WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I'm an Apple consultant here in NYC. My company provides support and consulting services to businesses using Apple technology including iOS, MacOS and all Apple hardware. As a watch guy, naturally I jumped on the Apple watch when it was announced and have owned all the versions since.

If there are any forum members who need help or have any questions about their Apple watch, please post in this forum and I'd be more than happy to offer whatever assistance I can.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,130 Posts
Cool, info straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.

I can slow down on my daily dose of macsurfer.com and the Apple support pages. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I know I'm hoping for is customized faces. Not sure why Apple is locking that down. Even if you don't want to give people the opportunity to customize their own, at least let developers create some and offer them in the app store. It reminds me of the early days of the iPhone when Apple had the whole phone locked down with only their own apps. Luckily they came to their senses and allowed developers to create apps which enabled the App Store.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think it is a matter of cost and priorities for Apple. Opening a Watch Face Store would need policing in the same way the App Store is. For Apple this means diverting resources and focus from other developments of the watch. I also think Apple is trying to educate people to use the device as a communication and health assistant rather than a simple watch, so the emphasis on watch faces are on function.
But I would definitely want to see more faces and 3rd party.

One thing I know I'm hoping for is customized faces. Not sure why Apple is locking that down. Even if you don't want to give people the opportunity to customize their own, at least let developers create some and offer them in the app store. It reminds me of the early days of the iPhone when Apple had the whole phone locked down with only their own apps. Luckily they came to their senses and allowed developers to create apps which enabled the App Store.

·
Registered
24,130 Posts
I’d rather not see the AW cheapened with more Rolex and Cartier knockoff faces like Android Wear has always been.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apple would never allow that. It would be trademark infringement. What I mean is a curated, monitored section of the app store for watch faces. It seems like a no-brainer. Would make the watch more useful, more fun and more personal.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Welcome Tony and thanks for posting. On a side note 4.3 seems to have restored my faith in my S1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
813 Posts
That won't happen as Apple is very vocal about copyright infringement. This is why a hypothetical watch face store would require too much policing and the reason why it may not happen soon.

I’d rather not see the AW cheapened with more Rolex and Cartier knockoff faces like Android Wear has always been.

·
Registered
24,130 Posts
That won't happen as Apple is very vocal about copyright infringement. This is why a hypothetical watch face store would require too much policing and the reason why it may not happen soon.
Apple has also added a rule that if an app gets updated, it needs to get re-submitted for review. This is intended to prevent a developer from first deploying a properly-functioning app that passes requirements for things like data privacy and not using unsupported APIs, then later adding malicious data-harvesting functions and whatnot that would have otherwise failed Apple's requirements.

Relating this to watch faces, I'd imagine that a watch face developer would submit some perfectly fine and completely original faces, then later try to add some copyright-infringing versions to try to get more downloads (because, let's be honest, many consumers are cheap, shallow, and unoriginal).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts