WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I came across the Aquaracer 500m at a local AD here in atlanta. They were having an incredible sale on many watches (off Msrp) considering howreputable they are versus a non ad online dealer. At any rate , I had a budget of $1200 to $1500 and I was looking at some longines, ebels, and even a quartz tag. Then I walked into this jeweler not knowing they were having a sale and sure enough they have these Aquaracers 500m for $1400 plus tax . Brand New with Original tag warranty plus another 2 years from Mayors.... Not a bad a deal considering the watch msrp is $2550 (quite high for what it is). But at $1400 plus tax... A good buy? A good watch? It looks wonderful indeed. They would also order me a SS bracelet for $225 in case I wnat to change the look of the watch.. I am not sure if this a good price for the bracelet but it does not sound crazy. What do you think. Any experiences out there? Should I go for a Longines for $500 less? Thank you

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Re: Aquaracer 500 Auto with rubber band. Is it worth $1400? Happy with the movement Time K

HI I came across the Aquaracer 500m at a local AD here in atlanta. They were having an incredible sale on many watches (off Msrp) considering howreputable they are versus a non ad online dealer. At any rate , I had a budget of $1200 to $1500 and I was looking at some longines, ebels, and even a quartz tag. Then I walked into this jeweler not knowing they were having a sale and sure enough they have these Aquaracers 500m for $1400 plus tax . Brand New with Original tag warranty plus another 2 years from Mayors.... Not a bad a deal considering the watch msrp is $2550 (quite high for what it is). But at $1400 plus tax... A good buy? A good watch? It looks wonderful indeed. They would also order me a SS bracelet for $225 in case I wnat to change the look of the watch.. I am not sure if this a good price for the bracelet but it does not sound crazy. What do you think. Any experiences out there? Should I go for a Longines for $500 less? Thank you
Well, this is a pretty hard question to answer!
Is it worth it?
Yes if you like it and feel confident enought to shell out the cash for it. IMHO it is a pretty nice watch, it comes with a pretty solid dependable movement made by Sellita for Tag (it´s nothing out of this world). Comes in a pretty nice case, you get 500 m of WR.
I've tried it on several times and it sits quite well on the wrist.
From what you read i gather that Mayor's is also having a sale on Longines and Ebel watches; Again imho Ebel makes a better watch than both Longines and Tag, but if you don't like any of the Ebels don't buy one. Longines and TH DIVERS are probably on par.
To compare their entire ranges is silly.
So, in the end buy it if you like it.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Re: Aquaracer 500 Auto with rubber band. Is it worth $1400? Happy with the movement Time K

45% off from an AD is unheard of for a popular model! Are you sure its an auto?

You can buy auto divers anywhere between $300 to over $10,000. Worth is subjective to your spending habits and design preference but $1400 for that watch is a good deal.

I have a 500M (paid several hundred more than your price) in my collection because of the design and fit and finish.

If you just want a diver for the purpose of having a diver, look elsewhere and spend less. If you want THIS TAG Heuer diver, then $1400 is a great deal.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

I own this exact watch with the grey dial on the SS bracelet and you got a very good deal on it. Congrats and Enjoy!!! I love mine. It's running a tad faster then I like, but my watchmaker can slow it down to within COSC specs for $15. I thought the Calibre 5 was a base ETA 2824-2 and not a Sellita SW200.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts

. I thought the Calibre 5 was a base ETA 2824-2 and not a Sellita SW200.
The cal 5 designation is given to both 2824s and sw200s probably because they are so similar. TAG has used the SW200 for about 2 years.

I would have preferred the sw200 be given it's own calibre so the owner knows without question what the movement source is. The whole renaming game baffles me. Not sure why brands hide behind calibre names. I guess it sounds better.

Even the Swatch group brands rename their movements. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

That is an excellent price for that watch, I'd pick the stainless steel band up with it too for the money. You'd be nuts not to take it, assuming you like it ofcourse!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Sounds like a very nice deal from an AD. Personally, I would get the bracelet as well as the watch itself or see if I could get it with the bracelet only. That's just me, tho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Sounds like a very nice deal from an AD. Personally, I would get the bracelet as well as the watch itself or see if I could get it with the bracelet only. That's just me, tho.

Thank you guys for all your post.... This was at Mayors in Atlanta. They had about 15 different tags at 45% off MSRP and a FEW Omegas at 35% off. This was the only Aquaracer. the salesperson explained that they were discontinuing a few watches at that store including the Aquaracer with the RUBBER band only. Perhaps they were giving a good deal on the band since I brought it up at the time. I DID NOT buy the watch. I put a deposit while I take a little time to think about it. She is giving me 5 days. The Ebel (Discovery 1911 Chrono) would come from a non AD dealer and the LONGINES would come from a different AD dealer. Neither of them would come from Mayors. I like the watch very much on my wrist. It looks like a nice sporty heavy duty watch. My wife thinks that it looks a lot of diver watches. She probably has a point, but does she know? LOL! I was just wondering if the watch is "worth" the $1400 plus tax or weather these Aquaracers are somewhat overpriced even at that price. Hard to believe these watches retail for $2500. I agree with an ealier poster that the watch is only worth what one is willing to pay. Just wondering if this Tag is worth taht kind of money... I should add I am not a diver by any means. I just like an all around watch and divers or screw down crowns usually offer that kind of versatility...

·
Registered
6,781 Posts

. Hard to believe these watches retail for $2500. I agree with an ealier poster that the watch is only worth what one is willing to pay. Just wondering if this Tag is worth taht kind of money... I should add I am not a diver by any means. I just like an all around watch and divers or screw down crowns usually offer that kind of versatility...
Just some perspective, the Seamaster is priced at $3250. Yes, it's COSC but that isnt worth the $700 premium over the 500M. The Planet Ocean 42mm is about $3900.

So, at $1400, it's a very good deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just some perspective, the Seamaster is priced at $3250. Yes, it's COSC but that isnt worth the $700 premium over the 500M. The Planet Ocean 42mm is about $3900.

So, at $1400, it's a very good deal.
I like your thinking when you put it into perspective...... The Planet Ocean 42mm looks like a great watch. I remember about a year ago, I went to Jareds to look at a watch for my wife and I looked at the PO 42mm. The price at the time was about $2900 or $3200. I do not recall. I just saw it for the $3900. I could not belive OMEGA incrased the price around $700 in a year.......

·
Registered
6,781 Posts

I like your thinking when you put it into perspective...... The Planet Ocean 42mm looks like a great watch. I remember about a year ago, I went to Jareds to look at a watch for my wife and I looked at the PO 42mm. The price at the time was about $2900 or $3200. I do not recall. I just saw it for the $3900. I could not belive OMEGA incrased the price around $700 in a year.......
Omega is trying to compete into the next range of brands like Rolex. I think the quality is there but perception isn't quite there. You need both to move up.

Raising prices by several hundred dollars in a short period of time is a way to move into that next higher up group.

Omega owners saw this coming and frankly they were very happy with the Seamaster non-co-ax that was priced at about $2300. The Omega did the unthinkable - they dopped their most popular diver, the $2300 2254 model Seamaster, and replaced it with the afforementioned $3200 co-ax movement Seamaster, a $900 increase for a supposed upgrade.

This is not a shot at Omega. They have a strategy they feel is best for the brand and I wish them well. But every time I hear that TAG is way overpriced I can't help but give this example of the Seamaster and Omega jacking their prices up to be perceived as a brand being more than it is. But rarely will you hear that the Seamaster is overpriced. I've yet to figure that out.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

This is not a shot at Omega. They have a strategy they feel is best for the brand and I wish them well. But every time I hear that TAG is way overpriced I can't help but give this example of the Seamaster and Omega jacking their prices up to be perceived as a brand being more than it is. But rarely will you hear that the Seamaster is overpriced. I've yet to figure that out.
Usually, in my little experience, the people crying about Tag being 'overpriced' are usually the Omega fan boys. There was a thread on the dive forum with a guy wanting to flip his rolex sub for a 300m Tag diver (the WAN2110), and almost everybody replied with "blah blah blah tag overpriced blah blah if tag went bankrupt nobody would care blah blah" and finished up with "get the seamaster instead! best watch ever!". I was the first person in the thread to post up with my experience of the watch (i have the blue version) and told him that I found the quality to be up-to-par with the Seamaster and the accuracy just as good (+4 sec for a non-cosc!), and made it a point that the Tag was 1/2 the price of the Omega! The guy ended up with the tag, found it great and posted up saying that his is running within +4 sec a day too!

tldr; BRAND SNOBBERY!

Mine:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

the people crying about Tag being 'overpriced' are usually the Omega fan boys
I like them all, and think they are all over priced!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

$1400 from an AD with that kind of warranty is a real buy for this terrific watch. They sell used for just a couple hundred less than that!

And do get the bracelet. It's excellent - the best one TAG has ever put on an Aquaracer. Not as good as the Omega bracelets, but at less than half the price it's a way better value.

·
3,255 Posts

Prices for TAGs have been going up, too. Of course the models were somewhat upgraded, but the prices are MUCH higher than they were ten to fifteen years ago. Even if you look at two years ago, prices have gone up. Everyone is following Rolex strategy of slowly increase the prices endlessly. "buy now, because prices are going up..." - It seems to work...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Prices for TAGs have been going up, too. Of course the models were somewhat upgraded, but the prices are MUCH higher than they were ten to fifteen years ago. Even if you look at two years ago, prices have gone up. Everyone is following Rolex strategy of slowly increase the prices endlessly. "buy now, because prices are going up..." - It seems to work...
i guess they are trying to position themselves as an investment item... Rolex has always done well with this strategy as their watches have excellent resale values. I would think that a Tag at 45% off can be consider the same assuming they keep raising their prices. the disfference is that Tag is highly discounted and Rolex is not. Omega is somewhere in between. But if I would have gotten the PO a year ago at the discounted price of $2450, I probably would be able to sell it for the same or more. I would think that the same would apply to this Tag even at a such discount... I have a Formula 1 Chrono that I bought 7 years ago at a discounted price of $450 and I bet I can get close that today....

The reality is that I have been torn to buy watch and I looked at a few "excellent" buys from tag, Ebel (a Discovery 1911 COSC original MSRP $4500 for $1250) and A longines Hydroconquest auto for $750 (half of what the tag cost similar movement) and here I am debating the purchase. Heck I can even have the Ebel and the Longines for $2000 or an Aquaracer for $1400 or $1650 with two different brands.. Decisions Decisions, and more decisions. Probably leaning towards the tag form the local AD jeweler. A very nice watch! My friend even suggested a Breitling Superocean or COlt 2. It never ends!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts

See the Mikrograph thread. I think it applies to what you are saying here.

·
3,255 Posts

i guess they are trying to position themselves as an investment item... Rolex has always done well with this strategy as their watches have excellent resale values. I would think that a Tag at 45% off can be consider the same assuming they keep raising their prices. the disfference is that Tag is highly discounted and Rolex is not. Omega is somewhere in between. But if I would have gotten the PO a year ago at the discounted price of $2450, I probably would be able to sell it for the same or more. I would think that the same would apply to this Tag even at a such discount... I have a Formula 1 Chrono that I bought 7 years ago at a discounted price of $450 and I bet I can get close that today....

The reality is that I have been torn to buy watch and I looked at a few "excellent" buys from tag, Ebel (a Discovery 1911 COSC original MSRP $4500 for $1250) and A longines Hydroconquest auto for $750 (half of what the tag cost similar movement) and here I am debating the purchase. Heck I can even have the Ebel and the Longines for $2000 or an Aquaracer for $1400 or $1650 with two different brands.. Decisions Decisions, and more decisions. Probably leaning towards the tag form the local AD jeweler. A very nice watch! My friend even suggested a Breitling Superocean or COlt 2. It never ends!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you buy a timepiece, you don't buy a product ONLY. You buy company history, style, personality, design, trust, etc. There are many lower cost brands that will sell you good products. Even some Rolex replicas use ETA movement !! What will make you happy to own ?? That is the final question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts