WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wear mine for work but my other half thinks that I have terrible taste and that the OM is hiddeous. I'm wondering what comments other people get who wear theirs for work.

Cheers,

Catch.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Back when I had an office job and a Seiko Monster, people would give me weird looks all the time when I wore it for work. The Seiko Monster simply doesn't go well when you're dressed formally, especially with the orange dial. The majority of people I know think it's hideous, and I think so too, but its function as a tool watch is well worth the money! Although, no one says anything when I wear it with shorts and a t-shirt. However, it's all about what you like, but don't be surprised if the majority of people you meet dislike it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had mine on at the office yesterday - Orange Monster with a black Zulu. No one said anything. Our office is very casual these days. Also, I wear so many different watches to the office, no one says anything to me. Monsters, Samurai, Casio pathfinders, Oris divers date, Omega Speedmaster, Citizen ECO, G-shock, and more. If I feel like it I wear it. The only one that always gets noticed and commented on is my Nautica NST at 55mm it really stands out.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I wear mine all the time. It does garnish the most comments which are usually, "hey an orange watch". That's about it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I wear mine when I'm dressed casual or in a wetsuit, never with formal. That said, of all of my watches my OM has received the most unsolicited compliments from strangers.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I don't wear mine everyday, but I certainly have no problem wearing it to work. I see many different clients each day and I wear a dress shirt and khakis, so it is fairly casual. I have had people make positive comments about it. Nothing more than "cool watch" or something, but I think most people don't even notice what watch I am wearing. I wouldn't worry about it. Wear it if you like it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
This thread just sounds like an excuse to buy a Black Monster :-! Wear mine with a shirt and tie all the time...the only comments I've gotten about it have been very positive.

Cheers
NM

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, considered the balck monster too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think it is also important on how we carry ourselves. If we are too concious about it and always casting furtive glances when we think ppl are looking at our watch then it does not say much about our deportment. Take it off.

If we are comfortable with how we carry ourselves then just wear it naturally and be happy about it.b-)

I think most of us buy the monsters because we like it and we like even better on our wrist. To hell with other ppl have say about it.:roll: I don't wear my watches to please other people. b-)

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wear mine for work but my other half thinks that I have terrible taste and that the OM is hiddeous. I'm wondering what comments other people get who wear theirs for work.

Cheers,

Catch.
I wear either a suit or a sportscoat to work most days and I don't wear my Orange Monster at the office. IMO it just doesn't go well with that type of clothing.

I have only had it a few weeks, but I did already get a compliment on it at at a party when I was wearing jeans and a polo-type shirt.

To me, the Orange Monster looks great with casual clothing, but it is out of place in a more formal setting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think it is also important on how we carry ourselves. If we are too concious about it and always casting furtive glances when we think ppl are looking at our watch then it does not say much about our deportment. Take it off.

If we are comfortable with how we carry ourselves then just wear it naturally and be happy about it.b-)

I think most of us buy the monsters because we like it and we like even better on our wrist. To hell with other ppl have say about it.:roll: I don't wear my watches to please other people. b-)

My 2 cents.
My sentiments exactly. I have worn an OM with a sportcoat and also have been wearing a black monster on a bracelet in an office setting (dress shirt & tie) for the past few weeks. Several compliments and I like the look and feel on my wrist. I wore a G shock to a meeting a couple of weeks ago without hesitation (has anyone seen Timothy Geithner or some of the other political or wall street guys with their G's? It is not uncommon!)

I wear what I like and what I think looks/feels good. Dive watches, G's, and others can all be appropriate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wear my OM all day, every day. I work in a business formal environment, but it's a bit relaxed, so I usually come in a more modern outfit. Today's slim shirt, "skinny" dress shirt (no tie), and Converse Jack Purcell sneakers :D Yep ... nobody complains ^_^

I rock my converse every day as well, and I like how the OM puts a bit of flair into my wardrobe. The orange stands out, and I think it matches very well with dark blue.

OM on a bracelet, I wouldn't hesitate to wear it with a more formal outfit either, full suit and Oxford shoes. It's not the most handsome piece at first, but it really grows on you. And I find it grows on other people as well.

//edit: To the OP, my ladyfriend thought it was the most hideous thing also. I held off my purchase for the longest time (partially because of that). But now I rock it every day, and I love it. I think she's grown to love it as well :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Can't agree with you tenj. You might be able to get away with it in certain jobs, maybe even a majority of jobs. However, some jobs you need to have the right look, the right atmosphere, the right... yea, you get what I mean. People do take those jobs, and the ones at the top (or even just middle management) require a very specific look to portray the image they want to express. Those jobs are likely not for you, who wants to be the round pegs....

Of course, I wear my OM to office all the time. (Heck, I wear my Tuna on rubber strap to the office too! tho only for casual fridays) The OM goes well with the shirt/slacks combo, especially with a specific light brown shirt of mine. And here in Singapore, except for when you're meeting a big-shot client or the big boss, it's always that dress code. |> And that's just one benefit from living in a year-round 30C+/high humidity climate! ;-)

·
Registered
74 Posts
But of course!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I do wear it at the office, but where I work is always casual Friday (I hate suit & ties). :)
Despite the fact of wearing what I feel and not think of other people, still think that the OM is not a suit watch. You can call me old, boot strap whatever, but I think that for a suit a more appropriate watch should be used a dressy one or a diver that doesn't stand out to much, for instance a Mako.

Just my 2 cents and yes I do love my OM, I do get some compliments out of it, but there are also those who just don't like it.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
The OM may not be a suite watch, but I think it works with anything less than that. I have a few orange ties that I like to wear mine with. I also think it looks great with a royal blue dress shirt. I have never had any negative comments. I am an Architect, so there may be different expectations in law firms or more finance oriented professions.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,332 Posts

Cheers,

Catch.
Really depends on the specific work situation and your office dress code. I wouldn't wear a diver with a suit and tie to a meeting. But in office casual dress, sure. If you are giving a presentation eyes should be focused on you and your material. Not on your wrist.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wear my occasionally, but only with a Brooks Brothers shirt I have that has an orange check pattern on it - sure it's loud, but at least it matches.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts