7,777 Posts
Today at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference
Apple announced watchOS 3.

Apple says the new release of the OS is about seven times
faster than the previous release. Apps are stored locally for
a fast launch.

Thanks,
rationaltime
Can the current AW run with WATCH OS 3 and have the apps on the watch, not the IPhone?

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,779 Posts
Can the current AW run with WATCH OS 3 and have the apps on the watch, not the IPhone?
Yup.

WatchOS 2 already runs apps natively on the watch, too.

There are a bunch of added features, but what counts for launch speed is keeping your frequently-used apps (or "favorite" apps, as they described them) in memory with regular background updates.

I'm pretty sure most of Apple's stock apps have had this ability already, most noticeably the Weather app. They're expanding the permissions to include third-party apps.

I'll bet priority will be given to the apps you load as complications. We'll find out more as people dig into the developer preview software.

·
Registered
23,779 Posts
Apple's document today summarizing what's new in watchOS 3.0:
https://developer.apple.com/library...eral/WhatsNewInwatchOS/Articles/watchOS3.html

Worth reading if you have even a passing interest in how the OS works with third-party apps.

Remember what I said about apps being loaded as complications: (bold emphasis mine)

Complications are small visual elements that appear directly on the watch face. In watchOS 3, creating one or more complications gives your app the opportunity to provide vital pieces of information to users whenever they glance at the watch face. There are several reasons why you should take advantage of the enhanced complications APIs in watchOS 3:

• Users can launch your app simply by tapping one of your complications.
  • The presence of a complication on the watch face tells the system to keep the associated app in a ready-to-launch state. That is, the system attempts to launch your app in the background, keep it in memory, and give it additional time to update.
  • A complication is guaranteed to receive 50 push updates per day.
  • (continued)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Very excited by the updates, and reports of beta users have confirmed that the quicker performance (app load times, general responsiveness, etc) seems to be true. Looking forward to GR in the fall!

·
Registered
23,779 Posts
3.0 will be pushed to all watches in the fall?
Yup. It's currently in a publicly-available developer beta right now. App developers can now work on making their AW apps compatible with the new OS, taking advantage of the new features and frameworks.

The WWDC schedule has been fleshed out since I last posted the link.
https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/schedule/#/

You can watch many of the presentations here:
https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc2016/

and live streaming here:
https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/live/#/

·
Registered
23,779 Posts
Any clues as to whether AW 2 has cellular support?
No clue. None I've heard about, anyway.

The rebranding of OS X to macOS was discovered early by people digging into prerelease code and some rare slip-ups in Apple documentation. Serious geeks also sometimes discover new Apple hardware signatures in Internet traffic (say, requests from new web browsers to their websites). But, I haven't heard of anything similar to indicate a cellular AW.

·
Registered
Oris ProPilot Big Date, Yellow Prometheus Piranha, Seiko Samurai Orange & Save the Ocean,  Series 6
231 Posts
Any idea on when the release date is yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts