WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Great article. He describes the exact scenario I was expecting to happen with many people that previously weren't watch wearers. It's funny that he also wrote an earlier article saying that the Apple Watch would kill the traditional "dumb" watch, but now has completely reversed his opinion.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Marco participates in several great podcasts as well.

From Wikipedia:
"Between November 2010 and December 2012, Arment hosted a podcast, Build and Analyze, with Dan Benjamin on 5by5 Studios. More recently, he has hosted two podcasts, Neutral and Accidental Tech Podcast, with John Siracusa and Casey Liss. He also hosts Top Four[9] with his wife Tiffany Arment and Under the Radar[10] with David Smith, both on Relay FM."

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
When I first started wearing my steel Apple Watch with the black leather strap, I kept looking at my wrist and thinking, “Damn, that looks nice.”

This was the beginning of the end.

Nobody ever wears one watch, thinks “Damn, that looks nice”, and never wants another watch again.

I was starting to understand fashion. This was going to be bad.
Sounds like the attractiveness of the Watch hardware was the trigger.

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
Going the other way -- while wearing my Rado the other day left me missing the extra functions of my AW, it also made me want to replace the AW's sport strap (comfy as it is) with a good bracelet.

I'll make the switch later this year. I miss the extra zing and the ease of wearing a watch on a bracelet.

·
Registered
733 Posts
https://marco.org/2016/02/05/watch

...and it looks like Nomos is the beneficiary.
To be great, the Apple Watch needs to be rethought to do less, better. I see no signs that Apple is heading in this direction, but never say never.
This is actually a refreshing piece of criticism. Every time I see someone criticize the AW with, “It doesn’t replace my iPhone,” I’m like, “Duh. It’s not an iPhone, it’s a watch.”

Simpler is better. At the very least, let people hide the apps they don’t want to use so that they’re not bombarded with APPS! APPS! APPS! My parents could use smartwatches—especially the heart rate monitoring, and a pill reminder app, and etc—but they also don’t like date complications on their watches. If people like my parents are going to move to smartwatches, there can’t be that wall of apps.

Oh yeah, and put more thought to the clock app—especially more dials and color customization.

Sounds like the attractiveness of the Watch hardware was the trigger.
I’ve been saying all along the AW isn’t pretty so I have to tilt my head that Marco was captivated by the AW’s aesthetics. But I admit, the hardware is very well made and I envy the celebs who got the solid gold bracelet.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Great article. He describes the exact scenario I was expecting to happen with many people that previously weren't watch wearers. It's funny that he also wrote an earlier article saying that the Apple Watch would kill the traditional "dumb" watch.
Yep, that is how i feel about smartwatches in general.

in addition, Casey Neistat popular filmmaker / Youtuber, is a hardcore apple geek (he made a couple videos for that), and sure enough he was the first one to get an apple watch, which was a watch of preference for some time, after the novelty wore off he switched to two watch system (one on each wrist), in recent videos however he is only seen in his Rolex exclusively.
AW is just a throwaway gadget, whereas the watches (especially mechanicals) will easily outlive me and couple of generations after :)

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Interesting story. However if such a revalation happened to more than a single blog writer then Apple, Samsung, etc., would not continue to sell record numbers of wrist borne communications devices that also tell time. A trend it ain't.
That's not necessarily true. Those companies could easily be selling plenty of smartwatches to people who otherwise wouldn't wear a watch, and even if a significant proportion of those people later decide they want a mechanical watch, it won't cause the smartwatch sector to stop growing. Bringing back the habit of wearing watches can benefit both the gadget-makers and the traditional watch industry. It's not either-or.

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
This is actually a refreshing piece of criticism. Every time I see someone criticize the AW with, “It doesn’t replace my iPhone,” I’m like, “Duh. It’s not an iPhone, it’s a watch.”

Simpler is better. At the very least, let people hide the apps they don’t want to use so that they’re not bombarded with APPS! APPS! APPS!
At least the AW's default screen is just the watch face, which looks pretty simple even with a few complications added. The Wall O' Apps is difficult to avoid, but fortunately, it's not what's presented with each raise of the wrist.

The gadget fans who become disappointed, probably like Marco here, tend to want the AW to replace their phone. I'm not disappointed in mine because I only expect it to be A Watch first, plus it has some extra tricks.

Apple calls it simply "Apple Watch", after all, not "iCommunicator" or another similarly kludgy term.

I’ve been saying all along the AW isn’t pretty so I have to tilt my head that Marco was captivated by the AW’s aesthetics. But I admit, the hardware is very well made and I envy the celebs who got the solid gold bracelet.
Among smartwatches, I still think the AW is the most versatile, most reasonably-sized, and most attractive. It's no Eichi II (but what else is?) but it can still look pretty darned nice.

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
That's not necessarily true. Those companies could easily be selling plenty of smartwatches to people who otherwise wouldn't wear a watch, and even if a significant proportion of those people later decide they want a mechanical watch, it won't cause the smartwatch sector to stop growing. Bringing back the habit of wearing watches can benefit both the gadget-makers and the traditional watch industry. It's not either-or.
Yup. Remember when many people stopped wearing watches because the only thing they did was tell time?

·
Premium Member
8,892 Posts
Interesting story. However if such a revalation happened to more than a single blog writer then Apple, Samsung, etc., would not continue to sell record numbers of wrist borne communications devices that also tell time. A trend it ain't.

Quest
ionable. I think smartwatches are very similar to non-phone tablets, be they Nexus 7 or 9 or iPod Touch. (But NOT necessarily Surface; these aren't entirely tablets, but ultralight portable PCs.) Tablets sold fairly well for a few years; there was a stream of devices from several companies. In the last couple of years, tho, tablet sales have dropped. Model development was almost non-existent in 2015...Apple and Samsung, yes, and Surface...but Surface still has low market share. However, that might be hardware related...Qualcomm's problems with the 810. There are quite a few new tablets, looks like, for 2016.

But an argument made for the slower sales was, the tablet is not essential. The smart phone is essential, for most of us, and it handles our daily tasks just fine. The tablet's not essential, and its sheer size...its advantage...makes it cumbersome. The smart watch has the same issues, in reverse. It's not essential. It's not capable *enough*.

So I think it would be interesting to poll smartwatch owners to get their mid- and long-term evaluations: given their experiences over the last X months, would they buy the watch again?

In one sense, the genie is out of the bottle. Smartwatches are here to stay; IMO that's certain. Their long-term impact is less clear. I'll grant that they'll get more capable, but there are inherent limits based on the form factor and control options.

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,913 Posts
Folks, the wrist borne communication device, aka smart watch is at an early stage of development. It appeals to and is being bought by early adopters not curmudgeons like me who wait for the latest toy to be more fully developed before buying. The best is yet to come because the devices will get much better and more useable. Think back to what happened to the pc, cell phone and flat screen tv over their growth cycles. It's unfortunate the device is sold as a watch because it does so much more than 3 hand time keeping. Calling it a watch made it much easier to market to non watch collectors. The name ends up confusing some traditionalist watch collectors because they expect it to behave like a watch. It ain't never gonna be a watch.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
I'm afraid that all those Apple watch wearers will end up buying a Rolex.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Folks, the wrist borne communication device, aka smart watch is at an early stage of development. It appeals to and is being bought by early adopters not curmudgeons like me who wait for the latest toy to be more fully developed before buying. The best is yet to come because the devices will get much better and more useable. Think back to what happened to the pc, cell phone and flat screen tv over their growth cycles. It's unfortunate the device is sold as a watch because it does so much more than 3 hand time keeping. Calling it a watch made it much easier to market to non watch collectors. The name ends up confusing some traditionalist watch collectors because they expect it to behave like a watch. It ain't never gonna be a watch.
I agree that they're going to get a lot better for sure. But as someone who unlike you, is an early adopter because I just love getting new toys, I'm more into something that is shaped a little less like a watch so that it can go on my right wrist and not look as much like I'm wearing two watches. I'm currently wearing a Black Bay red on my left wrist and a Microsoft band 2 on the right.

Not to derail an Apple thread because I do like Apple (typing this on a macbook pro) but the Microsoft band 2 is pretty great. Has built in gps and heart rate monitor for running, gets email and texts, can get apps and control music on my phone, all in a thinner band that doesn't look like it's trying to be a watch. I bought it a few months ago, the first day it was for sale in Canada, and I really love it, but only because it doesn't compete with my real watches. I would drop it in an instant if for some reason it was either the band or my Explorer II.

And eventually there won't be any need to have an external device anyways, because any device we need will be able to be directly input into our brains so let's all just enjoy the ride for now :-!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Yep, that is how i feel about smartwatches in general.

in addition, Casey Neistat popular filmmaker / Youtuber, is a hardcore apple geek (he made a couple videos for that), and sure enough he was the first one to get an apple watch, which was a watch of preference for some time, after the novelty wore off he switched to two watch system (one on each wrist), in recent videos however he is only seen in his Rolex exclusively.
AW is just a throwaway gadget, whereas the watches (especially mechanicals) will easily outlive me and couple of generations after :)
Didn't he get a free custom strap from rolex? Maybe getting an endorsement deal to do so?

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
At least the AW's default screen is just the watch face, which looks pretty simple even with a few complications added. The Wall O' Apps is difficult to avoid, but fortunately, it's not what's presented with each raise of the wrist.

The gadget fans who become disappointed, probably like Marco here, tend to want the AW to replace their phone. I'm not disappointed in mine because I only expect it to be A Watch first, plus it has some extra tricks.

Apple calls it simply "Apple Watch", after all, not "iCommunicator" or another similarly kludgy term.

Among smartwatches, I still think the AW is the most versatile, most reasonably-sized, and most attractive. It's no Eichi II (but what else is?) but it can still look pretty darned nice.
"iwatch" was taken

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was re-reading this article and I noticed this:

it gets you hooked on having the time always shown on your wrist,
When the AW first came out, I threw out a lot of reviews—people who didn’t have any idea for technology and people who didn’t any clue for watches. I tuned out Marco when he used the term “dumb watches.” I envy his new watch collection, but I still think he doesn’t gets how watch users—people who don’t wear watches exclusively as jewelry but actually want bits of information from their watches—approach smartwatches.

Anyways.

I don’t look at it as gadget geek vs. non gadget geek. Seeing people here talk about wanting smartphone replacements . . . that are implantable! And it’s a very binary way of looking at wearable computing when only an implantable smartphone replacement can replace a mechanical watch and nothing in between will ever be “good enough” whatever good enough means.

I look at it more as high expectations vs. realistic expectations. That said—

Gadget geeks want smartphone replacements because that’s what they’re used to. Whereas mechanical watch users talk about smartphone replacements that are implanted because if the standards are impossibly high and will never be met, then what’s the fuss? However, the average person on the street just wants to answer the question, “Does the benefit of wearing this on my wrist outweigh the hassles put up with and the money spent?” Individual people have individual responses to this question, what?

·
Registered
266 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if this is what happens.... People will eventually tire of all of these cheap consumer electronics that they are strapping onto their wrists and will crave something of actual quality...

I suppose it doesn't really matter, but no less, interesting to read at least one anecdote that backs up our WIS theories...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts