WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator Omega and Apple Forum
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just a quick heads up for those of you that haven't updated to the latest and maybe not so much greatest OS.
You may want to hold off a bit. People are experiencing bricked watches after the update.

Photo borrowed from Macrumors member "pirarre"

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 4.05.50 PM.jpg

For what it's worth I upgraded mine without issue. Just trying to save some potential grief by posting here.

Chibatastic

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
... but maybe I should wait until 3.1.2?
Apple might pull the update within a day or two (if the problem is widespread enough) and then re-seed it. Might still be 3.1.1, might be 3.1.2.

Maybe I should update my steel first-gen, brick it, and then haggle for a steel Series 2. ;)

[edit] Yup, pulled already. Thanks for the update, Chibatastic.

·
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soooo I'm concerned about the new update.
I took it off the charger this AM, went for my walk and my battery still reads 100%
Probably nothing but since they pulled said update I don't trust it 100%..

IMG_4101.JPG

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
Maybe one needs to wait a few days before taking a WaltchOS update?
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I usually find out about updates from forums and such, and if there are any early problems, they show up within a few hours.

Apple distributes update notices gradually across everybody's device, too. It doesn't take long — maybe 3-4 days — but I think they do it for two reasons: to avoid the entire installed base hammering on Apple's servers, and to pull problematic updates before everybody's stuff breaks.

FWIW, a problem like this only shows up once every three or four years, I'd say. Not too bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
im thinking of buying an iphone just so i can use the apple watch.
but this thread makes me nervous lol.

shld i buy now or wait for the bigger iphone 8 soon?

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,011 Posts
im thinking of buying an iphone just so i can use the apple watch.
but this thread makes me nervous lol.

shld i buy now or wait for the bigger iphone 8 soon?
At this point I think you might as well wait for the next version.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
At this point I think you might as well wait for the next version.
And just to be clear:

Wait for Apple to send out the next watchOS, whether it's a revised 3.1.1 or a later version. Still, the ones coming from the factory should come with the latest stable OS release anyway (and if not, you will not be able to put 3.1.1 on it, just 3.1... which works fine).

The iPhone 7 series was just released; is it worth waiting at least nine months for the 8? What if they stick with the pattern and do a 7S instead next year? And there's no timeline for the AW versions, either, so might as well get the one they sell now.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,353 Posts
There may be 8s along with 7Ss, but that is in September. No guaranty AW3 will be released then. Maybe buy a used iPhone cheap then AW2?

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
There may be 8s along with 7Ss, but that is in September. No guaranty AW3 will be released then. Maybe buy a used iPhone cheap then AW2?
Nah -- well, the 7S would be sold alongside the 8 just as the 6S is sold next to the 7 today, but they're not going to be introduced in the same year.

The 5S and 5C pair being introduced simultaneously was an anomaly, but a bit necessary as Apple was needing to transition away from the 3.5" display of the 4S-and-earlier models while offering a lower-priced model than the 5S.

·
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't bother with the iPhone 7 personally. Wait for September's flavour of the year or just get a discounted iPhone 6s+(awesome phone with headphone jack)
It's a big commitment to change your phone just to be able to wear Apple watch. Definitely consider getting a fitbit Charge 2 or something from an other company..

Chibatastic

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
It's a big commitment to change your phone just to be able to wear Apple watch. Definitely consider getting a fitbit Charge 2 or something from an other company..
There's some merit to this. There are much cheaper ways to try out the smartwatch thing. If someone takes a step with a Charge (or, frankly, even a used Pebble, which are bound to be super-cheap these days) and doesn't like the concept, they're not out a lot of cash. Just as long as the line between viability (is it a good idea in the first place?) and execution (was the idea well-implemented?) is understood, the user can know clearly what to do next.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts