WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to resurrect a question I posed quite a while back. I have a Suunto Traverse and I like to mark "waypoints" when I find something interesting when I'm out exploring on foot. Is there any way to pull that waypoint off of the watch when I hook it up to my computer? I know I can put the tracks in gpx files. I know I can pull the routes off as gpx files as well. I want to be able to mark a way point and then transfer that waypoint to the computer. This is a very simple, basic function that every handheld GPS I've ever used has. Garmins do it, Magellans do it, DeLormes (when they were around) do it, etc. Why is this very very very basic functionality missing from the Suunto? I contacted Suunto, but that was over a year ago. They update their software on a geological time scale so I'm not holding my breath. Does anyone know how to accomplish this function?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I assume it's the same with Suunto Spartan. Connect your watch to Movescount on Desktop. After sync. Under your profile, Select Watches - Traverse. Select NAVIGATION from the dropdown option POIS. Then select the POI that you want SAVED in watch or save details for future use.

Wind it up⌚now let it roll

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I think you all are misunderstanding. I want to export a single "POI" or "waypoint" WITHOUT having a 'move' being active. I tried doing it from the movescount web site as SUPmission suggested and all you can see are the coordinates and the point on the map. I want to be able to export the waypoint to be used in other GPS devices or on other mapping software on the computer. I'll break it down like this.

1. I'm out walking while wearing my Traverse. I see a cool rock formation or a eagle's nest or whatever that I want to come back to later. I mark the point on my Traverse (without a Move being active mind you).
2. I get back home and I want to export that POI/waypoint to my computer so that I can see where it is on the map, say Google Earth or BaseCamp or some other software.
3. Since this waypoint should be in a standard GPX file, I can transfer it to my Garmin GPSMAP or DeLorme so that I can navigate back to it using a device with actual maps on the display.

So, either something is missing in translation here or it isn't possible. From what I heard from Suunto last year, it isn't yet possible. If I'm misunderstanding, could please walk me through this. If Suunto doesn't provide this functionality, someone please rattle their collective cage and make them include what has been a function of every GPSr from the beginning!

[As an aside, the Movescount web interface is very poorly designed. And I don't know why Suunto decided to change the meaning of POI from every other GPS manufacturer and the accepted standard. "Waypoints" are user created position markers. "POIs" are usually understood to mean permanent waypoints that are included in the maps, such as gas stations, government buildings, etc. Suunto muddied up the waters by doing this.]

·
Registered
123 Posts
No, I think you all are misunderstanding.
:) Ok I will try again, steb by step

1. when you are outstide with watch at interestig location go to navigation, my location and save that locaton to watch as POI
2. sync watch with movescount
3. Export all your activitys (moves, poi-s, routs in movescount

exp.jpeg

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I did, step by step.

1. saved "poi" in navigation menu on watch
2. synchronized watch using Moveslink2
3. Opened movescount.com
4. went to watches, navigation, POIS, no place to export a single POI
4b. In POIS menu, chose to "save" and get error message of "SORRY! SOMETHING WENT WRONG."
5. went to my profile menu and chose "export", "Export all your data".
6. waited and waited and still no e-mail link.
This is a horrible way to get data off the watch!

It seems the only thing you can directly export is a "Move" and that is only for the track, not the POIS. Clearly these watches are still meant solely for runners, etc. In order to get any useful data off the watch, you HAVE to have a MOVE active.

I should be able to save a waypoint/POI, sync the watch to the computer/movescount web site and then export either routes or tracks, or waypoints in GPX files or other open format and read them with whatever stand alone software I want. Suunto has locked you to their less than stellar web site for everything and that is just wrong. I can take a handheld GPS, whether it be a Garmin, a Delorme, a Magellan, whatever, and gather and export my data with no problem whatsoever. Why can I not do this simple, most basic functionality of a GPS, thing with a Suunto?! Why do I have to go through some dumb web site and wait for a link to download the data from the cloud when the data is sitting on the darned watch?!

When it comes time to replace this watch, Suunto had better create a much more streamlined way to get data off the watch or they will have lost another customer to one of their competitors.

·
Registered
215 Posts
kcotham, last time you asked the same question, I described the way how I would approach this - copying POIs from Movescount as text and converting those in into valid GPX to use with handhelds, GEarth, Basecamp, whatever.
I assume it didn't work out? What kind of issues you ran into? Just tested with fresh POIs from watch and loading resulting gpx-file into Google Earth - it still works. Though there are some small yet easy to detect glitches.

There's no reason to assume that there would be any more feature updates to Traverse, Movescount or sync clients (Moveslink2) - Suunto is way too busy building new ecosystem and developing for their next generation watches.
Traverse is a solid and matured piece, all the features are frozen by now and if it fails to deliver as it is, you are better off finding a replacement sooner rather than later. If you are coming from Garmin handhelds and you are after somewhat similar feature set & usage scenario but just in different form factor, Instinct & Fenix will probably tick way more boxes for you than any Suunto watch out there.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
kcotham, last time you asked the same question, I described the way how I would approach this - copying POIs from Movescount as text and converting those in into valid GPX to use with handhelds, GEarth, Basecamp, whatever.
I assume it didn't work out? What kind of issues you ran into? Just tested with fresh POIs from watch and loading resulting gpx-file into Google Earth - it still works. Though there are some small yet easy to detect glitches.

There's no reason to assume that there would be any more feature updates to Traverse, Movescount or sync clients (Moveslink2) - Suunto is way too busy building new ecosystem and developing for their next generation watches.
Traverse is a solid and matured piece, all the features are frozen by now and if it fails to deliver as it is, you are better off finding a replacement sooner rather than later. If you are coming from Garmin handhelds and you are after somewhat similar feature set & usage scenario but just in different form factor, Instinct & Fenix will probably tick way more boxes for you than any Suunto watch out there.
Getting all the data off the watch using the method of downloading all your data from that link technically works. It's a very inelegant and very slow method of getting the information. It does create a GPX file for each waypoint, which is great. But it also puts all the moves in FIT files, which not every program can read.

The main problem with what you say about Suunto and the Traverse is this. They marketed the watch as an adventure watch, a hiking watch. It's basically a re-designed Ambit. The software is still oriented around exercise and sports. They left key features out that are expected in a modern hiking GPS. The Movescount web site is the same. It is oriented around exercise and sport. It isn't friendly to hikers and outdoorsmen. And if Suunto never rectifies this, they will loose that market to their competitors, because their "ecosystem" is more flexible and more friendly to casual outdoor activities. So, if they had not marketed the watch as such, I would not have expected this basic functionality and probably not bought one. There is nothing wrong with the watch itself. It's of extremely good build quality. It performs admireably. But Suunto has hamstrung it with their 'ecosystem'. The inability of the watch to directly communicate with a computer, easily and its reliance on the Movescount web site will ensure Garmin et al. will dominate that market. Suuntos are great for sport and training, no doubt. But when I replace the Traverse, it won't be a Suunto if they keep to this path.

P.S. If anyone wants to buy a Traverse with a sapphire crystal, let me know ;-)

·
Registered
215 Posts
kcotham, last time you asked the same question, I described the way how I would approach this - copying POIs from Movescount as text and converting those in into valid GPX to use with handhelds, GEarth, Basecamp, whatever..
Getting all the data off the watch using the method of downloading all your data from that link technically works. It's a very inelegant and very slow method of getting the information. It does create a GPX file for each waypoint, which is great. But it also puts all the moves in FIT files, which not every program can read.
I'm not a native speaker, but never tought my communication skills were so bad...

Anyway, if at some point you still would like to build a single GPX file with tens of Movescount POIs in a minute or two, feel free to click that link. It points to a reply that is NOT about Movescount data export.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a native speaker, but never tought my communication skills were so bad...

Anyway, if at some point you still would like to build a single GPX file with tens of Movescount POIs in a minute or two, feel free to click that link. It points to a reply that is NOT about Movescount data export.
I appreciate your help, I really do, but this also is a very inelegant solution to what should be a straightforward "just click and it works" operation.

Cheers!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi kcotham

The EXPORT function is very slow and if you dont want to use margusl's way to export the waypoints, you need a tool to do this.

I have written some time ago a tool to export all waypoints (or POI's only) into a GPX file. But only used with my Ambit 2S.

SAWaypoints.png

If you want the tool and test it with your Traverse, tell me and I will publish a download link.

Gerold

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi kcotham

The EXPORT function is very slow and if you dont want to use margusl's way to export the waypoints, you need a tool to do this.

I have written some time ago a tool to export all waypoints (or POI's only) into a GPX file. But only used with my Ambit 2S.

View attachment 13783063

If you want the tool and test it with your Traverse, tell me and I will publish a download link.

Gerold

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi kcotham

I have changed my tool a little bit and is has been tested with Ambit 3 Sport and Peak models on Windows and Linux (with CrossOver 17.5.1).

SAWaypoints.png

The tool has been added to our Suunto Ambit tools and can be downloaded from here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sZ6sIlQVfwEbOjtQXO3PJJ7PtMy2wTQe

I guees that the Ambit Traverse also works with the tool as this model is an "Emu" device like the Ambit 3 Sport or Peak. Functions to read
the POI's should be the same. Would be nice to get a feedback.

Gerold

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried your tool on my Ambit (no suffix). It looks nice, detects the watch fine, but I guess that M Sync was a later feature; the log says:
[INFO] SAWaypoints 1.5.0.18
[INFO] Searching connected Suunto Ambit...
[INFO] Suunto Ambit (legacy) connected
[INFO] Serial-Number 75179B4613000200
[INFO] Product-Id: $0010
[INFO] FW Version: 2.5.7
[INFO] HW Version: 69.1.18948 (E.1.J.4)
[INFO] Enabling "M Sync" mode...
[ERROR] ReadRunTimeFlag not supported.
[ERROR] Could not enable "M Sync" mode

Doesn't matter to me, I only landed on this post in search of a successor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi truestone

I've never had an Ambit (no suffix, first generation) and I know nobody with such a watch. All I know is that Product-Id $0010 points to the Ambit legacy models version 1.0, 1.5, 1.8 and 2.0
The Product-Id $0011 points to the latest Ambit (no suffix, first generation)

I just analyzed the firmware of your watch and could not find the text "M Sync" inside. I guess that when you connect your watch with Moveslink, that you dont see this text on your watch while syncing the watch. Right?

Maybe this model that does not have a Runtime flag and I should simply ignore it to make the program work with this model.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi truestone

I've never had an Ambit (no suffix, first generation) and I know nobody with such a watch. All I know is that Product-Id $0010 points to the Ambit legacy models version 1.0, 1.5, 1.8 and 2.0
The Product-Id $0011 points to the latest Ambit (no suffix, first generation)

I just analyzed the firmware of your watch and could not find the text "M Sync" inside. I guess that when you connect your watch with Moveslink, that you dont see this text on your watch while syncing the watch. Right?

Maybe this model that does not have a Runtime flag and I should simply ignore it to make the program work with this model.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts