WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Best Buy has them for $100 off.

I have about 8 watches..nothing fancy..but I like it as an accessory.

I am also in IT and a gadget lover. I love Apple products to boot.

if I get an Apple watch, i may find myself not wanting to wear any other watch again.

With the ease and availability of 3rd party bands..swapping them is a cinch for any occasion.

Have you found yourself not wearing your "regular" watches anymore after getting an Apple Watch?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have found that I stopped wearing my Apple Watch after I bought my Omega. I look at both of them and grab the Omega pretty much every time. That may change when I start mountain biking in the spring.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I think a bunch of us have stopped wearing our traditional watches after getting the AW. But then again, I think many more have returned or sold the AW according to a recent Wristly survey (scroll down and you'll see 35% of these dissatisfied respondents wore a regular watch).

Wish I could get the $100 off, but that's the price of ordering on launch day back in April I suppose!

Best Buy has a pretty generous holiday return policy (return until Jan). So if you're at all interested, just try it for a while and see if you like it. On the other hand, keep in mind that there're rumors for an upgraded hardware in the March/April timeframe.

I'm probably the only one doing this, but you could also wear two watches at a time if it's cold and you're wearing long sleeves. Best of both worlds!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I still can't substantiate on spending so much on a digital watch. I am impressed on what it can do, but I would rather save that money and get the next generation of the Iphone.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Got mine as a birthday gift and sold it after about 5 weeks. I really liked it's convenience, but missed wearing a "real" watch (whatever that means in today's world). And after about a week of double wristing it, decided I felt too conspicuous to continue.

I really hope that future Apple wrist-worn devices look less like watches and more like bands with screens so I can get another one and go back to knowing who called/texted without having my phone on my person, or needing to pull it out.

The MS Band looks pretty good with one missing feature. The AW doing wifi to the phone makes it worlds more useful than every other band out that that has to be within BT range to work.

Just my $5.86 ... $0.02 adjusted for inflation.

·
Registered
17,848 Posts
Have you found yourself not wearing your "regular" watches anymore after getting an Apple Watch?
Yes.

It's not a bad collection, either, even if it's not at all high-end by WUS standards. You can swap out the older iPod Nano on the left with a Garmin Forerunner 410.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450131470.222559.jpg

·
7,402 Posts
I wanted the Space Black Steel but couldn't justify spending that much $$ so I got the Space Gray Sport on launch day. I wore it maybe 2-3 days a week at work amongst the rotation.

Then they released the Space Black with Sport Band, I sold the sport and bought it on discount. Then they discounted them by $100 for Black Friday and I price matched that which freed me up a little to buy the Space Black Link bracelet on EBay for a great price. I can't take it off my wrist now, the rotation has stalled. But here's the thing....

I am a collector. A lot of my watches have a significance for some reason. This upgrade was to celebrate my new job. I honestly don't know how this will affect the rotation, but for now this is the only one I will be wearing for a while.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same here - the rotation has stalled - and it's all AW all the time. The thing is, I can't bring myself to sell any of my "real" watches....they just stare at my wrist longingly from the winder. It's just so easy to dress up or down the AW with a quick strap change. Heaven help me when the AW becomes more independent from the iPhone.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Apple as a large following including me i have a Macbook, iPad, iPad mini and an iPhone love the way they all work love the IOS really can't do without it but not a lover of the way it's going. My iPhone is the 5s and i would normally have upgraded every new release but then Apple went the same way as others instead of a nice phone that fits in the hand no they made the 6 super large i hated it my friends have large phones and it must be like holding an iPad mini in your hands. The watch oh yes i looked forward to that but it's not a watch you can't even tell the time unless you flip your wrist or touch the screen and as much as i love the notifications it's a mini phone and not for me just tries to hard to do everything. Because it want to do everything the phone can do the battery life is rubbish and well its not round is it and watches in my collection are round. Apple watch will sell well over xmas i am sure a lot of people will buy them as presents but the design and usage is a very long way from me going out and buying one and lets face it they are not cheap.
Just my thoughts

Peter

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I don't know what other think,I won't get one for the following reasons: I don't information on my wrist all the time,if I am in a place where I can't see my phone,I shouldn't read messages on my wrist..for exercise and activities, I am totally old school and don't want to know my steps taken and calories burnt...I am not techy savvy and don't really adapt to new technologies easily...I don't Facebook much nor have huge no of apps on my phone...I sound like a cave-man right now actually :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Out of interest i have just been on eBay and UK only at this moment in time there is 209 secondhand watches for sale when the model is only a few months old that cannot be a good sign for the Apple management

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
From my anecdotal experience when it comes to buying and selling watches, if you have to ask when it come to buying, the answer should be 'no', and if you have to ask when it comes to selling, the answer should be 'yes'. Following that theory, in this case, I'd say you should hold off...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Rumor is that Apple will launch the 2nd version in March so I would wait for 3 more months to see the next iteration.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I picked up my 42mm SS edition on the milanese bracelet over four months ago and have been wearing it exclusively ever since. The only time I've not worn it has been whilst backpacking. For this it's my Pathfinder Ti but I followed this same pattern with my "regular" watches as well.

I've been a bit surprised by the fact that while I certainly still appreciate my other watches I find that I haven't missed wearing them. I've thoroughly enjoyed my Apple Watch and consider it money well spent due to the enjoyment I've gotten from it. I added a black Apple sport band; VERY comfortable as well.

·
Registered
17,848 Posts
Rumor is that Apple will launch the 2nd version in March so I would wait for 3 more months to see the next iteration.
Rumor (you said so yourself). It ain't true until Apple says it's true.

As usual, a prospective owner can wait forever for the "next version." Or, they can just get the current one, enjoy it, and either upgrade to the next one, or wait it out and see what the product timeline turns out to be.

Bottom line is, we don't know what Apple's plans are. Maybe it'll be a whole new chassis, maybe it'll look the same as the current model, maybe they'll offer an upgrade program for minimal cost, maybe they'll change everything so even the current straps won't work (although I highly doubt the last scenario would be true).

·
Registered
162 Posts
So Best Buy has them for $100 off.

I have about 8 watches..nothing fancy..but I like it as an accessory.

I am also in IT and a gadget lover. I love Apple products to boot.

if I get an Apple watch, i may find myself not wanting to wear any other watch again.

With the ease and availability of 3rd party bands..swapping them is a cinch for any occasion.

Well Sweet GT, if I ever heard of a perfect candidate for an Apple Watch ... IT dept, gadget lover, Apple product lover ...
Just do what my wife and I did, get a cheapo stand from Amazon and set your other watches on a shelf so at least you can still look at them when you pass by, wearing your new Apple Watch of course :-!

20151107_163123.jpg

·
Registered
686 Posts
As usual, a prospective owner can wait forever for the "next version." Or, they can just get the current one, enjoy it, and either upgrade to the next one, or wait it out and see what the product timeline turns out to be.
If money wouldn't be an issue this topic wouldn't be here, I believe. So from this point of view it is worth waiting for 3 more months. Of course, if money is not an issue, the prospective owner can buy it without even asking the forum. And if satisfied, he can always upgrade to the next version when it becomes available.

In my case, I did buy 2nd hand from ebay since I wasn't sure about it. Fortunately, due to local circumstances, I could resell it after a month without loosing money. At least I tried it and saw for myself if it's worth it or not. For the guys living in US is even easier since they have 14 days money back guarantee from Apple so they should try it nevertheless.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Apple as a large following including me i have a Macbook, iPad, iPad mini and an iPhone love the way they all work love the IOS really can't do without it but not a lover of the way it's going. My iPhone is the 5s and i would normally have upgraded every new release but then Apple went the same way as others instead of a nice phone that fits in the hand no they made the 6 super large i hated it my friends have large phones and it must be like holding an iPad mini in your hands. The watch oh yes i looked forward to that but it's not a watch you can't even tell the time unless you flip your wrist or touch the screen and as much as i love the notifications it's a mini phone and not for me just tries to hard to do everything. Because it want to do everything the phone can do the battery life is rubbish and well its not round is it and watches in my collection are round. Apple watch will sell well over xmas i am sure a lot of people will buy them as presents but the design and usage is a very long way from me going out and buying one and lets face it they are not cheap.
Just my thoughts

Peter
What he said. No Apple Watch for me. I don't need my Facebook notifications that damn bad.

·
Registered
17,848 Posts
If money wouldn't be an issue this topic wouldn't be here, I believe. So from this point of view it is worth waiting for 3 more months. Of course, if money is not an issue, the prospective owner can buy it without even asking the forum. And if satisfied, he can always upgrade to the next version when it becomes available.
Or, if he's satisfied enough with v1, he can wait until v3 or 4 to upgrade again.

I guess there are different levels of "need" here. Nobody needs an AW (we all know people who'd argue that we don't need watches anymore, either), and some people feel they need the latest and greatest version of anything.

Odds are the latest-and-greatest crowd already have bought their Apple Watches, too. The ones who always wait for the next version are usually just waiting for something to push them over the fence.

I'm somewhere in between, making a practice of skipping iPhone generations and hanging onto a long-discontinued iPad. I also think the AW is different enough, through hardware, usage, and possibly Cook's/Ive's/Newson's intent, that we can't predict its upgrade plan one bit. Although I'm fine with jumping in early, I still waited for four months before getting mine (almost a full year if you count back to the reveal). I'm wagering there isn't much need to change the hardware, whether you're talking about the circuitry or external design; its abilities are defined more by its mere size than anything else.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts