WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if this exists - I love the Apple link bracelet - the no-tools-required removable links, butterfly clasp, and the general aesthetics are spot on IMO. Does anyone know if there's a company that makes a similar version (specifically with the no-tools-required removable links) for regular watches?

·
7,403 Posts
I'm going to guess there is a nice big patent on this technology. I'm also guessing Apple wants to make sure that if you want the tech, you have to get it on their watch to enjoy it. They defend these patents aggressively, so I'm thinking we wouldn't get this on regular watches for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kind of what I was afraid of. I completely understand why Apple (rightfully so) puts so much effort into defending their patents, but that doesn't mean I don't still want their link bracelet in 20 or 22mm for some other watches :)

·
7,403 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when they had first demonstrated it. First thought was, "why has nobody thought of that?" 2nd was hoping this would come over to regular watches.

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
What concerns me about Apple's quick-change links is their limited range of motion. I don't own one (yet), but whenever I handle one, I feel like it would bend and break if it got folded. Every other watch bracelet I know of (well, besides Twist-O-Flex) has mechanically simple links which act like hinges, but the AW's links are like metal tabs. You'd never be able to store it any other way except laid out flat or, when attached to the watch, in a round shape.

Even though I really like the easy tool-less removal of Apple's links, I feel more confident about the long-term durability of traditional bracelets. I'm still on the fence about whether I should get one.

·
7,403 Posts
You are correct, these are not meant to fold flat like our typical bracelet links. If you have a watch box with the pillows, it will sit fine, or you lay it on its side. That's why I love the Apple charger. You can lift the puck to the side, it works great for night mode. My Movado has a similar style bracelet. I wouldn't decide not to get it because of that though, it's a great option not to mention very comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: BarracksSi

·
7,403 Posts
Yup, if I get the Apple bracelet, I'll also get Apple's UFO-shaped pillow charger.
By the way, check out eBay when you do decide to get the bracelet. Great deals can be found on authentics.

Reactions: BarracksSi

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yup, if I get the Apple bracelet, I'll also get Apple's UFO-shaped pillow charger.
Initially I also wanted to get that, but it's quite expensive so settled for a simple Spigen S350.

·
7,403 Posts
I had been looking at the S350, I didn't like that the bracelet would be kind of dangling behind it. The things that sold me on the Apple charger is the 2 position puck, I didn't have to use the puck that came with the watch, I could keep that in the bag if I need it, the Apple charger uses a lightning port, the whole piece is a stand alone charger.

That's the only thing about the bracelet, unlike every other strap, you are kind of limited on your charging options.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I had been looking at the S350, I didn't like that the bracelet would be kind of dangling behind it. The things that sold me on the Apple charger is the 2 position puck, I didn't have to use the puck that came with the watch, I could keep that in the bag if I need it, the Apple charger uses a lightning port, the whole piece is a stand alone charger.

That's the only thing about the bracelet, unlike every other strap, you are kind of limited on your charging options.

Actually I prefer it being charged in the nightstand mode as I usually charge it only at home and when abroad, acts as my alarm clock. Yeah the Apple one is great but the price difference is quite a lot too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts