WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any current G-Shock's which will stand the test of time, out right now? (Obviously you can't know, but still you have some ideas like me). Like the Love the Earth and Sea versions, or the 5000, or (imho!) the gw-s5600.

Thinking back over all the famous g's out there, is there anything like that now? Current production g's. I guess the closest I can think would be any of the Mudmasters (but honestly probably not the top-most version), and the white Burton Rangeman.

Doesn't have to be a special edition, just something that will stand out in years to come.

Denim series? Doubtful.
The "Red" series? Doubtful.
Military fashion 5600s? Possibly.
Mudmasters? Likely
Rescue Red? Eh....
Men in Sunrise Purple? Now this I can see....

So what stands out now? What is on your radar?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I have the GA shown there and it's easily my least favorite G. It's extremely comfortable but I don't see it as a "lasting design/colorway" - just one that'll slot in a long list of g-shocks. I've mulled that other one for a long time but never bought. Black and orange is... kind of my thing. (And I find it ridiculous there's no orange mudman [9300]...)

So what's extremely special about these two to you?

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you literally meant "current production" ones, note that production of all sunrise purple have stopped, though right now they are still easy to get.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Interesting. I have the GA shown there and it's easily my least favorite G. It's extremely comfortable but I don't see it as a "lasting design/colorway" - just one that'll slot in a long list of g-shocks. I've mulled that other one for a long time but never bought. Black and orange is... kind of my thing. (And I find it ridiculous there's no orange mudman [9300]...)

So what's extremely special about these two to you?
Ditto for orange GW930ĺ

hawlrite!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think only squares, 6900 and frogs have really gone on to be iconic models, so it'll be hard for any model to be at that elevated status. Personally, I can't see anything else gaining the same status down the track

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you literally meant "current production" ones, note that production of all sunrise purple have stopped, though right now they are still easy to get.
True. I really meant anything within the [still easily available new], I suppose.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems like Casio is churning out models in a bunch of colorways, and a bunch of fashion type watches, that will not be interesting even so far away as next year. That's too bad!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think only squares, 6900 and frogs have really gone on to be iconic models, so it'll be hard for any model to be at that elevated status. Personally, I can't see anything else gaining the same status down the track
You wouldn't put any of the Mudmasters up there, possibly?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You wouldn't put any of the Mudmasters up there, possibly?
I don't think so, cause I can't see what makes it so special that it will be iconic in the future. The module and its feature set is used in the Gulfmaster, PRW-6000 series and PRX-8000T series as well, so it is not unique, and there's nothing different about its build that has not been used in other Gs before. Don't get me wrong, it is a good G, but I can't see how it will be iconic

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think so, cause I can't see what makes it so special that it will be iconic in the future. The module and its feature set is used in the Gulfmaster, PRW-6000 series and PRX-8000T series as well, so it is not unique, and there's nothing different about its build that has not been used in other Gs before. Don't get me wrong, it is a good G, but I can't see how it will be iconic
Cool, thanks for the answer. I'd looked at that 6k series Protrek (and it was on my list actually) but I did not actually pay that close attention to the module.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe the GD350
That's a great call. I have one of those on order right now (well, supposed to - gift from wife). I'm super excited to see it - the numbers are supposed to be slightly bigger, negative display better, and the vibe, gotta check that out.

Question though: if you think the gd350 design will be an enduring design, why hasn't Casio sprung off that a little and done more builds off that?

Reactions: Mrcrooka1

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
^Most likely cause it didn't sell. I think they pulled the plug on it a few months after release in early '13.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I'm glad I'll be getting one, then. :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Maybe the GravityMaster? Though high on price but I find it's quite unique.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts