WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got this lovely old Mido Ocean Start Powerwind, which I understand contains the Mido 1147 (?) caliber.

In comparison to all my other vintage stuff (both old Swiss like Tressa, Buler etc. and old Japanese) and most of my new watches - this is by far the sweetest movement. It wakes up after the slightest of movements, crown operation is super-smooth, it and has the most satisfying winding sound when the rotor rotates. Plus, it's very accurate (about 1 second per day) despite not being the chronometer version.

So what's the secret...? Is it a Mido in-house, or just a generic Swiss movement that simply got better regulated, or better serviced over time?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
Mido used generic movements by ETA and AS, usually modifying them in some way. The cal. 1147 is essentially an AS 1716. So no, not in-house.
According to the Ranfft archive, the version for the Ocean Star was the 1147OC- the basic 1147 doesn't have the date function.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what kind of modifications they did? No exhibition case-backs at the time so I suppose it had to be functional, not just cosmetic.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
Stem release lever, since the Ocean Star cases are "top-loaders". A fine regulator. Frequency was increased from 18000 to 19800 vph. Oh, and forgot to add- the 1716 was the base movement for the whole family of Mido 1147 movements, the one corresponding to the 1147OC is AS 1839.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts