WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
There are rumors of new apps need to run natively on watch 2 and cellular capabilities. What do people think about that?
Not a rumor, but a fact (for once).
As the AW has only 8GB of space and as I have bad memories of an 8GB iPhone . . . goodbye music and photos on my watch!

I kid. I have only a few photos on my watch and I use only streaming music services—and I’m very selective about which apps I put on my watch. But I look forward to faster apps.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
Adding a link to Apple's requirement for AW apps to be native after June 1:
https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=04222016a

(didn't want this to get stuck at the bottom of the previous page)

There's a big difference between facts and "rumor" nonsense. There are "rumors" about the AW 2, iPhone 7, etc. Those are the stories that aren't even worth your mouse click. When the word comes straight from Apple, you can take it as fact.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you look at the teardowns of the AW, where would you put a cellular antenna? How much larger than 38mm does the AW need to be to accommodate a cellular antenna?

Also, you put a cellular antenna in there, that’s one more phone number to deal with. Try explaining that to non-techies.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,353 Posts
If you look at the teardowns of the AW, where would you put a cellular antenna? How much larger than 38mm does the AW need to be to accommodate a cellular antenna?

Also, you put a cellular antenna in there, that’s one more phone number to deal with. Try explaining that to non-techies.
Cellular capacity would free one from carrying the phone around when inconvenient.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

Certainly there are technical challenges to placing a cellular antenna in the AW.

But look at the potential upsides. For the AW to be truly standalone, a cellular connection would really help, along with zippy general performance.

I wonder if it would ever be possible for the AW to "share" the same phone number as your iPhone. The AW would get access to the Internet, and if someone called you, both the AW and your iPhone would ring.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,353 Posts
So you're saying no, you would not buy a cellular-capable AW if you didn't have an iPhone to manage it. Right?

If so, that makes two of us, at least.
Anyone else? Maybe want it both ways, able to run apps from the watch standalone and managed the apps from the IPhone?

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
There are native apps for the AW already. Been that way since watchOS 2 came out. I've got a couple games which have iPhone apps only for the sake of installation onto the AW; the iPhone apps don't do anything on their own.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,353 Posts
There are native apps for the AW already. Been that way since watchOS 2 came out. I've got a couple games which have iPhone apps only for the sake of installation onto the AW; the iPhone apps don't do anything on their own.
Good to hear live experiences. Hopefully we will at least know specs by. WWDC.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You guys have me curious now. I wonder if bands will be interchangeable ... I'm still tempted to try one of the woven nylons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I like the way you think, how can i get my steel AW gold plated?
Where are you located? Here in Brighton, my local jeweller is willing to do it for £160. Otherwise, there are a few people on eBay who will do it for £80-£200 depending on the thickness required. You will have to post your watch to them. Hope this helps :)

21 - 40 of 238 Posts