WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am keen to hear any input on the broader perception of AP in the watch world.

I am a relative newbie to watches, first paying an interest at the back end of last year and subsequently purchasing a PAM 312 within days of discovering the forum - which I am very much enjoying (the watch and the forum).

Since then, despite enjoying it, I have of course started shopping around for my second piece :) once the bug is caught it is hard to shake. I don't necessarily plan to buy something immediately, but am working on my knowledge so I can make an informed decision when the time does come, or if the right watch finds me before I find it then I will know.

I have been doing a lot of reading on AP and the various reviews of the AP Royal Oak (15400 is the model that interests me) versus the PP Nautilus (5711). Without wanting to start another AP RO vs PP Nautilus thread, I was keen to understand how AP are viewed by the WIS population.

There are various articles out there with conflicting views - some view AP as a classic and being at the pinnacle (or near to it) of watch ownership, others stating that the brand has been devalued by its association with various rappers and such like for whom the ROO is a particular favourite.

I like the idea of the 15400, and when factoring in it is near enough half the price of the Nautilus it becomes a very attractive proposition indeed. The PP seems revered by WIS everywhere, but simply speaking I prefer the design of the AP at the age I am as it seems a bit more contemporary/younger, and the fact that PP is seen as a good investment has no bearing on my decision as I am buying the watch to enjoy, not to make money/not lose money.

So AP then - are there negative connotations? Are they highly revered? And how do the AP RO wearers find their watches are received in general? Many thanks :-!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
AP is a great company and there is no disrespect anywhere to be found for them with the exception of a few people who just don't get the style. HOWEVER the Royal Oak Offshore line is a monstrosity, looks like a plastic invicta in person, and lacks all class. So anything negative you hear here is likely directed squarely at the shoulders of the offshore line.

The 15400 is an amazing watch and having tried it on I can say I was blown away with it having previously not connected with the royal oak line. I would say go for it.

Also you are basically required to post a wrist shot of your Pam or at LEAST link to your thread when you bought it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
100% behind this.
AP is a great company and there is no disrespect anywhere to be found for them with the exception of a few people who just don't get the style. HOWEVER the Royal Oak Offshore line is a monstrosity, looks like a plastic invicta in person, and lacks all class. So anything negative you hear here is likely directed squarely at the shoulders of the offshore line.

The 15400 is an amazing watch and having tried it on I can say I was blown away with it having previously not connected with the royal oak line. I would say go for it.

Also you are basically required to post a wrist shot of your Pam or at LEAST link to your thread when you bought it.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Largely agree about ROOs - the chronos are butt fugly - but to my eyes, the SS Diver is a big exception.

Additionally. not a fan of AP's strategy of rolling out special editions for no apparent reason. I imagine they're trying to monetize their reputation or expand their appeal to a greater audience, but I think it cheapens their brand. I have yet to see one that I'd wear even if it was given to me. For example, we have this beauty... :rodekaarto|

Attachments

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
HOWEVER the Royal Oak Offshore line is a monstrosity, looks like a plastic invicta in person, and lacks all class. So anything negative you hear here is likely directed squarely at the shoulders of the offshore line.
Shading basketball players and rappers .. oh.gif

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Realizing that I am not really familiar with any AP other than the RO, I went to their website and looked through their current models. They have some ok looking watches, but honestly nothing that is better (visually) than what is available from competitors. Their movements are gorgeous and very well made, of course, and the cases look top notch as you would expect at that level. Their styles, however, are just...off. The RO is still the best of the bunch, which is, I suppose, why it's the one we always see around here. I'm not sure I know what defines AP, which may be part of their perception problem. I know their reputation for watchmaking, but looking at their offerings makes me wonder what they are aiming for.

·
Registered
878 Posts
AP is more than the Royal Oak.

AP has a rich history, making grand complications for the longest time. Unfortunately, they have to survive and the ROO and its limitless 'limited' editions were their way of doing so. And it's not easy to survive as an independent watch brand amidst the conglomerates.

i own a royal oak, and the finishing is excellent. To me, AP (and VC) make great quality watches at far less inflated prices than PP. The ROO 'entourage' doesn't bother me.

Reactions: Techniec and inhaus

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Both PP and AP are legendary brands. History, quality, prestige, they got it all.

I prefer the AP Royal Oak to it's competitors. It's the watch that inspired the PP Nautilus and later the stuff from Hublot.

But in terms of overall catalog, I generally prefer Patek's stuff over AP's.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

Just another +1. If you're concerned about the public's ideas on AP then you might find more negative sentiments but a WIS will find it hard to be opposed to AP as a company with their storied history, innovations and classic models. The RO (not ROO) is fantastic and a jewel of a watch as are their many dress watch offerings.

If you like the RO do it and know you have a true classic on your wrist.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wear my 15400 blue dial almost daily. It's very versatile for a sports watch. Wears easily with almost any attire.

Mine competes with a couple more expensive watches in my collection for daily use and comes out on top almost every time.

I would add that it's thin but wears big even on my 8.5" wrist. I would consider the 15300 if you don't have a large wrist.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The AP would be one of the last watches I would spend big money on. AP the brand is great, but I just can't get into the RO or its offshoots. For that matter, I cannot understand the appeal of the nautilus either. Just not for me I spose.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
AP is a brand I know I'm supposed to like, but the never ending iterations of the RO is killing it for me. The Plain Jane, non chrono, non limited edition, non offshore, non Safari, is, to me, the best of the bunch. Just my opinion, but the value of AP has been diluted to my eyes, and I don't put them in the same category as PP or VC.

·
Registered
256 Posts
AP is a brand I know I'm supposed to like, but the never ending iterations of the RO is killing it for me. The Plain Jane, non chrono, non limited edition, non offshore, non Safari, is, to me, the best of the bunch. Just my opinion, but the value of AP has been diluted to my eyes, and I don't put them in the same category as PP or VC.
Seems like Hulblot did the same thing.Came out with rainbow watches which cheapened the brand. I love the Classic Fusion...But they went the AP route and made some fugly watches. I like the plain Jane Patek Moon phase Only $236,000

5004G_013.jpg

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
I dont consider myself particularly - or even slightly - PC, but am i the only one who cringes when he hears references to the fact that being associated with rappers and basketball players (in other words, to cut through the dancing-around-things and to umm, call a spade a spade - black people) somehow cheapens a brand?

Not liking it b/c it is too bling - that's fine. I dont like too much bling either.

But the brand being cheapened b/c black people are wearing it (which is really what this statement boils down to)? I know that is not a conscious act on the part of most people, but the casually implied bigotry in this sort of thinking horrifies me.

Right on par with "hooded sweatshirts are for gangsters", this.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
AP 15400 is awesome. And IMO the best in their catalog. I'd go for it. Its looks are impeccable. Only bad thing I've heard is scratches show up easily and AP's service dept can be exborbitant.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
I dont consider myself particularly - or even slightly - PC, but am i the only one who cringes when he hears references to the fact that being associated with rappers and basketball players (in other words, to cut through the dancing-around-things and to umm, call a spade a spade - black people) somehow cheapens a brand?

Not liking it b/c it is too bling - that's fine. I dont like too much bling either.

But the brand being cheapened b/c black people are wearing it (which is really what this statement boils down to)? I know that is not a conscious act on the part of most people, but the casually implied bigotry in this sort of thinking horrifies me.

Yikes! Not how I read the post at all, but I can see where you're coming from. I read it to mean that the RO was becoming synonymous with flashy conspicuous consumption, a/k/a bling. Much like the often posted photo of Bieber sporting a gold Daytona on most anti Rolex threads.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts

Or cheaters.

NY-BL418_sprt_c_DV_20120201223657.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
The AP would be one of the last watches I would spend big money on. AP the brand is great, but I just can't get into the RO or its offshoots. For that matter, I cannot understand the appeal of the nautilus either. Just not for me I spose.
Your wallet thanks you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts