WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm still on my iPhone 5S, which is pushing three years old. It runs fine (iOS 9.3.1 is just as quick as the original OS it shipped with), but it needs a fresh battery.
No way, my iPhone 5S was noticeably slower after I got iOS 8.3 (damn Apple Music). So much so that I upgraded to a 6S Plus.

But I suppose it's a matter of usage and expectations. I hate lag anywhere since I use the phone so much.

Likewise, watchOS 2 really slowed down the AW. Feels like I'm using an iPad 2 (no, not iPad Air 2, but the 2nd gen iPad from 2011) with iOS 9. Horribly slow. But I suppose this is the price of going with a first gen product. Oh well.

</end rant>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
My ETA powered SANDOZ had lived with me from the day i bought, till today... 20yrs and still rockin!!!
I'll bet my Motorola StarTAC from the 90s still works. I'm sure I can charge it up and make calls. Not bad for a 20 year old phone.

Then again, it pales in comparison with my iPhone in terms of what I can do.

Same comparison applies for smart watches and traditional watches.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,356 Posts
This is the same as for cell phones. Until technical progress is much slower than today, you need to upgrade every year or to to get the full functionality of the devices.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Also, people don’t upgrade because their products are useless, they upgrade because they want new features. My dad’s still using an iPhone 4S—his needs are simple so he’s happy with it, and the phone still works.

Upgrading is expensive, but not upgrading means missing out on new features. For most people, around three years is a good compromise. Smartwatches, like other computers, will follow the same pattern. If you don’t upgrade your computer, and tablet, and smartphone frequently, then you also prolly won’t upgrade your smartwatch too frequently.

“Investing”? If you’re buying a smartwatch as an “investment,” you’re barking up the wrong tree. People don’t buy electronics for investments, they buy them for convenience and productivity.

My watch does a lot of things. If I keep my watch for 3 years and it costed me $400, that’s $2.74 per day. That’s cheaper than a coffee at Starbucks—which I use my watch to pay for.

Heck, even for complications alone—day/date; sunrise/sunset; time zones; moon phase; and, to get really fancy, planetarium—even if I buy a new AW Sport every two years for the rest of my life, that’ll still cost me less than a mechanical watch with all of those complications. Some people want to buy a watch as an investment; some people want to buy a watch they will use.
Agreed, though it's actually $0.365 a day ($400 over 3 years). Boosts your argument even further though.

In comparison, my GS cost $2.5k, and assuming 2 services ($500 each time) to get me to 20 years of use (and assuming $500 residual value at the end of 20 years), would work out to be $0.411/day.

Then again, my GS only tells me the time and date. But it does look so much better :)

The solution? Wear one on each wrist

·
Registered
733 Posts
Agreed, though it's actually $0.365 a day ($400 over 3 years). Boosts your argument even further though.
Serves me right for doing math after my shot of whisky night cap.

In comparison, my GS cost $2.5k, and assuming 2 services ($500 each time) to get me to 20 years of use (and assuming $500 residual value at the end of 20 years), would work out to be $0.411/day.

Then again, my GS only tells me the time and date. But it does look so much better :)

The solution? Wear one on each wrist
I have a Timex Easy Reader (T20041) that I think looks much better than my Apple Watch. It’s a bit small at 35mm, but some of the other Easy Readers got a size boost to 38mm and I hope in the next few years, this model too will get that boost. At $30 for a few years, that works out to 3¢/day—vs. the AW’s 37¢/day—and if all I needed was a good looking watch and the date and time, then clearly the Timex would be all I need to be content.

But last night, I went out drinking and my breathalyzer has a watch app. Not having to pull out my phone when I’m drunk and surrounded by drunk people? How expensive does a traditional watch have to be before it can do that?

As for wearing one watch on each wrist? Sometimes redundancy is good—multiple copies of data are a lifesaver! Sometimes redundancy is, well, redundant—and I think wearing two watches falls into this category. But, when I know my car will be parked in a garage instead of a lot, I’ll keep a spare watch in there, just in case.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Meanwhile I love my AW, actually wearing it right now in a business trip - the stainless model on leather looks perfectly acceptable on a suit, whatever WIS think.
The one thing I notice is that I use the standard functionality, but I don't particularly care for the 3rd party apps so far. I hope that the base functionality stays compatible for several years to come.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
I'm typing this post using a 4 yo HTC smartphone. It's on the second battery and still runs strong.

I think if you can replace your AW battery you could easily double its lifespan.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The worst thing about Apple products and i own all of them well except the latest mini wrist phone is the fact that you could never replace the battery giving them a limited life span. Not the best thing for customers but a great thing for Apple sales and as nowadays i tend to either be wearing my Vector or Pebble smart watch i have to have bluetooth turn on 24/7 so an even greater battery drainage.

Peter

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,356 Posts
The worst thing about Apple products and i own all of them well except the latest mini wrist phone is the fact that you could never replace the battery giving them a limited life span. Not the best thing for customers but a great thing for Apple sales and as nowadays i tend to either be wearing my Vector or Pebble smart watch i have to have bluetooth turn on 24/7 so an even greater battery drainage.

Peter
Can't Apple replace a dead battery for a fee?

·
Registered
733 Posts

Peter
Can't Apple replace a dead battery for a fee?
Yup.

And don't mind that guy. He's fulfilling his weekly quota for anti-Apple posts.
And he has a very very high quota for anti-Apple posts.

(He doesn’t seem to understand that being that Seiko user who rants and rants and rants and rants and rants against Rolex—in the Rolex forum—makes him that guy. But whatev.)

·
Registered
17,878 Posts

(He doesn’t seem to understand that being that Seiko user who rants and rants and rants and rants and rants against Rolex—in the Rolex forum—makes him that guy. But whatev.)
Makes me wonder if Samsung pays him per post.

(not unheard of, either)

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,356 Posts
Anyone know the cost of an AW battery replacement? More likely than not I would upgrade to a new watch before a battery is fully dead.

·
Registered
17,878 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Anti Apple not me
I own a Macbook, iPad, iPad mini, Apple TV 2, iPhone 5s and time capsule and hoping that this September when they release the iPhone 7 it will be a better size then the 6 so i can upgrade my phone.

"Makes me wonder if Samsung pays him per post."
Oh and i do not own anything made by Samsung not that they are a bad company just not my choice

·
Banned
138 Posts
The type of person who buys that sort of watch will have ditched it by then as they will have a new model to wear then and it will be technically outdated, so it wont be very smart any more either, the reality is that these are throw away disposable items, just like mobile phones.
I agree with you buddy.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
No s---. Really?
A mobile computing device running on a small lithium ion battery, like smartphones, will not be useful after three years of daily use?
Really?
Shocking.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts