WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
The Tag looks far better in my opinion (and the 1887 is a great movement - irrespective of its history)

Want a thinner Chrono, look at the Zenith El Primero. The 42mm is 13.3mm and the 38mm is 12.7mm.

View attachment 3090642
Plus one, especially the open heart comes in 42 and fits well under a shirt.
The moonphase unfortunately comes only with 44 but it's a pure beauty. Too bad it's 44 =/

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Of the OPs choices, the TAG has a better dial. But the new ATs with the 9300 movement and bicompax registers are very nice. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
323 Posts
The date AT dial is beautiful and should not be cluttered with chrono stuffing! :) Tag

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
The reason i considered to sell it at the first place is because of this (Check out this link)

Quill & Pad | Jean-Claude Biver Restructures LVMH Watch Brands; TAG Heuer CEO Stéphane Linder Resigns. Coincidence?

It's so clear that Jean Claude Biver has no intention to keep on innovating.
Tag has been doing so well with the strategy in terms of moving up the brand positioning in the pass couple of years

Form now Tag Heuer main competitor will be Apple watch which might be a smart move in terms of earning more money for LVMH , but who knows Tag will aim directly againt Apple which is the company that held 178 Billion in cash right now . Apple sure will have much more money for innovation and marketing

Now for us watch lover , the existing Tag mechanical watches that all of us have in the collection will decrease in value so bad in the next 5 years if LVMH going to continue to this route

all I'm saying is I just want to feel some value on my wrist

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The reason i considered to sell it at the first place is because of this (Check out this link)

Quill & Pad | Jean-Claude Biver Restructures LVMH Watch Brands; TAG Heuer CEO Stéphane Linder Resigns. Coincidence?

It's so clear that Jean Claude Biver has no intention to keep on innovating.
Tag has been doing so well with the strategy in terms of moving up the brand positioning in the pass couple of years

Form now Tag Heuer main competitor will be Apple watch which might be a smart move in terms of earning more money for LVMH , but who knows Tag will aim directly againt Apple which is the company that held 178 Billion in cash right now . Apple sure will have much more money for innovation and marketing

Now for us watch lover , the existing Tag mechanical watches that all of us have in the collection will decrease in value so bad in the next 5 years if LVMH going to continue to this route

all I'm saying is I just want to feel some value on my wrist
I agree with everything that has been said previously about the Tag being the more suitable watch for your wrist. From the photos you've posted it just looks like it really belongs there.

As a huge Zenith fan and owner of the tri colored 38 mm model, I also agree that it would be a great choice if you're looking for a thinner watch. You might want to look at the grey or blue dial versions as they're more in line with the clean look of your current Tag.

Concerning the Apple watch, my feeling is that it's irrelevant. It's a different product category. If we were talking about the Tissot T Touch or Suunto hiking watches there might be an impact, but not for a mechanical chronograph like the 1887.

I can understand how you feel about Biver's positioning strategy for Tag. I was a little confused as to why Tag was putting out two chrono movements at the same time, so I can understand as to why he would do this. At least you have the newest proprietary calibre from Tag. Plus look at the hierarchy that he's trying to create for LVMH: first Tag, then Zenith, then Hublot at the top. Is that credible? Can you seriously consider that Hublot could take precedence over these two historical brands? Most Hublot movements are 2892 and 7750 clones. The best chrono that it has in its stable is the El Primero in the Spirit of Big Bang model. Of course you could also get a Tag with an EP as well. Price doesn't govern taste and you should love your Tag.

·
Registered
714 Posts
What are everyone else's thoughts regarding the value of Tag's previous and current models given the supposed new direction under Biver? Do you think it will have an effect on the value of an older Tag model. I use "older" lightly; models like the one listed in the OP would be included in my question.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
What are everyone else's thoughts regarding the value of Tag's previous and current models given the supposed new direction under Biver? Do you think it will have an effect on the value of an older Tag model. I use "older" lightly; models like the one listed in the OP would be included in my question.
My concise response is that I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Of the OPs choices, the TAG has a better dial. But the new ATs with the 9300 movement and bicompax registers are very nice. View attachment 3117226
Yup, much better subdial balance than the undersized one on the older watch. But Omega made it U-Boat-sized - 44mm across and nearly 20mm thick. Sure slams a DSSD into touch for sheer heft!

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I really really doubt that Tag would throw away their current quite profitable position to battle Apple. It just doesn't make any sense. The LV group just doesn't have the software experience to attempt it. I see the Tag smart watch as an offering separate from their mechanicals. Like how their Formula 1 line is their budget Quartz line and I doubt it will impact their high end mechanicals.

Tissot has room in their portfolio for the T touch and Seiko/citizen have room in their port folio for GPS watches and all sorts of crazy watches. Tag is simply diversifying their portfolio. Considering how huge the mobile phone market has become, they would be crazy to not at least attempt to take a huge piece of the smart watch pie before its all gone.

Will branching out dilute the Swiss brand prestige? Short answer is no. Their crappy sunglasses and other items didn't. I doubt this would. Besides, I am guessing it's going to be a rip off like the Apple watch and maintain the prestigious Swiss pricing.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.