WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved watches and have always had a fascination for Rolex. In March 2020 I made a career move and moved from the USA to Toronto. I felt that it was time for me to finally purchase my first rolex. After many disappointing AD visits, I gave up on the possibility of buying my first rolex at an authorized dealer. Then in December 2020 I ended up pulling the trigger and purchased an 214270 Explorer I from DavidSW. The feeling of owning my first Rolex that signifies a special milestone of my life was amazing. So amazing that my wife(who doesn't care for watches) jokingly said that she was going to be able to purchase one from the AD after all my failed attempts. Long story short- my wife started visiting our local AD and became friends with the SA. In march 2021 she got the call for a Sub41 and just last week she got the call for a black dial Milgauss.

I visited multiple ADs for many months and was not able to get anything. My wife who doesn’t love watches got two sport models within 7 months. I guess anything is possible and the SAs just pick out the clients who they want to allocate their pieces. Just wanted to post this to encourage everyone to just try and if it doesn’t work then send your wife!

Below a picture of my current collection along with a vintage Omega that was handed down from my father.

Cheers!
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have always loved watches and have always had a fascination for Rolex. In March 2020 I made a career move and moved from the USA to Toronto. I felt that it was time for me to finally purchase my first rolex. After many disappointing AD visits, I gave up on the possibility of buying my first rolex at an authorized dealer. Then in December 2020 I ended up pulling the trigger and purchased an 214270 Explorer I from DavidSW. The feeling of owning my first Rolex that signifies a special milestone of my life was amazing. So amazing that my wife(who doesn't care for watches) jokingly said that she was going to be able to purchase one from the AD after all my failed attempts. Long story short- my wife started visiting our local AD and became friends with the SA. In march 2021 she got the call for a Sub41 and just last week she got the call for a black dial Milgauss.

I visited multiple ADs for many months and was not able to get anything. My wife who doesn’t love watches got two sport models within 7 months. I guess anything is possible and the SAs just pick out the clients who they want to allocate their pieces. Just wanted to post this to encourage everyone to just try and if it doesn’t work then send your wife!

Below a picture of my current collection along with a vintage Omega that was handed down from my father.

Cheers!
View attachment 16171577
Wives can find a way… but perhaps not every time. This might be hard to replicate. I feel you got a bit lucky ( from getting a good wife AND buying 3 hard to get Rolexes in practically no time) congrats

·
Registered
108 Posts
My wife is much more likable than I. And she's slowly starting to show interest in watches after years of rolling her eyes at me. Perhaps she's the ticket to me getting the GMT I want for my 40th :)

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
I got my first Rolex ever, a z-blue Milgauss, in July after a six week wait with the out of state AD I got it from. Then I got my BLNR on jubilee after a two month wait from another out of state AD.

Keep trying, cause there seems to be no rhyme or reason for getting the call. It can happen.

Reactions: guillelopez

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Not trying to water down your satisfaction. It just warrants commenting:

I guess anything is possible and the SAs just pick out the clients who they want to allocate their pieces. Just wanted to post this to encourage everyone to just try and if it doesn’t work then send your wife!
This kind of capricious BS is precisely why Rolex won't get my money. It's conveys a fundamental disrespect for their customer.

That said, there's history and heritage in Rolex predating the current artificial scarcity games. You've reached a goal and we're happy for you, bro. Hope you smile every time you check your wrist.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sounds like the SA is working your wife. Hopefully she's not wearing any new jewelry....💑

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats OP! I picked up my first Sub from David SW recently. After a couple years of following prices and watching them continue to rise, I was finally in a position to make a move. I knew what I wanted and figured I could complain about the current situation or I could review the facts and make a decision. So that's what I did and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story. Everyone reading this is probably wondering how your wife looks like ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind words. For the ones wondering, the SA is a middle age lady😄. My wife does go in from time to time with her friends to look at jewelry, but have never bought any jewelry. So far we have gotten the Sub41 and the Millgaus, as well as another Sub41 that one of my wife friends bought.

Now I am debating if to wait for a Batman or just go ahead and purchase a 40mm Explorer II 16570 to complete my collection.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Thank you everyone for the kind words. For the ones wondering, the SA is a middle age lady😄. My wife does go in from time to time with her friends to look at jewelry, but have never bought any jewelry. So far we have gotten the Sub41 and the Millgaus, as well as another Sub41 that one of my wife friends bought.

Now I am debating if to wait for a Batman or just go ahead and purchase a 40mm Explorer II 16570 to complete my collection.
I like both, but having just gotten the Batman from an AD, if it's between the Explorer II and the Batman always choose Batman.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My wife isn’t opposed to a little flirting to get what she wants (it obviously worked with me). Maybe it’s time to get her involved with my local AD. The main SA at my local AD is a middle aged guy that would probably prefer my wife’s company over me any day. Did you have to bribe your wife to get her to help out or did she do it just to show you up?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts