Some examples:

Watch Hand Arm Analog watch Plant

Watch Analog watch Gesture Finger Clock

I have the X-E3 and would be interested in recommendations for lenses which are ideal for wrist shots. So, not super macro, but sharp images in the 8-12” range. I prefer prime lenses only. Any suggestions?

Fuji XT3 with the following primes: 16mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2. Also have a x100F that I use in more urban settings. I haven't taken watch seriously with them yet. Currently it's mostly adventure travel and landscapes. I recently rented the 200mm f2 for a day trip through yellowstone, I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost, but I would definitely rent it again.

Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Snout Art

Using a X-T2 with the standard 18-55mm kit lens. Great camera, still made in Japan for that model unlike the 3 and 4.

Really interested in getting the 16mm f/1.4 which I feel will likely be the best match for close-up product photography.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.