WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my first AP about a month ago... A 15400. I have noticed a couple of things and I hope an owner can verify theirs is like this or not before I go to the AD.

First I think is correct... You can hear a ratcheting sound when the weight rotates? Its been years since I owned any other watches so not sure this is to be expected.

The main thing that has me worried... The date indicator. The other day I looked down and it was between numbers. I reset the date and it has been lined up proper since then. However I have noticed the date doesn't change till at least 12:05-AM. Is this normal? In the manual it says date changes instantly at midnight so I watched it tonight expecting a quick click.

Besides that I love the timepiece. I've been wanting one since 2000 when I first laid eyes on one. Since then nothing had been on my wrist. Now of course I have my eyes set on a Diver.

I appreciate the feedback!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Seems everything is normal, no worries.

The ratcheting sound is the rotor winding the mainspring...you will hear it from automatic watches.
The date indicator is normal too. Unless you are spending close to 6 figures on a piece then almost every single watch will have a "gradual" change rather than an instant change. The time it takes to change varies per watch as it can take anywhere between 6 hours to just a couple seconds. Some watches have an instant change so they change right away but even then, its almost never exactly at 12. If its within 30min before or after then that is great.

The gradual change comes from the gears that are engaged at that time period that slowly move the date disc.
The instant change is when energy is stored up until that one moment where it releases and the change is instant. (F.P. Journe is currently working on his perpetual which changes all the dates together at precisely 12, he is not happy with it which is why it has been delayed for almost a year now)

Reactions: shnjb

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent thank you so much for that.

I like the sound. I just don't recall hearing it as beautifully as I can on this piece.

As far as the date changing then I am happy. When I read "instant" in the manual I was expecting an instant change...

Thank you :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Abu....6 hours for a date wheel to index around?? That's nuts!! Is it a certain brand of watch or one with lots of complications that is that slow?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Abu....6 hours for a date wheel to index around?? That's nuts!! Is it a certain brand of watch or one with lots of complications that is that slow?
Ive never actually seen it or owned a piece that takes that long but generally speaking if its between 9pm and 3am then some gears are in action and well...that as they say is that lol. Earliest ive seen is my BP which starts at like 9:30 and finishes just past 12.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ive never actually seen it or owned a piece that takes that long but generally speaking if its between 9pm and 3am then some gears are in action and well...that as they say is that lol. Earliest ive seen is my BP which starts at like 9:30 and finishes just past 12.
Not saying there is a problem with the OP's watch, plus I don't own one, but doesn't the AP 3120 have a special mechanism that not only changes "instantly" but also means that it's safe to adjust the date regardless of the time of the day/night (which would be a known way to harm the date-change on conventional movements)?

I don't own one and, for all I know, it may be that this "instant" change takes places a few minutes either before or after midnight, but I believe it sure as hell shouldn't span over several hours.

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The manual says to avoid changing the date after 6pm and 6am. Or something like that...

Now I'm nervous again... Going to watch it change again tonight

·
Registered
812 Posts
If AP states instant it takes 5 mins. It is lying or at least exaggerating. I am definitely not ok with that were I you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I stared at it from 11:55 till now... At exactly 12:05-AM CLICK!!!!! Went from 16 to 17!!! Why it was gradual last night I have no idea...

Will be watching every night... Very cool to see and hear the date change like that.

This time the date indicator did not budge until 12:05 when it advanced. Maybe I will video it one night :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might as well ask another question...

In the manual it says to manually wind the watch every day to keep things lubricated? Seriously? I mean wouldn't that lead to excessive wear on the crown screw?

·
Registered
394 Posts
You date at 12.05 is ok I think. My Diver which has the same movement and it clicks instantly at 11.59. The instant click is the quick change, it's not like the date slowly starts to turn and gradually changes over half an hour or an hour or so. I think a few mins either side of midnight for the instant click over to start is fine(in my opinion).

Enjoy the 15400, it's a great watch and on my radar. Let's see some pics of that beauty!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I can understand a few minutes tolerance... I wonder if there is a way to adjust it though without a real servicing?

I have my eye on a diver for my next piece. :)

Thank you!!!

Photo to come

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. My watches change +-5 minutes to midnight too.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The movement on the 15400 and 300 has instantaneous date change. That is correct. It does not guarantee that it will change at 12 on the dot but it is instantaneous and not gradual when it happens.

I have no clue why yours acted funny the other night but it should not be gradual on this movement.

Mind you, instantaneous date change is not really groundbreaking horological innovation here. Lots of other common watches have this function including most modern Rolexes.

The sound is normal but it's not a sign of greatness either. It's just some movements are noisier than others. Have a sapphire case-back does not help either. My Reverso's Autotractor movement sounds like an airplane is about to take off when the rotor is rotating. I never too that as a sign of quality but it never bothered me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Change again right at five past midnight.

It is a nice sound I like it. Not annoying. It's like crystal trickling down.

I have had watches in the past that would keep me awake at night from the other side of the room... This is nothing like that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tonight changed at 12:02:45

First time I noticed not at midnight...

(Using these posts to keep track of this)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't sleep much at all anyway :D

Just puzzles me that it changes... I wont obsess about it much longer, but I am curious to see when it will change if I am awake :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts