WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of each. I like the applied much more. The painted on or printed indices make a watch look cheap to me. I don't think I will buy anymore watches with painted or printed dials or at least anything over $500.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have mostly applied, but I really like the printed hour markers on my Doxa.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
The painted on or printed indices make a watch look cheap to me. I don't think I will buy anymore watches with painted or printed dials or at least anything over $500.
My Aquanaut shrinks in shame.

Technically the numbers are applied but the lume plots are not.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well done paint/printing can be amazing. I have both types and a watch with painted and applied indices (Monta triumph). I can’t stop staring at my Doxa searambler dial, mostly due to the painted on indices. It can be done well.

·
Premium Member
8,607 Posts
It is definitely watch dependent... but I typically like applied indices too. But I also really really like my Jaquet Droz:

Jaquet Droz 081019 001 ACR Stacked.jpg

And then there's this:

CredorEichiII.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I genuinely think it varies from watch to watch. On a very simple dial applied indices might always look best, but on my 1999 Omega SMP with the wave dial it looks perfect with printed/painted indices and the contrast against the wave texture works really well. I prefer the 2500 Planet Ocean over later iterations for a lot of reasons, and part of that is that the 2500 has painted numerals and to my eye the later applied numerals make it look too busy, and as if every aspect of the dial is vying for attention at the same volume. On the Seiko Marinemaster the applied indices are one of the stand out features that make it what it is, and when they catch the light I feel like the flash should be audible - it’s so dramatic. Horses for courses.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Depends on who is doing the painting. Overall applied is my go to but you can't beat a really well painted dial. Watch to watch decision.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I really do like both but I think I actually prefer printed - which is probably a minority view. Well it was the last time this came up :)

Two of my favourites

2019-09-29 07.42.41.jpg

2019-10-06 08.09.01.jpg

I do not think that printed dials look cheap per se anymore than applied indices always look expensive

2019-03-02 10.15.04.jpg

20200423_085802.jpg

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
I don't remember having seen any affordable watch with nicely applied indexes or Arabic numerals.

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
I prefer Applied in most cases. But to be honest, I've seen some gorgeous Printed indices and script. How they get it soo freakin' perfect I have no idea. I've seen the "balloon process" but still hard to believe it can be that perfect.

I find that many watches are artistic masterpieces in miniature!

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Certain styles of watch, printed works better. A deck watch with applied indices would just look wrong.

I prefer applied and tend to prefer watch styles where applied indices look appropriate (deck watches aren't my thing). I find applied indices more legible in more lighting conditions. I think they look more expensive or upscale in most cases, especially when they catch the light and sparkle. And I find the depth and texture they lend to a dial more visually interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
I much prefer printed dials. They are generally cleaner looking - more legible, less blingy and easier to read for me. I find a lot of applied indices look cheap or gaudy and remind me of shiny plastic (which I suspect is the case in many cheaper watches). Also, a printed dial will never have an index fall off the dial. It's not a common issue but it does happen. Finally, if you find printed dials "cheap" looking perhaps you are looking at dials on watches that are cheaply made. A quality watch will have a quality dial.

357250_012.jpg

stowa_ma_005_1024.jpg

tachy_003_1024.jpg

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How about printed under the crystal?
Don’t have this, but think it looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,331 Posts
Applied and painted/printed indices can vary in quality. Here are two painted numeral dials that sold for well under $500 and are well done..
titoni-airmaster1.jpg
39844.jpg

1 - 20 of 50 Posts