WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey WUS!

I was just starring at one of my beaters and thought that chrome surroundings (don't even know the proper name - anyone?) for the printed indices would really upgrade the look to something more valuable.

Are there companies doing such things? Are there frames in different forms to purchase? How would one apply them? Superglue?

Here's the watch in question, a cheapo 52mm Tauchmeister with sapphire crystal, 8215 movement and 1000m w/r:

20170203_051637.jpg

I'm on my phone, it always twists pictures. Don't know why! If it happened again, my apologies.

So, is it an impossible task what I am asking for?

Thanks for your help, WUS!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Many watches have lume-filled steel or gold indices. See for one of many examples the modern Rolex Submariner. I would say this is more common than not on contemporary dive and sports watches.

Other watches like yours (I assume) have directly applied lume dots without steel or gold indices. See for example the original Submariner and a lot of contemporary homages. This is cheaper so you see it on less expensive contemporary watches.

I'm sure for the right money you could have someone apply lume-filled steel indices to that watch. Doubt it would be worth it.

I am also doubtful that there are off-the-shelf steel rings that you could apply to those existing lume dots with adhesive. Would not try it at home with superglue even if there were such a thing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Bronte.

I thought most cheaper lume filled indices are made of plastic with a chrome finish, I was just wondering what the correct term for the indices frame could be.

I worked on a couple super cheap watches already and fixed indices that broke off (they have tiny little hooks that connects them to the dial) with tiny little drops of superglow, so I want to believe that it might be possible to apply some sort of frames to the indices on the dial.

Ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you think you can do it, with the understanding that things might go badly if you make a mistake, I say give it a shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts