WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my SS Apple Watch for almost exactly 48 hours as of this writing. What were YOUR first impressions?

Let's get to it:

It's not as convenient to read as my regular watches, namely my Citizen and Seiko 009, early in the morning. I've taken to wearing a watch with good lume into bed so I can see what time it is between alarms from my phone. The Apple Watch is on the charger, of course.

The AW is also impossible for me to read if I have to carry my coffee in my left hand. Only my G-Shock, even with its automatic turn-to-activate backlight, is similarly difficult during my predawn walking commute.

I got to answer a couple texts via the Watch while walking in this morning, which was pretty awesome. I can imagine doing this often. I used a canned "OK" response and dictated another, and it worked well.

Somehow, though, I missed my wife's text asking if I could pick up some bread on the way home. I've said before that this would be a perfect AW scenario, but I missed this first opportunity. Not sure yet if it was user error or an app problem.

Dictation can be rough in a noisy downtown environment. Between work trucks, buses, and a demolition site, I couldn't be bothered to try saying anything to the Watch.

Apple Pay is awesome. I have a 5S, so I never got to try it until yesterday.

The Taptic Engine is the bee's knees.

I had the Watch give me directions while driving and while walking. How it taps for direction changes is cool: tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap for right turn, tap-tap..tap-tap..tap-tap for left. It also nudges gently when I should just go straight/not take an exit. Now that I think about it, this is how my wife and I communicate while we're walking and holding hands; changing direction or stepping off for a green light, we tap each other with our fingers. It's kinda weird that they've made the Watch also do this… but somehow natural and cool.

Third-party app writers are confused. Give them a year or two to figure out the best use for a Watch app, or if they should bother building one. I let mine configure itself with every compatible app, tried them all out, then uninstalled half of them. I had several camera apps, for example, then removed them because the native Apple camera remote was smoother, cleaner, and launched the iPhone camera from the Watch; the others required me (for now) to go to the phone and launch their parent apps.

News apps are hit-or-miss. Right now, I'm keeping the AP and NYT apps, and uninstalled the Washington Post and Flipboard apps. Look for your preferred balance between short headlines and just enough reading material. Hopefully, local news outlets are paying attention and will write their own AW apps.

The music controller is slick. We were having dessert, and I made my iPhone magically start playing. I'll set it up with our Apple TV later.

The Activity app, as I see it, is just a starter fitness app. I added (but haven't yet used) a couple 7-minute workout apps, and I've also got the Under Armour Record app waiting for my next workout. I don't plan to use MapMyRide or several other common fitness apps. I don't mind Activity being so basic, then, because if it were configurable to everyone's tastes, it would be way too complicated. My Garmin was complicated, and I want to get away from it.

(still, I think I need to adjust my Activity goals, because yesterday I filled all three circles, one three times around; I fear the day when I switch to a job which is so inactive that filling these circles would be a challenge)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438811753.591615.jpg

The included faces are all beautiful, and plenty are configurable. I spent the first day using Astronomy, and have settled into Simple and Utility most of the time. It'll take some design geniuses to come up with third-party faces that look any nicer than these. (most of the examples I've seen in Android Wear are just horrid, to put it mildly)

The Sport band is very comfy for me. I'm using the S/M size on my 170-175mm wrist, and I've got it on the second-largest hole. But, it's just a smidge loose, and the Watch has prompted me for the passcode a couple times today. One notch smaller is too snug to be long-term comfortable.

I've got one game on it, and it's "Rules!" It's a little sequential tapping game, and perfect for half a minute on the tiny screen. I wouldn't ever consider a big title like Gears Of War.

Speaking of "half a minute":

Drill this into every app writer's brain:
SHORTER INTERACTIONS ARE GOOD. LONGER SUCKS.
It's really weird to hold my arm at this angle for much longer than ten or twenty seconds. I didn't think about my personal limit until I tried reading an entire news story. It sucks. Forget videos or scrolling through a Facebook feed.

Battery life was enough for me on my first full day. Starting at 0530-ish, it finally hit 10% at 2300, and that was with frequent fiddling and three workout sessions. I'll bet I can stretch it a lot longer if I switch it to airplane mode when my phone is out of range.

Final verdict? Are you kidding? I've only had it for two days. I'll use it all this week, take it off for a day or two, and see if I miss it. Then I'll put it back on.

Now, if you're cool with taking care of short, important tasks via your wrist, and leaving out other common mobile activities (such as posting on web forums… ahem), you might enjoy an Apple Watch. But if not, then you don't need one. You could probably try a friend's AW if you're not sure; un-pairing the Watch and pairing to your iPhone can be done over a lunch break.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438811771.774177.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438811785.191908.jpg

·
Registered
733 Posts
How much movement does your wrist need to turn on the time? I’ve been sold on the AW since last September but, that’s the one thing that nags me.

Also, when I was checking it out at an Apple Store, I forgot to check which dawn/dusk times the solar face gives—civil, nautical, or astronomical.

·
Registered
271 Posts
How much movement does your wrist need to turn on the time? I’ve been sold on the AW since last September but, that’s the one thing that nags me.

Also, when I was checking it out at an Apple Store, I forgot to check which dawn/dusk times the solar face gives—civil, nautical, or astronomical.
To OP, congrats and enjoy.
Curious to read your thoughts in a month.

I struggled at times to get it to wake up. Biggest issue for me that ticked me off was I work standing up yet it would regularly remind me it's time to stand up.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Nice to hear your thoughts, and similarly interested to read your comments after a month of ownership.

I had the AW on all day and charging at night when I first got it. After a few weeks, I wore it less. Now I'm wearing it at work and reserving week nights/weekends for traditional watches. I think it's because the AW is most useful when I'm busy at work, plus the allure of beautiful mechanicals wins me back!

Activating the watch has been a constant annoyance. I think it fails 20% of the time. Some times it makes sense (i.e. walking with both arms straight down and carrying stuff, and want to look at time/next meeting location), other times it doesn't. I'm hopeful this will improve with software updates.

Tactic engine has been great (silent alarms and notifications in meetings are awesome), but I could never decipher between turning left/right with maps (maybe I'm wearing it too loose). But getting the tap and raising my arm to see turn left/right works well for my needs.

I've since turned dictation off for the reasons you mentioned (noises environments). But I find sending voice messages to be really useful.

Apple Pay is awesome, wish more stores take it!

3rd party apps are slow so I've uninstall them all. Will try again later with watchOS 2.

Het Siri also seems to fail more often than note. Disappointing, but again software updates should fix it.

But overall, I'm pleased with the AW this far, and looking forward to new updates going forward! Pleased enough to be trying out the Link bracelet, which almost costs as much I as the SS AW itself...

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What matters more seems to be the angle from the elbow to the hand. That is, the closer that the hand and elbow are at the same level, the easier it is to activate the display. If you hold your hand high, like you're waving at someone or you're holding a phone in front of your face, it just will not activate.

It also stays dark if I slowly move it. I can turn it to face me and remain dark if I move carefully enough.

But, think of how you would usually glance at a watch. You wonder, "Hey, what time is it? Lemme check real quick," and turn your wrist -- and STOP, even if briefly.

It's that STOP which triggers the display. It will turn on even if it's angled away from me, to maybe 30° past horizontal. That is, if my hand isn't raised too high.

Oh, I have no idea. My guess is it plucks the times from the Weather app.

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tactic engine has been great (silent alarms and notifications in meetings are awesome), but I could never decipher between turning left/right with maps (maybe I'm wearing it too loose). But getting the tap and raising my arm to see turn left/right works well for my needs.
Yeah, might be too loose to feel the taps reliably.

That's a quandary, though, isn't it? Just loose enough to let my wrist breathe, and the watch head bounces, making phantom taps; tighter to feel each tap, and it's just that much too tight.

In my car, which rides a little stiffer than most, road bumps sometimes masked the Watch's taps.

An infinitely adjustable strap like the Milanese Loop would be a great solution. Ahem. *cough*anniversary-gift*cough*

·
Registered
454 Posts
Now that I think about it, this is how my wife and I communicate while we're walking and holding hands; changing direction or stepping off for a green light, we tap each other with our fingers.
How do you communicate while you are walking with your mother-in-law?

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adding to my own thread --

I'm on a business trip this weekend, and last night was an overnight bus ride. We had power outlets at our seats, so I was able to keep my phone and Watch charged up… but there's no good way to keep the Watch's charging puck securely attached. I happened to have one of those office binder clips, so I clipped the cord to my sweatshirt and held the Watch in my lap. At least it charges very quickly.

I had some time to kill this morning, and I took some comparison shots with my G-Shock. For style alone, the AW is ridiculously versatile. The G will always be a G, but the AW can look like anything. Add a case like the one from Lunatik and it'll be ready for action (minus the 200m WR, though).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084038.750912.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084049.601733.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084063.937965.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084096.272528.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084115.706120.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084127.174950.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084140.726980.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084157.209325.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439084171.391888.jpg

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does that Apple watch say Rado?
It sure does. The day we bought it, I was wearing my newest watch, a Rado Centrix, gifted a few months ago. I decided to have some fun with the monogram field on the "Color" face.

[adding on] Someone mentioned that the AW on its link bracelet looks a lot like a particular Rado, so I thought of that, too, when I set mine to say "Rado" on the dial. Now I just need to figure out the rotating logo part.

The pic below was during initial setup while the AW was syncing content and settings.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439091768.042205.jpg

·
Banned
5,821 Posts
Nice to hear your thoughts, and similarly interested to read your comments after a month of ownership.

I had the AW on all day and charging at night when I first got it. After a few weeks, I wore it less. Now I'm wearing it at work and reserving week nights/weekends for traditional watches. I think it's because the AW is most useful when I'm busy at work, plus the allure of beautiful mechanicals wins me back!

Activating the watch has been a constant annoyance. I think it fails 20% of the time. Some times it makes sense (i.e. walking with both arms straight down and carrying stuff, and want to look at time/next meeting location), other times it doesn't. I'm hopeful this will improve with software updates.

I've since turned dictation off for the reasons you mentioned (noises environments). But I find sending voice messages to be really useful.

Apple Pay is awesome, wish more stores take it!

3rd party apps are slow so I've uninstall them all. Will try again later with watchOS 2.

Het Siri also seems to fail more often than note. Disappointing, but again software updates should fix it.

But overall, I'm pleased with the AW this far, and looking forward to new updates going forward! Pleased enough to be trying out the Link bracelet, which almost costs as much I as the SS AW itself...

Ditto. It's a very useful tool and I wear mine at work, but at home not so much. I've thought about why and concluded the design is pretty boring. I suspect eventually there will be many smart watches that also look great, but we aren't there yet.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Monday was a day off, so I measured our walk with the AW, the Nike+ Run iPhone app, and Garmin 410 with HR strap and GPS.

Pace, and distance estimates were all pretty close, although calorie estimates ranged from 360-ish on the Garmin to over 550 on Nike+.

I'm inclined to believe the Garmin's calorie count because I've heard that most other HR-tracking devices, including gym equipment, overestimate by quite a bit thanks to outdated formulas.

The best way to get an accurate calorie count is to get yourself tested at a sports lab. I believe the Garmin has a way to input this info, but I haven't done so. I also don't know of a way to add it to either the AW or the Health app.

I also would bet that the phone's GPS can only be used by one app or device at a time. I've tried using two jogging apps at the same time on the phone, but the first one I opened took priority, and the second app had no distance measurement. If this is the same with the AW, it explains why the Nike+ app and AW gave different distance totals. Next time, I won't use an iPhone app.

Screenshots (let me know if they're too small to read) --
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439322780.248082.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439322794.037665.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439322805.281923.jpg

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Two more workouts comparing the Garmin and the AW:

First is Wednesday's pull-ups/push-ups routine in the gym at work. Total calories might as well have been the same, which is better than I expected after seeing some early reviews from users experimenting with weight training and crossfit with the AW.

The average HR was close enough for me, but as we've learned, there isn't yet a way to view detailed HR data in Apple's Activity app.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439498516.747110.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439498524.774865.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439498544.503996.jpg

The other workout was a run this morning. I didn't launch any other apps on my phone this time, only using the AW's Outdoor Run workout mode while carrying the phone. My Garmin was on the other wrist, of course, and used its HR chest strap.

Again, the two were pretty equal in total numbers. I'm actually pretty pleased. I'll take them both cycling someday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439498669.203357.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439498678.624132.jpg

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I just got mine! (Actually two one for me and the wife). We both got the Sport editions. I am not thrilled with the straps, but I got a leather adapter in the mail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I just got mine! (Actually two one for me and the wife). We both got the Sport editions. I am not thrilled with the straps, but I got a leather adapter in the mail...

I have the SS one with the black sport band and actually love the comfort of the band, but looking to get either the Milanese or even the link bracelet as I can't wear leather due to perspiration and allergy to it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Well the 24 mm band size is a little unusual, but I used to wear Suunto watches and the Core uses a 24mm band, so I have a leather strap in a few colors, and a brushed Aluminum bracelet from a Core that will match pretty well. There are also a nice variety of colored elastomer straps available.

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day 15, beyond the free return window:

The little chime sounds that accompany most alerts are utterly charming. I think Ive and his team wanted to bring a part of their minute repeaters to the Watch.

Again, the taptic engine is fantastic. I often wear the watch overnight now, and it taps me when the phone's alarms go off in the morning, often waking me better than an audible alarm.

Speaking of alarms: when you set one on the phone, it also triggers the watch. But if you set one on the watch, it will not trigger an alarm on the phone.

The hourly Stand reminders are kind of sobering. I'm always moving around during my workday, but on days off, sometimes I might not complete the Stand circle. My wife understands good health, too, yet when we're just hanging out together on days off, I'm surprised by how little we actually move about. I've always known that we didn't get around much, but to see it in black and white (or blue circle-on-black) makes it more clear.

Quick interactions are still the best way to use this thing. News summaries about two or three inches long are fine, but it's uncomfortable to read whole articles, especially if they scroll out to three or four feet. This applies to games and other apps, too. Because of this (and also just because of the screen size), I still haven't decided whether to buy an upgrade for a weather radar app so it can display local radar on the watch.

The Maps app is much more capable than I thought. You can still scroll, zoom, drop a pin on a desired location, tap it, and get directions, just like on the phone or home computer. You Force Press to bring up more options to locate your Contacts or to search for other locations (via dictation or Favorites).

Third-party straps and bracelets are settling in, and I'm considering getting one of the $40-ish bracelets. The Sport band is more comfortable than my G-Shock's strap, but it still doesn't breathe well, and I miss the easy on-and-off of my other watches' bracelets. I've also suspected that Apple's Link Bracelet wouldn't be as durable as most regular bracelets, and other users have been reporting problems with theirs. I've seen a few good-looking bracelets online, but I want to handle them in person before choosing which to buy.

As I've said elsewhere, I would not regularly wear my Watch without also carrying my iPhone because the phone fills in the gaps that the watch won't handle (like composing long texts and emails, viewing videos, editing spreadsheets, etc). But—and this is a bigger "but" than it seems—I no longer feel it necessary to always have my phone within arm's reach. Yesterday, for example, at our grandma's house, I put my phone in my wife's purse, eliminating the chance for it to distract me.

After two weeks, then, I'm totally digging it. I'm finding new uses as apps are improved, and I'll update to WatchOS 2 as soon as it drops. We've agreed to buy no more watches (really, we don't make a whole lot of money, and I've got enough regular watches to cover all roles), but I've already asked for the Milanese Loop for a wedding anniversary or Christmas present. I'm also trying to get my wife to at least try it for a few days since unpairing and re-pairing with our phones should be easy enough.

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another workout experiment, this time with the AW coupled with the phone on "Outdoor Walk", heart rate and all, and my Garmin working solely on GPS.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440029628.507862.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440029648.444654.jpg

Interesting that their calorie counts were basically identical. The Garmin's numbers are pretty much what it has given on the same route with its HR strap, too.

The bummer is that the Activity app somehow has decreed that the four-hour walk was not a full exercise session, so I'm not getting credit towards my exercise ring. Weird. It's okay, though, because I was at my wife's pace, which is a little easier than my own.

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Last walking workout comparison I'll bother posting: AW Outdoor Walk and Nike+ Running app.

Worth noting is that the Nike+ companion app on the AW crashed right before we got home. I couldn't see any stats or stop the Nike+ session via the watch. But, the phone app kept running, so it tracked the rest of the route until I ended the session at home (which was a couple blocks after I stopped the AW Workout app).

Both apps gave similar numbers -- distance and calories (and for the AW, heart rate) as the Garmin has given on the same route, so that's good. But, the phone's battery was run down much more than when it's feeding the AW alone. The Nike+ app would beat up the battery before I got the AW, too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440376616.138069.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440376626.134667.jpg

1 - 20 of 51 Posts