WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mulling a purchase of a 37mm Master Control but wonder about its versatility. Does anyone wear one daily, or should it really be reserved for dressier situations? This isn't about a question of "what's proper" so much as asking whether it goes from being an elegant watch when dressed up to more of a fuddy-duddy watch when dressed down. Or does it have a strong enough personality to be versatile in all situations? I'm weighing this against a sports watch instead as my daily wearer (it's not similar at all, so I won't make an inane this-or-that thread!).

Reactions: cybercat

· Registered
396 Posts
I find the hometime versatile .As a dress watch yet sporty enough for casual , looking great and appropriate anytime ...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch accessory Watch Analog watch Strap Wrist
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Wrist Fashion accessory

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Really grateful for everyone's responses. I pulled the trigger on the Master Control, so we'll see (hey, if it doesn't work out at least I know there's a market full of people who love this watch!). I'll post pics when it comes. It's on the stock black croc strap, but I've got a brown Hodinkee strap to toss on to test its casual appeal. More soon...

Reactions: cybercat

· Registered
23 Posts
The 39mm Master Control Date is my daily watch. I have it on the black OEM strap and wear it with shorts, jeans, and suits. I'm debating getting the metal bracelet but I just can't visualize how it would look (I think it looks great with the black dial on the JLC web site). I'm hoping someone else will beat me to it and post some pics.

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Wrist

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it arrived. Man oh man is it beautiful! Almost too beautiful. Like, as I sit here in jeans, I don't know how comfortable I'll feel wearing it everyday. I'm going to experiment with a casual strap tonight and see how I feel. But here's a wrist pic in the meantime (it's really hard to capture how the light catches the details on the dial):

· Registered
922 Posts
I think you will be fine as soon as you swap out that "formal" black croc strap. My personal view is that any watch with any arabic numerals at the hour markers is already less dressy ... maybe because that reminds me of my very first watch I had as a 10 year old kid. ;-)

· Registered
36 Posts
I've actually been wondering the same thing about the MUT small seconds. At 40mm size, it's right for casual. But the dial is so open and relatively formal looking. Case so thin as well etc.

In the case of the Master Control here, I think it's got the perfect blend of simple elements to wear dressed up or down. The arabic numerals + date + central seconds can pass for casual.

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
And here it is on a brown Hodinkee strap:

· Registered
361 Posts
I think it is versatile enough for a daily wear even with the black gator. The brown strap dresses it down but it would be pretty inconvenient to switch straps all the time. I think you could get away with a very dark brown gator strap with any attire.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have a Master Control Date 39mm and wear it every day. It's my only nice watch so I don't really have a choice lol but to be honest it looks fine with all looks unless you want to look like a ganster.
How easy is it to swap out the strap? How you do measure up a strap to know it will fit the watch? I have a black strap atm and looking to change it.

Michael

· Registered
1,919 Posts
I wear a JLC master control geographic as a daily wear, most often with casual clothes. On the stock black leather it might be a bit too much, but I decided to shell out the ~$1500 for the OEM metal bracelet. It dresses the watch down a lot and IMO makes it more wearable as a daily.

Also thinking about picking up a more colorful leather strap from Camille Fournet. But I don't know that I would daily it on the black leather.

Of course, the complication also dresses this down more than the basic 3 hander.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

Wrist Fashion accessory Bracelet Jewellery Arm

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

And on leather...

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

1 - 20 of 88 Posts