WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning WUS fam!

I recently purchased a Tag Aquaracer WAF2110 second-hand and it arrived yesterday. The watch isn’t working. Tried manually winding as well as just wearing it around to see if it would start up but no luck. Sadly I can’t return it as I purchased as is.

Is there anything you all would suggest checking? I can pop the case back off and take a peek but I don’t want to dive too far in to it as I’m scared I’ll damage even further.

Also the crown seems a little tight when setting the hands. This may be normal. This is my first Tag and have nothing to reference to.

May just have to break down and take I an AD to get their input. Does anyone know how much it costs to replace a movement?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Sounds like a service may be in order. Where did you purchase the watch and do you know the service history? I’d return it I could. Unless the seller disclosed the movement was in need of a service when you bought it.

You can look up TAG service costs on their website. However, a good watchmaker can probably fix it as well at a lower cost.

As for the AR WAF series, I think they look great! I have a soft spot for them as they look very much like my Classic 2000. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
Good morning WUS fam!

I recently purchased a Tag Aquaracer WAF2110 second-hand and it arrived yesterday. The watch isn’t working. Tried manually winding as well as just wearing it around to see if it would start up but no luck. Sadly I can’t return it as I purchased as is.

Is there anything you all would suggest checking? I can pop the case back off and take a peek but I don’t want to dive too far in to it as I’m scared I’ll damage even further.

Also the crown seems a little tight when setting the hands. This may be normal. This is my first Tag and have nothing to reference to.

May just have to break down and take I an AD to get their input. Does anyone know how much it costs to replace a movement?
I think you've got grounds to contact the seller if the watch arrived DOA. Did the sales post include something along the lines of "watch is running per specs"?

I'd either try to arrange a return or ask the seller to kick back a few $$$ to cover service costs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a service may be in order. Where did you purchase the watch and do you know the service history? I’d return it I could. Unless the seller disclosed the movement was in need of a service when you bought it.

You can look up TAG service costs on their website. However, a good watchmaker can probably fix it as well at a lower cost.

As for the AR WAF series, I think they look great! I have a soft spot for them as they look very much like my Classic 2000. Good luck!
I purchased it on Poshmark. The description stated that the “battery needed replacing” and “as is”. It was listed at a reasonable price point for a used AR, so I jumped on it. When it arrived I couldn’t get it going. It went to Posh for authentication but I doubt they check anything else.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
The waf2110 is an automatic correct? Sounds like it needs service. If the hands are tight to turn then there is a problem.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Don't go to an AD. Find a watchmaker in your area to service it. It will cost you less and you'll be able to speak face to face with the guy who will be servicing it. If you don't have a local watchmaker near you, there are reputable watchmakers that you can ship your watch to. I'm sure the WUS group can recommend a few.

Reactions: jamesbiz and BHP940

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It's an automatic. If they stated battery replacement I think you have grounds for a return. It's their error, or they were not truthful. OTOH, if you got a great deal, service might be the answer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the input!

I purchased for just at $400. After reading the “battery needs replacing” but knowing it’s an automatic, I thought maybe they weren’t up to speed on watches and just didn’t know how to get it going. I actually purchased a Hamilton Khaki King the same way and got it home and wound it a few times and it worked like a charm. But not so lucky this time.

I may just try and search out a watch maker in the area or nearby and see if they’ll take a look at it. Even if I drop another $400 on it, I’m still just shy of what the same model is going for used.

If anyone knows of any reputable watchmakers and have contact info, it would be greatly appreciated! Possibly near GA/SC.

For now I’m going to wear it around this weekend working or not! LOL

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Well....at least the time will be correct twice during the day.

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
What movement is in the watch? Quartz or mechanical?

If mechanical then is it an ETA?

The answer to these questions will decide who can service it for you, and Definetly what it will cost you to do so.

TAG is gonna be expensive, probably more than what you paid for it.

Reactions: Turpinr

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What movement is in the watch? Quartz or mechanical?

If mechanical then is it an ETA?

The answer to these questions will decide who can service it for you, and Definetly what it will cost you to do so.

TAG is gonna be expensive, probably more than what you paid for it.
It’s an automatic.

oh no! I figured as much. Just my luck.

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
It’s an automatic.

oh no! I figured as much. Just my luck.
I’m not familiar with what ticks in there, if it is an eta movement, even with a tag number tacked on for effect, then you will get a reasonably priced repair/service from your local watchmaker.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I haven’t pulled the case back. I may do that just to take a peek.
I wouldn't open it. You can't do anything to fix it so there's no benefit in opening it.

Reactions: jamesbiz

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Just to give you an idea how TAG's numbering system works.
WAF2110

W = Watch
AF = Series (Aquaracer)
2 = Automatic
1 = Man size ( generally 38mm/39mm)
1 = Steel Case
0 = Dial color

Reactions: mtench21

·
Registered
954 Posts
$400 for an automatic TAG Heuer Aquaracer is extremely inexpensive. For that price, I would be expecting something to be wrong - faulty movement, or even worse - a replica! The good news - I'm not aware of fakes of this model. Fakes from this era were not very good and you could probably easily tell them apart. The fakes of today's AR's and F1's are very good and hard to detect.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
That's worth fixing. Pre caliber 5 on the dial suggests this will have an eta 2824-2 which is a bonus since they are using sw200-1 now. Easy repair and easy to just replace the movement. This is assuming it is authentic, there were a lot of fakes on these. Opening the back will confirm authenticity so if you can do it safely and get a pic you can confirm the movement. But to be honest it looks legit.

·
Registered
16,938 Posts
$400 for an automatic TAG Heuer Aquaracer is extremely inexpensive. For that price, I would be expecting something to be wrong - faulty movement, or even worse - a replica! The good news - I'm not aware of fakes of this model. Fakes from this era were not very good and you could probably easily tell them apart. The fakes of today's AR's and F1's are very good and hard to detect.
This is correct.

On the other hand, if the seller stated it needs a battery, and they are correct, then it is likely a fake.

If you did it carefully, there is no harm in opening the back to take a quick look.

At the very least this will give an understanding as to the condition of the movement, whether the damage is related to water ingress, (rotted seals and rust is an obvious giveaway), and whether replacement of the movement is required, or a potentially less complex repair.

Either way, any competent watchmaker should be able to fix this and sounds like you went into this with your eyes open knowing it may have issues so should have budgeted for it…

SoOoO many watches SoOoO little time...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts