WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My impression is if the SoC is reducted in size, the case size will be smaller or more components may be added.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
Agreed. Or if they can significantly cut power consumption - which is hard to do with a small, 'always-on' device
Yup. The first prototypes barely ran a few hours (I think it was less than a couple hours!) before they conked out. It took a lot of code optimization and custom silicon design to get them to a usable state. And the first version of watchOS didn’t even allow native apps, either. The fact that the Series 5’s CPU is so much faster — and it has LTE, GPS, and an always-on display, none of which the first-gen had — while maintaining just as much battery life is, frankly, pretty crazy.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Higher water resistance -Does that imply increase in thickness?
If yes, the battery size will go up too, hopefully.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Agree completely - especially since Apple is emphasizing some of the more battery-intensive features (compass, music streaming) as core benefits of the watch

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I agree that more battery life should be a top priority for the next iteration. I think we have enough features for now.
For sure. I was checking out the Fitbit Versa 2 as a possible upgrade for my wife’s Versa, and it has a 5-day battery. I know there are a lot of things at play, and the AW is much different internally, but... I mean if Fitbit can pull 5 days out of the Versa 2, Apple should be able to get to the 2-3 day range. I’m no expert, but that’s just my opinion. Daily charging is my only gripe with my AW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just hope they keep the battery life the same or better. When I sold my AW3 for an AW5, the new watch's battery life was HORRIBLE. It turns out that it was mostly related to the new OS. When Watch OS 6.1 came out, it fixed the severe battery life issues I was seeing (even with the AOD turned off). At this time, I still leave the AOD off and I can get 2-3 days of battery life, which is pretty nice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Apple has a patent for their iPhone to have a solar panel beneath the screen so as to charge the device. If this innovation could be placed in their watch the life of the battery would be extended.

Unfortunately, no company in the world has the technology to put a man on the moon, have rockets that land right side up, and watches that are solar powered.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I just hope they keep the battery life the same or better. When I sold my AW3 for an AW5, the new watch's battery life was HORRIBLE. It turns out that it was mostly related to the new OS. When Watch OS 6.1 came out, it fixed the severe battery life issues I was seeing (even with the AOD turned off). At this time, I still leave the AOD off and I can get 2-3 days of battery life, which is pretty nice.
Don’t forget, the series 3 was the thickest and had the largest battery of any Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts