WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and sorry if this question is answered before, but I can't find answer anywhere.

My question about date change is:
Is it normal for 8900 to change date at different time? It always does it between 11:55 and 00:01 or 00:02 not sure. Yesterday for example it changed date at 00:00, but today it did it at 11:57...

I read somewhere that movement has tolerances in date change but I am not sure if that tolerance is for one watch or general for 8900 movement, but one specific watch should change at same time? I am not sure how date change mechanism works and is it prone to outside factors as accuracy is or is it fixed and should not vary in time when it change dates ....

I am asking this just to check if my movement is OK, and I could not care less for exact time of date change itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've only been awake a couple of times to witness it :) but in my case the date started moving around 11:35 - 11:40, showing "in between" both days until the final change which took place around 11:50 - 11:55.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys I will use this topic as my next question is fully date related for 8900 movement.

I wonder how to change date when I need to skip lot of days. For example I went on holiday on 06th this month and I will be home tomorrow. I guess that I will find my watch date set to 7th or 8th and I will have to skip almost month to reach correct date, so my questions are:

1) Is it possible to change date backwards? (It is easier to reach 30th if I go back)

2) What is "allowed speed" of turning hour hand when changing date. I mean if I do it "click-by-click" (move one hour than half second pause then next....) it will be one reeeaaally long date change.
But if I just spin it as far/fast as I can twist my fingers would it be bad for mechanism, I feel that this is not recommended way to do it as it will probably brake something. But again not sure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you change the date backwards. I'll let others chime in as well.
So you think it is allwed to do so? Do you maybe know where I can check (online) to be sure, as I see that nobody want to give their opinion... :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've only been awake a couple of times to witness it :) but in my case the date started moving around 11:35 - 11:40, showing "in between" both days until the final change which took place around 11:50 - 11:55.
I thought OMEGA changed the date instantly.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yeah, you can change the date backwards, it's designed for that. (For example, traveling across the international date line)

The 8900 movement is designed to be extremely robust. I wouldn't worry about hurting it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
1) Is it possible to change date backwards? (It is easier to reach 30th if I go back)
You absolutely can on the 8500 movement. It is in their operating materials, and I have done it myself on my Aqua Terra. I have to imagine the same is true on the 8900 movement.

Edit: Confirmed.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
You can set it backwards. That is kind of the whole point of the independent hour hand. Don’t worry and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just on this topic, for the 8900 or 8500 is there a danger zone where we're not supposed to change the date?
No. You change the date by moving the hour hand, so by definition any hour is safe. The only catch is moving it far enough back if you are changing it backwards (see the Omega video I linked above).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts