WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I don't know if this the right forum, but it falls under divers watches and high end watches???? There is a new launch of the AP ROO Divers. A 42 mm steel watch with a rubber bracelet. I was going through the details on the AP website and it looks very impressive. Was thinking of buying it in the near future. The price however might be almost double that of the new Rolex Submariner. Do take a look and advise. I have never worn a AP, although I recently bought a Rolex Datejust II with rhodium dial and arabic numbers. So was seriously thinking of going for a AP. attaching some pics for your reference. Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks.

Ashutosh

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Looks nice for an AP ROO. Not so crazy about the rubber strap though. I'm a little confused on what your asking, are you asking us what we think of it? The decision is up to you, if you like it and it looks good on you, buy it. It's definitely respectable and a good brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
AP is one of the BIG TOP 3 watch makers:
1) Patek
2)Vacheron
3) AP

so its up there with the best, but I still love the classic Royal Oak Chrono over the Royal oak offshore and this one of course..
the Royal Oak Chrono is a classic AP which was designed by G.Genta..G.Genta designed the Nautilus for Patek as well..

Regards,
Hamad

Looks nice for an AP ROO. Not so crazy about the rubber strap though. I'm a little confused on what your asking, are you asking us what we think of it? The decision is up to you, if you like it and it looks good on you, buy it. It's definitely respectable and a good brand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi MoJaZeF,

I am looking to buy an AP myself and I prefer the chrono too. I am new to AP, what is the difference between the Royal Oak and the Royal Oak offshore. I know the sizes are different and Offshore is a tag more expensive.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I really like the Diver and I think it will be my 2nd AP. I haven´t had a chance to try it on, but according to my AD it has the same case as the ROO an I think the buckle will be a better fit for my 6.75" wrist than the deployant the ROO has.

I also prefer it over the ROO, because it has a cleaner look and the AP in house 3120 caliber (I´m not a fan of the modular chrono movements).

It´s different than a Sub. I really like the finish AP gives to it´s cases and the dial of all Royal Oak´s is a work of art. I´d rather have the Diver than 2 Subs.

BTW-I enjoy wearing Rolex and the GMT2c is the watch I wear the most from my collection.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found out that the cheaper Royal Oak has an inhouse calibre but the more expensive ROO has a JLC caliber. I thought that is weird, does that mean JLC has better caliber than AP? Pls advise!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
JLC probably charges a fat premium for AP to use their movements (and if they want to modify it), this would be factored into the cost of the watch. JLC also has more experience than AP with base calibers, what are called "tractors" for complication modules ... However, I would not say that any AP base movement is inferior to any JLC movement in any manner, it is just that a lot of JLC calibers are more tried-and-tested.

Furthermore, I think for the AP Royal Oak they have modified the JLC caliber and the movement has amazing finish and some intricate decoration. Another factor might be that AP as a modern "manufacture" has matured sufficiently to produce movements in-house more cost-effectively. It should be remembered that historically the big three (PP, VC and AP) barely made any movements, they used to purchase ebauches from JLC, Lemania and the like, modify and finish/decorate them to very high in-house standards. It is only in recent years ('90s and later) that they have all become "manufactures" in the real sense of the term.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I found out that the cheaper Royal Oak has an inhouse calibre but the more expensive ROO has a JLC caliber. I thought that is weird, does that mean JLC has better caliber than AP? Pls advise!
Cheaper might not be the best way to describe it, since both are very expensive watches. The RO has an inhouse movement (caliber 3120) and the ROO and ROC both use a base caliber made by another company. The ROO houses a modular chrono movement made by JLC and the ROC the F. Piguet 1185 integrated chrono movement.

JLC is a true manufacturing company and it`s well known for providing base movements, to many high-end companies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cheaper might not be the best way to describe it, since both are very expensive watches. The RO has an inhouse movement (caliber 3120) and the ROO and ROC both use a base caliber made by another company. The ROO houses a modular chrono movement made by JLC and the ROC the F. Piguet 1185 integrated chrono movement.

JLC is a true manufacturing company and it`s well known for providing base movements, to many high-end companies.
I am actually very keen to purchase the Royal Oak Chrono. I buy watches because firstly I like them and very close secondly for investment, not necessarily for monetary gain but as family heirloom. Since I am buying an AP, should I stick to in house movement? I am a purist.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I am actually very keen to purchase the Royal Oak Chrono. I buy watches because firstly I like them and very close secondly for investment, not necessarily for monetary gain but as family heirloom. Since I am buying an AP, should I stick to in house movement? I am a purist.
I went with the RO 15300 for my first AP. I like it better than the ROC based only on cosmetic reasons. The Piguet 1185 is a very reliable movement and I wouldn´t mind owning one.

If you´re a purist you should consider the 15202. The 15202, especially with the black dial, is truest to the Genta original RO. It´s powered by the JLC 920/AP 2120 movement, one of the finest automatics made.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went with the RO 15300 for my first AP. I like it better than the ROC based only on cosmetic reasons. The Piguet 1185 is a very reliable movement and I wouldn´t mind owning one.

If you´re a purist you should consider the 15202. The 15202, especially with the black dial, is truest to the Genta original RO. It´s powered by the JLC 920/AP 2120 movement, one of the finest automatics made.
Thanks for the advise. I think I have set my heart on a chrono. I already have a sport watch with hour & minute (Rolex Sub), so I am looking for a sport chrono - 26300 in particular. I believe it has an in house movement. Putting my preference aside, there any particular color dial which is must sort after in the market?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I think I have set my heart on a chrono. I already have a sport watch with hour & minute (Rolex Sub), so I am looking for a sport chrono - 26300 in particular. I believe it has an in house movement. Putting my preference aside, there any particular color dial which is must sort after in the market?
The 26300 is the ROC (Royal Oak Chrono) it houses the Audemars Piguet Caliber 2385, based on the F. Piguet 1185. It would also be my choice for an AP Chrono.

I´m not aware if one dial color is more sought after. My personal favorite is the brown one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 26300 is the ROC (Royal Oak Chrono) it houses the Audemars Piguet Caliber 2385, based on the F. Piguet 1185. It would also be my choice for an AP Chrono.

I´m not aware if one dial color is more sought after. My personal favorite is the brown one.

Actually brown was my favorite too. I mean black, white or dark blue is qutie common in all watch but brown is quite rare.

By the way, you mention the movement is F. piquet. What is that?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Actually brown was my favorite too. I mean black, white or dark blue is qutie common in all watch but brown is quite rare.

By the way, you mention the movement is F. piquet. What is that?
F. Piguet = Frederic Piguet a company that´s part of the Swatch group. They make the base movement for the ROC. The 2385 is not an in-house movement.

You can read more about F. Piguet here: Frédéric Piguet - Swatch Group

1 - 14 of 14 Posts