WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this watch and love everything about it except ... the $50,000 price tag. Unfortunately I have that money earmarked for other frivolous things such as a mortgage, utility bills etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar in look but for a heck of a lot less money?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I came across this watch and love everything about it except ... the $50,000 price tag. Unfortunately I have that money earmarked for other frivolous things such as a mortgage, utility bills etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar in look but for a heck of a lot less money?
No pictures or details about the VC that I can see...

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I don't know of a true homage to that VC, but Parnis does one that is vaguely similar-ish. Very vaguely. Who knows, eh?

Manual-wound, work horse 6497 movement.
359ccec391b605b0caca2674e96958c2.jpg

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
It’s the historiques series and it’s the 1921 model, made for driving I believe. Don’t know of any homages to it other than replicas from China which is of course not to be encouraged.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The Longines Avigation Type A-7 1935

IMG_5356.JPG

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The closest two I could find would either be:

89bd0c_42fbcc6a749c4557a8ee778941f47f60_mv2_d_3168_3168_s_4_2.png

Don Klyne Chaplin

s810667020820438507_p8_i20_w640.jpeg

Reverie Sea-Spirit

Although neither have that off kilter positioning.
But the RGM Model 222-RR does, if that's what you really like about the VC

BOX_CAR_02.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Luch very similar to this - scouring the net for a pic now, can't send you a wrist shot as I'm away at work. Belarussian hand winding watch. Scrapes in a little way under the VC. 99.9%....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is a Luch I bought from some shady Belarussian website a while ago. The website doesn't exist anymore, so I'm not sure how it could be purchased again. Took about 3 months for it to arrive. Cost about $75 for an in house mechanical movement. I ended up breaking it when I tried to put in a new crystal, as the plastic one it came with had a scratch.
The model number is 337587249.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
For the cushion case style, look at Smith's PRS-36 or Melbourne Carlton chrono, if you you could be tempted by a more modern look.

prs-36-2.jpg

Melbourne-Watch-Company-Carlton-2-845x550.jpg

The "driver's watch" or "driving watch" offset dial type will be a lot harder to find. As mentioned, Longines makes some, but even Seiko had a modern take on that subject. If you're lucky, you might also find a vintage piece from e.g. Elgin, Waltham or even Russia for cheap somehow..

Longines-Heritage-Aviation-Chrono-A7-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full.jpg

ea503b00200add3efbf374234946f722.jpeg

RusPocWat.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although I do like the case shape and the rotated dial as stand alone features I find the combo particularly appealing. Thanks for the suggestions so far .

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Although I do like the case shape and the rotated dial as stand alone features I find the combo particularly appealing. Thanks for the suggestions so far .
In that case I think you should look for a vintage piece. Won't be easy, but probably more achievable than the VC.. ;-)

Waltham-Off-centre-Wristshot.jpg

(not my watch and not my pic)

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Off the back of everyone's messages I have found this Luch watch. I was wondering how hard would it be to move the dial feet so the dial is rotated . Is this a job that I could try at home or is this a job for a professional.
Not too difficult. I've done a dial modification on a Luch one-hander. Of course you need to be careful when working with the movement, but if you take your time it's not too hard to do. The dial feet are easy to remove and then you just replace them with dial dots. These are small dots of double sided sticky tape specifically made for watchmaking, to attach the dial to the movement at any angle you like.

While you're at it, you could even print your own dial that looks more like the VC. For my Luch I did the design in MS PowerPoint and printed it out on ink jet printable white overhead transparency. Then I carfully sanded down the original dial so that it wouldn't shine through and glued the printed dial on top. It was fun to do it be to be honest I don't really wear the watch even though.. ;-)

Luch_r1.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts