WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in seeing reports about the Apple Watch 2 GPS operation.

Are there user accessible GPS pages or apps?

Are you able to display latitude/longitude/altitude and GPS time?

Is there a GPS status page?
GPS_app_snapshot_150.jpg

How often is the position updated? Can the watch track your position
on the Interstate? Well, like in west Texas, not in Houston.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,793 Posts
What do you mean by "GPS apps"? What do you want to do?

Apple's Maps app can show you where you are and help search for points of interest, and can do it all via the watch. I've got a weather radar app that will pick the radar nearest your current position. Apple's Workout app also gives you a map of your workout as long as you choose one of the outdoor categories (outdoor walk, outdoor run, outdoor cycle, and one of the Series 2's swim workouts).

For now, most of these require an iPhone for the data connection to see map data (and weather radar, etc). The Series 2's onboard GPS allows it to record its position without the phone (Series 1 and original models won't record workout maps without the phone), but you're not going to be able to use it for directions without the phone, either. Mobile data is still battery-hungry and best done via the phone.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked about the user accessing the GPS information. Can you do that?

You mention recording position. Can you command the watch to save
waypoints? What is the resolution?

I wasn't looking for moving maps. However, A USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle
topo map file is about 30 MB. One minute of latitude is about 1 nautical mile.
With 8 GB on board memory in principle an Apple Watch 2 could store enough
map information to show your outdoor run or walk without accessing the
network. Why shouldn't there be a moving map display without active phone
support? Does the Apple watch provide that?

Those kinds of GPS apps.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,793 Posts
Ah, like preloaded, onboard maps?

Nobody does that anymore, not for mobile phones and whatnot. What most people use maps for these days is navigation, POI search, directions, and traffic.

Most of these tasks can't be done with preloaded maps. Traffic conditions, updated search results, emergency notifications (such as an accident shutting down part of your planned route), etc, all require a data connection.

All that being said…

I have one app for my phone that allows you to preload an entire region. Its intent is to be used by travelers who don't want to pay exorbitant data roaming fees. It works just like an old Garmin or TomTom -- gets the GPS fix from your phone and puts you on the map.

I haven't had the app on my phone in a long time because of how much space the data files take up. I don't even remember offhand what its name is. Maybe -- maybe -- they could write an AW app that'll run the whole thing natively on the watch itself.

Recording waypoints and resolution -- you can use an app called Anchor to mark where you parked your car, as an example. Must be pretty good resolution.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That's what kept me from purchasing the Series 2 as the built-in GPS does not work the way I intended to, as BarracksSi stated in post #3 which is spot on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts