WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much are you getting out of your Apple watch, i am thinking one could last 2 days on a full charge is that about right? :-!

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,793 Posts
Depends on usage, and especially depends on whether the phone is nearby. Without the phone, an LTE-equipped AW will run its LTE radio, which is probably the biggest battery drain after the heart rate LEDs.

My S4 lasted a good 24-ish hours, dusk-to-dusk, when I purposely left my phone at home during the daytime. With my phone to do the LTE duties, though, the AW is good for a couple days. And in Airplane Mode, it can run for about a week.

·
Premium Member
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, i am getting in excess of 24 hours , is that good?

Depends on usage, and especially depends on whether the phone is nearby. Without the phone, an LTE-equipped AW will run its LTE radio, which is probably the biggest battery drain after the heart rate LEDs.

My S4 lasted a good 24-ish hours, dusk-to-dusk, when I purposely left my phone at home during the daytime. With my phone to do the LTE duties, though, the AW is good for a couple days. And in Airplane Mode, it can run for about a week.

·
Premium Member
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What functions does Airplane mode disable if turned off?

·
Premium Member
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, does the Airplane mode render the temperature useless and also will the Clock stay correct like will it still be the right date and time after 24 hours?

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
Also, does the Airplane mode render the temperature useless and also will the Clock stay correct like will it still be the right date and time after 24 hours?
I tested mine in Airplane Mode for close to a month to see how accurate its onboard clock really is (it ran about -0.1 sec/week). I also detailed in another thread what worked and what didn’t.

To sum up:
- Timekeeping is fantastic. It’s a thermocompensated, HAQ-quality circuit that doesn’t require connecting to Apple’s time servers to keep good time. That said, you can’t manually change the time, like if you travel, unless you also sync it with your phone. A workaround would be to preload alternate time zones to use as complications.

- Apps that are just extensions of phone apps wont do s...t. They’ll simply fail to load.

- Apps that are fully native (reside on the watch) are equally, or less, capable depending on whether they need external data. I have a couple games that work fine in Airplane Mode, but other apps, like RadarScope, obviously require fresh data.

- The Weather complications periodically auto-load data for the next 24 hours. This means that, after a day in Airplane Mode, you won’t have any more temperature to display, nor anything else weather related.

- Exercise and Health data are stored on the watch and will load onto your phone when you eventually reconnect later. I don’t know if there’s a cap on how much exercise data it will hold, but it’s probably a lot since the data itself is pretty lightweight.

Overall, it’s not really worth using Airplane Mode unless you’re either on an airplane or you don’t want anyone to call or text you. The intent of a smartwatch is to give you discreet notifications and little parcels of data, right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I estimate a year in airplane mode, and your watch might gain or lose a few seconds a year.
A Year??!!?? That seems pretty far out there (for series 3) with all due respect. If I turn the series 3 OFF it might hold charge for 3 months. My Original AW Sapphire might last 3 weeks powered OFF. On in airplane mode seems likely to drain it faster than off.

Regular use about 18 to 60 hours... usually in the 40-50 range.

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
A Year??!!?? That seems pretty far out there (for series 3) with all due respect. If I turn the series 3 OFF it might hold charge for 3 months. My Original AW Sapphire might last 3 weeks powered OFF. On in airplane mode seems likely to drain it faster than off.

No, he meant if you kept using it in Airplane Mode for a year -- while recharging as usual -- its accuracy, unaided by the usual syncing with Apple's time servers, might only be a few seconds off.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,777 Posts

Of course it is on the charger all of that time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh You meant the time accuracy not connecting to the time server, not the power reserve (thread topic). In that context your comment makes sense.

Reactions: ronalddheld
1 - 14 of 14 Posts