WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next purchase is going to be my first "luxury" watch, and I'm looking for some advice. I live in a rural area, so it's a 3 hr drive to nearest Omega dealer (or anyone that sells something other than Fossil). Needless to say, I don't get the opportunity see these watches in person very often. Because I have limited face time with these watches, I thought I'd reach out to those with more experience.

Whatever I get is going to be worn near daily. I have a couple Tissots (titanium T-touch, and a white dial day-date automatic), but it's time step it up. I'm considering a sub-marine no-date, but I really don't want the attention that'll come with people's perceptions of Rolex. A Planet Ocean is at the top of the list, but it might be a little thicker than what I'm after. An SMP is probably the logical solution, but I just can't get myself too excited about it. Feels like I would be settling. The fourth option is coming out of left field, a Aqua Terra annual ref 231.10.43.22.01.002. I love that the co-axial movement is unique to Omega, and it's more efficient than a traditional escapement. I also love the annual calendar complication. Besides all that, from the pictures online it appears to be a beautiful watch to look at. My concern though is that it'll be too dressy for something I plan to wear near daily. I work in a manufacturing facility. While I'm in a more "office" setting, and running equipment, I'm not wearing a suit by any means. My attire is a casual dress shirt and blue jeans. Would I be pushing it trying to pull off the AT with jeans?

·
Registered
947 Posts
My next purchase is going to be my first "luxury" watch, and I'm looking for some advice. I live in a rural area, so it's a 3 hr drive to nearest Omega dealer (or anyone that sells something other than Fossil). Needless to say, I don't get the opportunity see these watches in person very often. Because I have limited face time with these watches, I thought I'd reach out to those with more experience.

Whatever I get is going to be worn near daily. I have a couple Tissots (titanium T-touch, and a white dial day-date automatic), but it's time step it up. I'm considering a sub-marine no-date, but I really don't want the attention that'll come with people's perceptions of Rolex. A Planet Ocean is at the top of the list, but it might be a little thicker than what I'm after. An SMP is probably the logical solution, but I just can't get myself too excited about it. Feels like I would be settling. The fourth option is coming out of left field, a Aqua Terra annual ref 231.10.43.22.01.002. I love that the co-axial movement is unique to Omega, and it's more efficient than a traditional escapement. I also love the annual calendar complication. Besides all that, from the pictures online it appears to be a beautiful watch to look at. My concern though is that it'll be too dressy for something I plan to wear near daily. I work in a manufacturing facility. While I'm in a more "office" setting, and running equipment, I'm not wearing a suit by any means. My attire is a casual dress shirt and blue jeans. Would I be pushing it trying to pull off the AT with jeans?
That is a nice watch and it does look dressy. If you are going to spend that much money don't you think you should go with something you really love? You can't go wrong with the Rolex submariner no date. Also Omega does have some really cool looking stuff in the same price range you were at with an Aqua terra. Of course if you are going to be wearing this in a machine shop setting at least part of the time perhaps you should not wear a steel bracelet. Some of the speed masters come with both with steel and NATO straps. That would also save you some money as well. Either way let us know what you decide. I think your predicament is an enjoyable one. :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I wear my blue AT almost all the time. I wear polo shirt and khakis to work, t shirt and shorts at home, wear it with jeans, and I wear it (in the rare occasion that it comes up for me) with a dress shirt and tie or with a suit. I have worn it at the beach, hiking, yard work, etc. I think it goes well with just about anything. Lots of people wear silver watches with bracelets as an all-around watch. I personally think it should be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I should have proof read before posting. I don't operate machinery, at least not anymore, I'm involved with software and process management now, so metal bracelets aren't an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wear my blue AT almost all the time. I wear polo shirt and khakis to work, t shirt and shorts at home, wear it with jeans, and I wear it (in the rare occasion that it comes up for me) with a dress shirt and tie or with a suit. I have worn it at the beach, hiking, yard work, etc. I think it goes well with just about anything. Lots of people wear silver watches with bracelets as an all-around watch. I personally think it should be fine.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! It'll be some time before I'm ready to make a purchase, and I'll be sure to try on all options in person before deciding. I'm pretty conservative, so I was thinking black dial, but I have a feeling that blue dial is something else in person?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
+1
you can't go wrong with the AT, the perfect allrounder. It is my one and only watch

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
I have three of the larger Aqua Terras, two annual calendars in grey and opaline and a blue GMT all of them have the 43mm case. I have the older Annual Calendars which has the brushed center links and I think it dresses down the watch a bit.

I do wear a suit all week and think the ATs dress up very nicely but they definitely work with jeans and business casual as well. I personally don't like wearing an AT with shorts and a t-shirt, my weekend attire, so I usually wear a Speedmaster or Planet Ocean on the weekends.

I love the Annual Calendar complication, its so nice to grab and go and not have to worry about date changes at the end of the month. I also highly recommend the prior versions with the date window and the brushed center links, you still get the exact same movement but the brushed PCLs give it a more versatile look. The large case also keeps it from looking too dressy!

This black dial is beautiful though! The grey dial is a bit muted.

Here is an old post of mine with pics of each watch - https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/guess-i-have-thing-large-aqua-terras-1934905.html

All that said the AT AC is a very good choice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have three of the larger Aqua Terras, two annual calendars in grey and opaline and a blue GMT all of them have the 43mm case. I have the older Annual Calendars which has the brushed center links and I think it dresses down the watch a bit.

I do wear a suit all week and think the ATs dress up very nicely but they definitely work with jeans and business casual as well. I personally don't like wearing an AT with shorts and a t-shirt, my weekend attire, so I usually wear a Speedmaster or Planet Ocean on the weekends.

I love the Annual Calendar complication, its so nice to grab and go and not have to worry about date changes at the end of the month. I also highly recommend the prior versions with the date window and the brushed center links, you still get the exact same movement but the brushed PCLs give it a more versatile look. The large case also keeps it from looking too dressy!

This black dial is beautiful though! The grey dial is a bit muted.

Here is an old post of mine with pics of each watch - https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/guess-i-have-thing-large-aqua-terras-1934905.html

All that said the AT AC is a very good choice!
WOW! That is a nice collection! Thanks for advice on the prior versions, I'll check them out. I think I'd really enjoy the annual calendar as well. I use my watch for date reference frequently, and would be reminded of the complication each time.

·
Registered
789 Posts
If you are lucky enough to have an AT Annual, then you deserve to wear it all the time under any dress or occasion. The ATs are the one of the best beach to boardroom watches and can fit in anywhere in between. Good luck in your search and we look forward to the pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are lucky enough to have an AT Annual, then you deserve to wear it all the time under any dress or occasion. The ATs are the one of the best beach to boardroom watches and can fit in anywhere in between. Good luck in your search and we look forward to the pics.
Thanks for the input. I won't be able to have multiple watches in this price range, so whatever I do get needs to be something I can wear for multiple occasions. As for pictures, it'll be a couple of years before I make a purchase. I need to get my kids out of daycare first (for what I will have paid in daycare for two kids through kindergarten, I could have bought an a lange & sohne!)

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Thanks for the input. I won't be able to have multiple watches in this price range, so whatever I do get needs to be something I can wear for multiple occasions. As for pictures, it'll be a couple of years before I make a purchase. I need to get my kids out of daycare first (for what I will have paid in daycare for two kids through kindergarten, I could have bought an a lange & sohne!)
It's gonna drive you nuts having to shop for one nice watch for the next 2 years. I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have the blue AT and totally agree with the above. It really is the perfect all rounder and doesn't look out
of place no matter what your attire.
what he said and I have seen men wearing them dressed in all different attire and the only other watch that seems to get away with it is a Rolex Explorer 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I've worn a t-shirt and jeans with my AT for over two years now; the AT fits no matter what you wear. Don't worry too much about what you wear with it; just enjoy the watch!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts