WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I have made a similar thread a couple of weeks ago but did not get a lot of replies.)

Dear watchenthusiasts,

I'm a 21 year old University student and I'm in the market for a new watch, to date I have only owned some vintage Omega's and fashion watches (waste of money). I absolutely adore most of the (38mm) Aqua Terra pieces especially the plain black, grey teak and white face/blue hands versions. But I have a restricted budget, I'm looking to spend anywhere from 400$ to 1400$. I know this is not the easiest budget to work with. Yet again these are the features I'm looking for:

Automatic (in-house not required)
36mm-40mm
As slim as possible: <11mm
'Clean' face
Steel bracelet with small clasp
No shiny materials

The Sinn 556 I is the closest thing to perfection I have found but something about the bracelet just puts me off. (Clasp mainly)

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

I hope your day is treating you well,

Bart

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Ball engineer Red Label.... picture shows it with a strap, but it comes on a bracelet as well.

redlabel.jpg

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The first generation aqua terras can be found in that price range especially the 36.5mm ones and quartz models. You may find a 39mm automatic model in that range if you are very patient.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ball engineer Red Label.... picture shows it with a strap, but it comes on a bracelet as well.

View attachment 896144
That is one beautiful looking timepiece, the price is a bit steep though and there are no AD's that sell Ball-watches in my country. At 13mm it's also a bit thicker than I would like but I'm afraid I also love it, A LOT!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Tissot T-Tempo. MSRP is somewhere around $800 for the normal model, probably a bit more for the COSC version.

You said "no shiny materials." Not sure what that means exactly - this watch has a polished bezel, but so does the Aqua Terra.

·
Premium Member
36,286 Posts
Mido, Eterna, and Stowa might be some for you to consider as well. All excellent brands and readily available in the UK/Europe. Also some of the Sekio SARBs are nice for their price point as well as the size you are looking for.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the lowest price I should be able to find for the blue teak dial mid-size aqua terra (8500). Anywhere near 2500 euro?

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
Use watchrecon.com to check some out. Maybe not exact model but gives you an idea

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I love the threads where the OP ups the ante. Buy it.... Buy it today... You deserve it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
536 Posts
I love the threads where the OP ups the ante. Buy it.... Buy it today... You deserve it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
+1 You will end up spending more buying a substitute. Fork over the cash for a pre loved AT or save up a few months..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Check out the Epos 3401

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
SARB035, as mentioned:

Seiko_Sarb035.jpg

borrowed pic.

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
109 Posts
What is the lowest price I should be able to find for the blue teak dial mid-size aqua terra (8500). Anywhere near 2500 euro?
These are just coming out, so you probably will be looking at a new one only. I think $4500 US is probably the best price you could reasonably get.

However, the aqua terra 2500 in blue is thinner (closer to 11mm vs 13.2 on the 8500) and can probably be had for $2300 US. I like the cleaner dial too. In fact, this watch (2500 AT in blue) is a contender for when I buy a watch for my wedding next year.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Great suggestions above. I think the Tissot and Ball come closest to the AT8500 in look and feel (I have the AT and have played with the Ball in person) and they're both available in chronometer versions so practically speaking you're going to get similar accuracy despite the big discount price.

I really like the Seiko SARB and have no problem recommending it, but to me, it doesn't have the look or feel of the AT (not worse, just I don't feel any connection between them).

The Mido Multifort has a sort of similar appeal I think and is easily within your range:

Seiko does make a Kinetic\quartz AT lookalike too:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts